My 4 year old has two very rotten top front teeth. He was nursed until he was 2. At 2 his teeth were pearly white. Once he started drinking the water (we had well water) his teeth began to rot. We found out later the cause of rot was the well water - very high iron amongst other things. So now his two front teeth are exactly half 'brown' and the bottom half white. It looks like the white has been completely chipped off to expose the brown. Anyhow, constant brushing hasn't caused any improvement. I have begun to add cell salts and xylitol toothpaste. My question is...Can I keep doing this and hang on till he begins to lose his teeth being that he's 4? Can his brown teeth permanently damage his permanent teeth. My mom suggests to wait until his permanents come in. Meanwhile keep up the xylitol, diet, cell salts and brushings. Has anyone else had a child with this much decay and later had normal permanent teeth?
- topicDentaltagged by System, 12/3/11
Related Forum Threads
- Pregnancy and Dental Work? Last post on 4/1/14 at 11:32am in Dental
- Preemie Teeth? Last post on 3/26/14 at 1:41pm in Dental
- Lip tie, decay, remineralizing & WAPF diet.....help! Last post on 2/20/14 at 9:44pm in Dental
- Coconut oil? Last post on 1/31/14 at 9:35pm in Dental
- Is there a way to remove dental sealants? Last post on 1/21/14 at 5:23pm in Dental
The Thinking Parent's Dilemma; or, Another Dentist Refuses to...
Last edited: 3/13/13
- Difficulties at the DentistLast edited: 3/14/13
- Difficulties at the Dentist
Rotten Baby Teeth - Wait Till Permanents Come in?
Melissa, this is not personal experience, but I recently posted a similar question about my 3 year old on the Very Young Kids' Teeth Yahoo group and the response I got was that it wouldn't be wise to do nothing, but making major changes in dental routine could halt the decay, which would mean the permanent teeth likely wouldn't be damaged. In addition to the diet, cell salts, xylitol, and brushing, ozone treatment was recommended.
My sister went 37 years without a cavity and when she moved to a house with well-water, she got one within a year. He dentist said it's most likely from the well-water. I know many around here are not fond of fluoride, but dentists usually claim that decay from well-water is because it doesn't contain fluoride.
OP, I also would head to the dentist. It could become very painful for your child if the decay continues. If you disagree with the dentist's treatment plan, you don't have to follow it. I would definitely have his teeth looked at, though.
- › Nursing wear and tank tops.. BEWBS! 23 seconds ago
- › CNN: US Autism Rate Surges--AGAIN 25 seconds ago
- › Are you a competitive or cooperative mother? 4 minutes ago
- › age appropriate expectations for 4 and 7yo to clean up after... 8 minutes ago
- › Those Pesky "Anti-Vax" Experts 10 minutes ago
- › WFH with a baby? 11 minutes ago
- › Baby Gear PHOTOS 12 minutes ago
- › Pictures Used to Warn Parents 15 minutes ago
- › Due Date Roll Call! 15 minutes ago
- › Misgivings anyone? 23 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool
- › Mayim Bialik Opens Up About Her Breastfeeding... by Melanie Mayo