or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › *~*~*2012 Low Income Support Group*~*~*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*~*~*2012 Low Income Support Group*~*~* - Page 17

post #321 of 333

I'm still here.  You aren't the only ones still poor.  It's not temporary for us.  We've been dirt poor for 5 years and counting.  redface.gif  Christmas plans are coming right along.  Like I said a while back, it's gonna be small but I feel like the kids have at least one or two things each that they will enjoy.  It's just yardsale stuff but I have faith in them that they are grateful to receive anything(I hope).  Thanksgiving we never really celebrate and they go to their dad's house which they did also this year but the night before we were given a MASSIVE box(boxes) of food from our landlord's church.  It was absolutely everything you could need for cooking Thanksgiving dinner.  A giant 15lb turkey, fresh potatoes, apples, oranges, onions, celery, stuffing, tons of canned goods, pasta, a frozen pumpkin pie, jello, gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, etc etc.  Literally 2 boxes and 2 bags STUFFED with food, multiples of each item.  We were blown away.  There was so much food we actually shared with another family.  So if Christmas is smaller this year, I'm okay with it because Thanksgiving was giant!  We will do our homemade cinnamon rolls that I prep the night before and bake in the morning.  I like that tradition and it's cheap.  thumb.gif  

post #322 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmama View Post

I'm still here.  You aren't the only ones still poor.  It's not temporary for us.  We've been dirt poor for 5 years and counting.  redface.gif  Christmas plans are coming right along.  Like I said a while back, it's gonna be small but I feel like the kids have at least one or two things each that they will enjoy.  It's just yardsale stuff but I have faith in them that they are grateful to receive anything(I hope).  Thanksgiving we never really celebrate and they go to their dad's house which they did also this year but the night before we were given a MASSIVE box(boxes) of food from our landlord's church.  It was absolutely everything you could need for cooking Thanksgiving dinner.  A giant 15lb turkey, fresh potatoes, apples, oranges, onions, celery, stuffing, tons of canned goods, pasta, a frozen pumpkin pie, jello, gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, etc etc.  Literally 2 boxes and 2 bags STUFFED with food, multiples of each item.  We were blown away.  There was so much food we actually shared with another family.  So if Christmas is smaller this year, I'm okay with it because Thanksgiving was giant!  We will do our homemade cinnamon rolls that I prep the night before and bake in the morning.  I like that tradition and it's cheap.  thumb.gif  

That is awesome! I love hearing that kind of thing. I am starting to lose faith in the goodness of people anymore so that helps me.

 

We've had a rough few months even outside of finances. My aunt's long time boyfriend  and his son passed away all with in 6 months from the same form of cancer. My grandpa spent a month in the hospital and then passed away. Plus my uncle had the heart attack often refered to as 'the wdowmaker' because most people don't survive it. He did thankfully and is doing pretty well. My mom is in horrible pain and can't walk because she needs a hip replacement but her dr is making her lose weight before he will do it, but she can't exercise to lose weight and is stress eating with everything going on. My parents are on the verge of losing their business and home as well.

 

On the positive side I got a very small job watching kids at church each week. It isn't much but better than nothing. Hoping we can make it all stretch until we get a tax return. Well assuming it is a decent return in the 1st place.

 

Oh yeah, I may get a few thousand dollars from my grandpa's life insurance. This will be wonderfully helpful, but I am worried about food stamps and state medical coverage. Does anyone know if they will take them away if you get a small inheritance?

post #323 of 333
In so many ways things have improved for us. I feel truly blessed. On the other hand, I totally see thedivide between rich and poor. I guess I always thought once we were off of aid things would be so much better, but in fact they are still tight but just in a different way. Plus we had to take on a car payment. Its great we have the funds for that, dont get me wrong, and I am blessed to have family willing to cosign. But once we pay for car insuance and make the payment, plus buy groceries, we are just as broke as we were when we made less but were on aid. Oh, and now hubbys student aid is coming due.

We are comfortable right now since hubby is getting loads of overtime, but on the other hand I miss him and this holiday season has been stressful because of it. I also worry about the fact we currently dont have health insurance. We cant afford hubbys work insurance, but we dont qualify for anything else. Hopefully that will change in January when new plans come out. Oh, and we still havent come up with the taxes on said new car, and probably wont until tax time. Thats another stess.

Mac, they may expect you to spend your inheritance and show receipts. Some states do allow families to have savings though.

Justmama, thats so sweet for Thanksgiving, and also so sweet you shared.
post #324 of 333
Hi. I think I've posted maybe once but I'm still here. I don't have much to report. We're still nowhere near where I'd like us to be but I'm sure we could all say the same. Anyway, just checking in.
post #325 of 333

I'm still poor too, but getting better!  Lost the house in a domestic violence situation 6 years ago and ever since its been rough, rents & housing have skyrocketed where we live.  I went from darn near self sufficient single mom - only $100 or so in food stamps, no other welfare, owning my own home, working full time to the whole kit & caboodle of public housing, medicaid, food stamps, etc.  

 

I am working my way off one program at a time.  I was thrilled this year to wave farewell to Toys for Tots and the phone program!  Yay!

 

I recently got a bit of a windfall and was able to buy a more reliable vehicle free and clear.  Yay!

 

Hope for good reports from others also :)

post #326 of 333

I'm thinking we need a 2013 thread started..

 

So after paying all of our bills we have $540 left for everything else for 17 days. There are 4 of us. 2 adults and 2 toddlers. One of the toddlers eats as much as I do. This is my rough budget..how would you change it?

 

Gas- My husband's truck and the van (I need to use the van 6 days over this pay period, my DH needs to use his truck 11-12 days. Plus a roundtrip trip for dh back home and a 200 mi trip for me. I don't know if this is enough) : $240

 

Food/meds- I have to get some herbs for pregnancy, I'm having problems with my liver: $180

 

Personal- We each get $40, I'd sacrifice mine (and often do for food and such) but DH would never let go of his: $80

 

Fun- This is for stuff we do with the kids when DH has a day off or if we go out as a family for dinner: $40

 

Kids- Diapers/wipes/meds: $40


Edited by micah_mae_ - 12/28/12 at 12:12pm
post #327 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I'm thinking we need a 2013 thread started..

 

So after paying all of our bills we have $540 left for everything else for 17 days. There are 4 of us. 2 adults and 2 toddlers. One of the toddlers eats as much as I do. This is my rough budget..how would you change it?

 

Gas- My husband's truck and the van (I need to use the van 6 days over this pay period, my DH needs to use his truck 11-12 days. Plus a roundtrip trip for dh back home and a 200 mi trip for me. I don't know if this is enough) : $240

 

Food/meds- I have to get some herbs for pregnancy, I'm having problems with my liver: $180

 

Personal- We each get $40, I'd sacrifice mine (and often do for food and such) but DH would never let go of his: $80

 

Fun- This is for stuff we do with the kids when DH has a day off or if we go out as a family for dinner: $40

 

Kids- Diapers/wipes/meds: $40

No personal, No fun  (thats $120 right there)   sorry ;(

Take the kids to the park ,the library etc. Tons of free stuff you can do.   DH does not need 'fun' money when there is no money.

 

 

As for us, still poor

Starting a new FULL TIME job right after the new year.  It's almost a liveable wage, and will end my food stamps and medical (pushing me right back into poverty).  I'm currently looking for a rental because couch surfing isn't good.

2013 is a time to work on my mental health and guide DS into the teen years.  OMG.

post #328 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

No personal, No fun  (thats $120 right there)   sorry ;(
Take the kids to the park ,the library etc. Tons of free stuff you can do.   DH does not need 'fun' money when there is no money.


As for us, still poor
Starting a new FULL TIME job right after the new year.  It's almost a liveable wage, and will end my food stamps and medical (pushing me right back into poverty).  I'm currently looking for a rental because couch surfing isn't good.
2013 is a time to work on my mental health and guide DS into the teen years.  OMG.

$120 into gas/food? Or put aside?
post #329 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post


$120 into gas/food? Or put aside?

 I'd say use for gas/food if needed otherwise put aside and if it isn't needed then MAYBE a little fun money.

 

Also on your herbs have you shopped around for those? You maybe able to find better deals on line. http://mountainroseherbs.com/ or even amazon.com has some herbs

 

 

Zebra15: Congrats on the new job! I understand though about it being just enough to lose assistance and push you right back down.

post #330 of 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

 I'd say use for gas/food if needed otherwise put aside and if it isn't needed then MAYBE a little fun money.

 

Also on your herbs have you shopped around for those? You maybe able to find better deals on line. http://mountainroseherbs.com/ or even amazon.com has some herbs

 

 

Zebra15: Congrats on the new job! I understand though about it being just enough to lose assistance and push you right back down.

I can definitely give up my personal money and the "fun" money but I feel like if I took away DHs personal money he'd just use the card anyway or use our credit card to spend money. Maybe I can get him to take $20 and put $100 aside for emergencies...

Plus I think we will use less for our food budget because we are well stocked..I'll just have to see!

 

I can already feel the stress of those last few days before payday. :(

post #331 of 333

Its tough when you feel like DH won't sacrifice :(  

 

If you can, ordering your supplements online might be cheaper.  I pay about half the price online as I do in the health food store.

post #332 of 333

Went looking for a place to live today.  Hoping I'm 'close enough' to my eviction falling off the records that it wont matter.  Hoping that the fact I have an offer letter is good enough.  (Ive had employment all along just not full time).  Hoping the salary is enough to please the landlord.   Furniture??  HA!  thats a joke... we don't need furniture.. I'm just happy with the view  ;)

I guess I should do the online application and worry about everything else later.

 

It's close enough for DS to walk to swim club.  Has a beautiful view of the club, lake, golf course, is 2nd floor and is QUIET.  I'm all about the zen this year.  peace, quiet, all that.

 

Oh and its affordable.  Way less than the apartments in the same area (like $200 less)

post #333 of 333

Congrats and GL Zebra! Condolences to those feeling down this season.

 

I am full of hope for the new year. I think my last post may have been about us buying a house and getting out of the city. Which was wonderful. However, our landlord charged us over $3000 in lease breaking fees and final rent, then tried to charge us another $2000 in "damages". Luckily, I was smart enough to take detailed video of the place before we left, so I sent them a letter that said, basically, "Um, I think not. You'll not get another red cent out of us." So, instead of taking us to court like they would have normally (they are extremely litigious, but they knew they would lose), they just sent us to collections. Collections I can handle.

 

However, because of the huge expenditure, then the expense of moving, pre pays for garbage service and other utilities, and every little fee, running up things we needed on credit cards... (blush), we got in over our heads on budget. So, we got a shutoff on the electric, went to DHS for SER, and they wouldn't pay it because we'd not paid enough of our electric bill since moving in. So, I had to shop around for assistance, etc, etc, and in the meantime I could no longer ignore our budget deficit. I started selling plasma, which was the MOST HORRENDOUS "job" I've ever had. I was 100% wiped every time I left that place, for about 2 days, until I had to go again. I was asking questions about it and complaining about how bad it was on a FB group to which I belong (that actually started here on Mothering years ago), and they anonymously took up donations to help us! They sent us $500 by paypal, just all of a sudden. I was flabbergasted! I broke down crying, and decided to tape my reaction and a very tearful thank you for them. They all cried, too. (there's some hope in humanity for you)

 

So, with that boost, and the assistance with the electric bill, we were able to get back on top of our bills (and I was able to quit the plasma place). Our taxes, in just 6 short weeks (fingers crossed!) will get us completely out from under debt. After everything that's hanging over us is paid we will have $1000 more per month than we currently have! Dh will be able to get a car to travel back and forth to work, we'll have a real emergency fund (no more credit backslide!), and we'll even begin saving for other things, like retirement and the odd vacation (dh gets 3 weeks vacation this year. We could go visit his family that we've not seen in 10 years, or go do HS educational trips now and then!). It's so exciting to be THIS close to the end of "Poor." We will never be rich, we will never not be low income, having 5 kids, but we might be comfortable. And that's all we could ask for.

 

Tip to other homeowners (I know others here do own): I had no idea this was an option, since nobody advertises it, I'm sure. However, at least in MI (check with your local city or twp), if you meet income qualifications you can get a "Poverty Exemption" to your property taxes. We just filed with our township and were approved for 2012 winter taxes and 2013 summer. Depending upon your income, bills and other factors on a several-page application, the twp board makes a decision on what taxes you can afford. Our winter taxes were $2021 before the exemption. After the exemption our winter bill is $120. We turned this new bill and poverty exemption approval in to our lender and it reduced our monthly house payments by almost $200, plus we had an escrow surplus (since we'd been paying in since July) of over $800. We asked them to apply it to our December payment and, thus, skipped our payment for this month. This is an extremely helpful break to our monthly finances.

 

They did say they see the same people year after year, so it sounds like something you need to apply for yearly, but that it's always something available for which to apply. Hope it helps someone!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › *~*~*2012 Low Income Support Group*~*~*