or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › When Did you Forward Face?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When Did you Forward Face? - Page 2

Poll Results: When did you forward face you little one's carseat?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 5% (4)
    Exactly 12 Months
  • 14% (10)
    12 Month - 18 Months
  • 11% (8)
    18 Months - 24 Months
  • 27% (19)
    2 Years - 3 Years
  • 27% (19)
    3 Years - 4 Years
  • 11% (8)
    Over 4 Years
68 Total Votes  
post #21 of 64


Both?   The height and weight max are set by the restraint (so, for example, a Safety First Complete Air has a 40 lb rear facing max, and a 40 " rear facing max.)   If your child is within those limits, he should ride rear facing.   If your three year old is 35 lbs and 36", the correct way to use the Complete Air is in the rear facing mode.  If he's 41 lbs, you'd have to use it forward facing.   Did I explain that better? :-) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post


Maedze:  Is the height/weight recommendation relative to the child or the car seat?  I'm confused.  Thanks for clarifying.



 

post #22 of 64

car seat label.jpg

post #23 of 64


 

That is not a Britax label.  And it is not the label for the rear facing function of the seat.  Try again.   

post #24 of 64

This is my car seat. I never said I had a Britax. I was showing their website to show that they don't have a rear-facing car seat that goes over 35 pounds.

 

Our carseat is an Evenflo, and it was the best one we could afford.

post #25 of 64

What?  Did you even read the site you linked to?  All of Britax's second gen convertibles go to 40 lbs rear facing.  PLEASE actually read your source.  And your manual.  And your labels. 

 

If you go out and read the CORRECT label you will see that depending on which seat you had it goes to either 30 or 35.  Based on your label I'd say you have a Titan or a Tribute. 

post #26 of 64

I read my label, which said not to rear-face after 20 pounds. Did you read my label?

post #27 of 64

To be fair, I can see how the wording on that label can be misinterpreted but what it means is 'don't forward face your infant if they weigh less than 20lb'. Anyway, your son is fine so don't beat yourself up about it. 

post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

This is my car seat. I never said I had a Britax. I was showing their website to show that they don't have a rear-facing car seat that goes over 35 pounds.

 

Our carseat is an Evenflo, and it was the best one we could afford.

 

Here is evenflo's website:

 

http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=148&pfid=191

 

It says: 

  • Rear Facing for infants 5 to 35 lbs.
  • Forward Facing for infants 20 to 50 lbs.

 

That means a child can ride rearfacing from 5-35lbs, they can ride forward facing from 20-50lbs, if they are between 20-35lbs, and over 1yr old, they can ride rearfacing or forward facing.   

 

 

Other evenflos have a forward facing weight limit of 40, 50 or 65lbs, They rearface to either 35 or 40lbs depending on the model.   So a 20lb 15month old can rearface in ANY of evenflo's convertible seats, even the ones from 3yrs ago.


 

 

post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post

To be fair, I can see how the wording on that label can be misinterpreted but what it means is 'don't forward face your infant if they weigh less than 20lb'. Anyway, your son is fine so don't beat yourself up about it. 


It says (exact words as you can see in the picture) "Use only in a rear-facing position with an infant weighing less than 20 lbs."

 

I really don't see how I'm misinterpreting this.

post #30 of 64

YOU ARE READING THE FORWARD FACING LABEL.  GO READ YOUR REAR FACING LABEL. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

I read my label, which said not to rear-face after 20 pounds. Did you read my label?



 

post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post



It says (exact words as you can see in the picture) "Use only in a rear-facing position with an infant weighing less than 20 lbs."

I really don't see how I'm misinterpreting this.

The opposite of that is "Don't use in a forward facing position with an infant weighing less than 20 lbs" not "Don't use in a rear facing position with an infant over 20 lbs." It is very, very poorly worded, and I understand why you read it the way you did.
post #32 of 64

I forwardface my children from birth.  They need to learn to be tough right away, there's no coddling in this family.

post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

I read my label, which said not to rear-face after 20 pounds. Did you read my label?



Did you read the label on the other side?   It says rearfacing for 5-35lbs (or to 40lbs depending on what seat you have)

 

 

The label you took a picture of says " use only in a rearfacing position when using for an infant less than 20lbs"   It does NOT say "do not use rearfacing after 20lbs",  it just is saying if they are less than 20lbs they HAVE to be rearfacing, after 20lbs you have the option of forward or rearfacing (for a child over 1).  

 

Just because its the minimum doesn't mean its safe, my child is not a minimum, I go by what give him the maximum safety which is why he is rearfacing at 4yrs old.  Here in florida, the law also says that a 3yr old does not need a carseat.  Safe?  I don't think so!  My son was 25lbs on his 3rd birthday!  But its legal.  

 

 

Here is a story of an 18month old, 33lbs who was in an accident: http://www.joelsjourney.org/ 

Had he been rearfacing in this crash (which wasn't all that bad of a crash) he would likely not have had such awful injuries.   Yes, your son is ok, but thats because you didn't get into a crash.  If you had, the results could have been very different. 

post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post


The opposite of that is "Don't use in a forward facing position with an infant weighing less than 20 lbs" not "Don't use in a rear facing position with an infant over 20 lbs." It is very, very poorly worded, and I understand why you read it the way you did.


No, she's all ready had that explained to her and is choosing to ignore it. 

post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasciate View Post

I forwardface my children from birth.  They need to learn to be tough right away, there's no coddling in this family.



I adore you.

post #36 of 64

Check out the crash tests here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo&feature=related  (starting at 1:35 are the crash tests), and you can see what a HUGE difference it makes rearfacing vs forward facing in terms of how much damage is done to the child's neck, you can see from the video how much the kids heads move.  Its VERY clear which is safer. 

post #37 of 64

It says 'Use only in a rear facing position when using it with an infant weighing less than 20lb'. It would have been clearer if they had switched the clauses i.e.' When using it with an infant weighing less than 20lb, use only in the rear facing position'. The equivalent rear facing label should give the actual weight for rear facing.  

post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post



No, she's all ready had that explained to her and is choosing to ignore it. 


I'm not ignoring it, but the rear-facing label says the same thing. I will take a picture of it when it stops snowing. I see how it can be misinterpreted. All I said in my original post was that some car seats do not allow rear-facing beyond a certain weight limit. I was just frustrated by being condescended to. I followed the recommendation of our local fire department, but I can see that I'm a total idiot. I never, ever, ever said that it wasn't safer to rear-face.

 

I apologize and will bow out now. Hope everyone has a great day.

post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post



No, she's all ready had that explained to her and is choosing to ignore it. 

What, I'm supposed to read the whole thread before jumping in?redface.gif
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post

It says 'Use only in a rear facing position when using it with an infant weighing less than 20lb'. It would have been clearer if they had switched the clauses i.e.' When using it with an infant weighing less than 20lb, use only in the rear facing position'. The equivalent rear facing label should give the actual weight for rear facing.  



I agree, the wording is horrid, but it's required by NHTSA.   AND the manufacture also writes the actual limits of the seat on the same sticker.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › When Did you Forward Face?