My dd is days away from turning 1. I stayed home with her the first 4 months after she was born and had a really tough time emotionally with the idea of leaving her to go back to work. We couldn't find a daycare in our area that could accommodate a 4 month old, so we ended up going the nanny route. While our nanny is really great with our dd, we are just not 'nanny people' if that makes any sense. It has been nearly 8 months and I still feel like "someone has been sitting in my chair" all of the time. I really miss our home being ours.
Now that my dd is nearly 1, I checked out a daycare nearby today. It was a little overwhelming to see so many little ones in one space, but the ratio is 2 children to 1 caretaker. I have a list of pros and cons, and am leaning towards putting dd in daycare, but I wonder if I'm being selfish. I do want the best for my family.
I'm curious if other parents have made this switch from nanny to daycare and what your experience has been? Are you glad you did it?
Pros of sending dd to daycare:
- Social interaction with other children. Dd currently spends most of her time with adults and a handful of children that the nanny's friends babysit.
- We would save nearly $1k per month, which we could really use.
- I could have the flexibility of working from home when I'd like without having to tip-toe around the nanny.
- Our home would be ours again!
- Wouldn't have the nanny constantly telling me what the latest products are that my lo supposedly "needs"
- All of the "books" work would be handled by the daycare which is really nice
Cons of sending dd to daycare:
- Dd is familiar and comfortable around her nanny, so it might be hard for her to transition
- Dd would't have the luxury of constant 1-on-1 attention
- Breaking the news to the nanny, who we actually care about