or Connect
Mothering › Groups ›  April 2012 DDC › Discussions › UC support thread

UC support thread

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 

Howdy! lets chat UC! I think there are only a couple of us but we can do another role call biggrinbounce.gif Maybe we can share a bit about our plans? Share supplies resources or good reading? 

 

We are planning a UC after a fantastic short hospital birth with DD. Feeling great about our decision. We still need to find a rental place for the birth but we will likely be in NY state.  Right now we are in Denmark but decided this isnt the right place for us for lots of reasons. 

 

I started making a supplies list but need to wean it down a bit :) Im also starting a list of reading for DH. What are your plans for older kids? My dd is 3 and I am hoping DH will be able to keep her entertained during the labor and still help me out if I need anything (last time I was mostly on my own/in my own space) 

 

Are you getting a birth tub? If so which one? 

 

Happy to be here joy.gif

 

 

post #2 of 46

I must have typed for the last 30mins and then my computer crashed and Ilost EVERYTHING. UGH!!! So annoying!!!

 

Short version- I'm a UC mama!! But you already knew that, Itsy;) I'm due April 18th...thinking babe will come April 21st.

 

I have a huge supply list...I'll type it out a bit later. It's huge because I felt really prepared having everything I could possibly need...just in case...which helped with any anxiety I had.

 

My mom will be coming over to watch the kids. My 4yo was at our last birth and LOVED it. He still talks about it all the time. It's pretty neat. He just came downstairs when he heard me moaning(12:30am) and watched silently on the couch for over 40 mins. He was so thrilled. I know that he'll be woken up for the birth(he's almost 6yo now)...or he'll be very disappointed that he missed it. So we'll most likely wake our 4yo as well. My mom hasn't ever been to one of my births as she's always lived so far away, so I'm really excited to finally share this with her. She's ultra supportive of my decisions and is very excited to be with us. If it's during the day, she'll keep all the kids busy, and just join us closer to birth time, with all 3 kids. I'll also have a birth photographer which happens to be the doula that I had for my first 2 births :D She's not certified anymore as she's moving on and doing different things with her life, so she'll be able to join us without "getting in trouble" from DONA(doula org.) And then we'll also have my closest friend who will be flying in at 39 weeks to be here with us as well. I attended her UC this past April :D She's a doula as well- we met in our training course 3 years ago. Oh and my hubby, can't forget him! LOL:)

 

I'll have a few more people than last time but I know that all of them are quiet, respectful women who know exactly what I want and all of them want me to have an incredible experience. If I ask them to leave the birthing space....they wouldn't hesitate for a moment :D

 

About books.....Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis. LOVE it. Also, Laura Shanleys Unassisted Childbirth. If you can join the Bornfree forum, it has amazing info on it as well. I love the women...so helpful and pleasant:) www.unassistedchildbirth.com

 

I have a tub already, the one I used last time. It's the Aquaborn. The big green one with the lid. I LOVE IT. I've seen all of the birth tubs on the market and this one is hands down the nicest one. I love the padded, white bottom. It is the deepest one as well and with the lid, you can fill it up ahead of time and the temp only drops a degree every hour. I was recently at a UC(I'm an uncertified doula) and let Mama borrow my tub and she loved it as well. She could get her entire belly submerged and the handles really came in handy for her.

 

I am so excited for another UC! I thought I'd be nervous about it....but so far I have no reservations and everything feels right.

 

Are you seeing someone for prenatal care? Or looking after yourself?

 

Chat soon!! Julie

 

post #3 of 46
Thread Starter 

julie we have the same due date- the 18th! nursing so just a quick note...

 

i had dd 4 days "early" so im thinking early again...but who knows. why are you thinking the 21?

 

i'm getting prenatal care here in denmark and i think ill continue in the usa as minimally as i can, only to avoid any red tape or cps problems after the birth. we will probably take baby to see our much loved pedi at some point before filling for the birth cert. for the same reasons.

 

I had a lost twin and bleeding at 11 weeks, so ive had multiple u/s- i didnt have any w/ dd. its been a different pregnancy but is feeling allot better now i know baby is ok and i can have a normal biirth (they first diagnosed me wrongly as placenta previa...)

 

what state are you in if you dont mind mw asking? any birth certificate advice? are you getting prenatal care?

 

dd is soooo excited to be at the birth. we are getting her "special scissors" so she can cut the cord, and she wants to be the one to tell if its a boy or girl ROTFLMAO.gif

 

excited to see your supply list.... im also planning in that area- it makes me happy and i enjoy it...even the picking out plastic sheets! im looking at the pool you like now. 

 

more soon :)

 

 

 

post #4 of 46

Can I lurk here and ask questions occasionally? UC is my plan current B, but I am pretty much on the fence and probably will be till the end, when i see once and for all what feels most right.

post #5 of 46

question for you guys, with the UC do you guys do any testing for gestational diabetes? i have my children at the hospital, but i decline pretty much everything there, i've never done that sugar test with either of my first two children, this one i was getting crap from some people about not doing it. what are you thoughts?

post #6 of 46
Thread Starter 

nope, not doing the GD test. didnt do it with DD who was a hospital birth either. 

post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybistyspider View Post

julie we have the same due date- the 18th! nursing so just a quick note...

 

i had dd 4 days "early" so im thinking early again...but who knows. why are you thinking the 21?

 

i'm getting prenatal care here in denmark and i think ill continue in the usa as minimally as i can, only to avoid any red tape or cps problems after the birth. we will probably take baby to see our much loved pedi at some point before filling for the birth cert. for the same reasons.

 

I had a lost twin and bleeding at 11 weeks, so ive had multiple u/s- i didnt have any w/ dd. its been a different pregnancy but is feeling allot better now i know baby is ok and i can have a normal biirth (they first diagnosed me wrongly as placenta previa...)

 

what state are you in if you dont mind mw asking? any birth certificate advice? are you getting prenatal care?

 

dd is soooo excited to be at the birth. we are getting her "special scissors" so she can cut the cord, and she wants to be the one to tell if its a boy or girl ROTFLMAO.gif

 

excited to see your supply list.... im also planning in that area- it makes me happy and i enjoy it...even the picking out plastic sheets! im looking at the pool you like now. 

 

more soon :)

 

 

 


I'm thinking the 21st for silly reasons....I have gone late twice(my first was 10 days past and my second was 5 days past) but it's more of the number than anything else. I had my first on the 15th, my second on the 17th, my third on the 19th(all different months) and so I'm just going with it and expecting the 21st this time! LOL

 

I'm actually in Alberta, Canada. It's not as crazy here with CPS as it is on the States. I have dealt with them before though. I had one of my clients investigated but it was such a non-event that I'm really not worried about it. They came and asked questions and although the mom refused to let them in, they could see that their house was tidy, their older child was well taken care of, they had a nice vehicle and nice townhouse and the parents were very knowledgeable about birth etc....they just asked the usual things and then were never heard from again.

The way it works here(and it's different in every State and Province) is, after the birth, I write a detailed statement of the birth. I send it in to VItal Stats and then they send me a package to fill out- 3 people must write out statements-one on proof of residency, proof of pregnancy and proof of live birth. Send all the info in and voila! Done:) What State will you be in...I know of a place on the net where I can get specific info on each States rules...

What I've done this time about prenatal care is take care of myself but my family Dr. thinks I'm being seen by an unregistered midwife. That way when I go in and asked for blood req's she doesn't bat an eye because she knows my "midwife" can't give me those forms. I know lying isn't nice...but I'm not willing to tell her the truth. I can then ask to get the pku done after by her as well and she won't be asking why a midwife here can't do that. I really don't need to see anyone here as I refuse all testing and I can do the rest easily on my own. I'll get back on here tonight and list my supplies! Talk soon! Julie
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess in hawaii View Post

Can I lurk here and ask questions occasionally? UC is my plan current B, but I am pretty much on the fence and probably will be till the end, when i see once and for all what feels most right.



Absolutely! The more the merrier!!!

post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarasue View Post

question for you guys, with the UC do you guys do any testing for gestational diabetes? i have my children at the hospital, but i decline pretty much everything there, i've never done that sugar test with either of my first two children, this one i was getting crap from some people about not doing it. what are you thoughts?



I don't test. I tested with my first...huge ordeal. Over the cut-off and had to do the 3hr test...which made me feel horrible but I passed with flying colours. So after that I declined it. If you can get ahold of Sarah Buckley's book, Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering- she has a whole section dedicated to the "tests" they do in pregnancy. After reading the section on GD...I really don't feel the need to do it. Good luck with your decisions!! xo

post #9 of 46
...
Edited by Tulafina - 10/23/13 at 10:17am
post #10 of 46

Sorry...first pic was taken a few SECONDS after his birth...LOL

post #11 of 46

tulafina i love your pictures, you ladies are amazing. I had a midwife with baby #1, he came early and the midwife wanted me to do a stress test at the hospital, my water broke so i went to see if all was good, i was told i could go home and walk to help contractions start, take my temp to make sure that no infections were taking on, or stay at the hospital, i chose to stay. I do love epiderals, although i try to go without as long at a can.

 

thanks for the inputs on the diabetes test, i asked on babycenter and couldnt believe all the negative responses i got. also thanks for the book idea, christmas present to me :)

post #12 of 46

tulafina- that looks like a big baby! Was he?

post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess in hawaii View Post

tulafina- that looks like a big baby! Was he?



He was 8lbs8oz:) He was almost 22in long though, just like my 2nd son:)

post #14 of 46
Thread Starter 

tula- i love your pictures! what cute kids you have! 

post #15 of 46

Hi there!  I'm also planning a UC for this baby, which is my first.  I will be borrowing a birth tub from some friends, I'm not sure which kind it is yet. The plan at the moment is to have DH and my mom there as a support team (mom will come over from California) and also to have one or two friends on-call if I feel I need them. Both have had UCs before and one is studying to be a doula so there's some good wisdom and experience there.

I've read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Birthing From Within. I'm also planning to borrow Sarah Buckley's Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering. I'm also doing a pregnancy/birth yoga class taught by a yoga teacher who is also a doula.

 

There's a great homebirth support network/forum here in Australia which I've been a part of for the past few years (long before I was even pregnant), and I've learned so much from that. I've also gotten to know some great women from the local homebirthing community so I feel really well supported for pregnancy, birth, and beyond.  I feel that having a supportive community of women is vitally important, especially in the early weeks/months for helping with breastfeeding issues and anything else that may come up. Since all of my family (and DH's) is abroad, it's even more important for us to have that support network.

 

The pictures are lovely, tula -thanks for sharing them. It looks like you had an absolutely beautiful birth.


Edited by chapluqa - 12/13/11 at 8:36pm
post #16 of 46

Beautiful pictures!  Thank you!  I know it's fundamentally different, but we are always open to the idea of UC.  I love our midwives and look forward to their presence and support, but if they didn't make it (not the same, I know) or if they felt somehow obligated to risk us out for something we don't believe to be a concern (breech, for example), then we would not blink an eye about birthing alone.  I love being tended to and cared for by midwives, but I don't believe they are essential to the safety of birth.  Birth is safe on it's own, and in fact, most complications stem from interference in the process...especially here in the developed world.  So, I hope you don't mind me being a supportive lurker! 

post #17 of 46
Thread Starter 

tula and all- do you have a fetoscope or doppler? do you plan to use it during labor or just see how it goes? if you have one which one and do you like it? 

post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarasue View Post

tulafina i love your pictures, you ladies are amazing. I had a midwife with baby #1, he came early and the midwife wanted me to do a stress test at the hospital, my water broke so i went to see if all was good, i was told i could go home and walk to help contractions start, take my temp to make sure that no infections were taking on, or stay at the hospital, i chose to stay. I do love epiderals, although i try to go without as long at a can.

 

thanks for the inputs on the diabetes test, i asked on babycenter and couldnt believe all the negative responses i got. also thanks for the book idea, christmas present to me :)



Thanks Tarasue! Have you tried a birth without an epi? Just wondering :) I'm a doula and the few women that have had it both ways, swear that the healing, the birth high, and the pushing were all way better for them without the epi.  I personally can't answer the question but it's nice to hear how the experiences differ etc :) Oh yeah..and BC is AWFUL!!! I will not even read stuff posted on there much less ask a question! LOL Everyone seems so angry...



Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybistyspider View Post

tula- i love your pictures! what cute kids you have! 


Thanks Itsy! When they're not destroying my house, I think they're pretty cute too...LOL

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by chapluqa View Post

Hi there!  I'm also planning a UC for this baby, which is my first.  I will be borrowing a birth tub from some friends, I'm not sure which kind it is yet. The plan at the moment is to have DH and my mom there as a support team (mom will come over from California) and also to have one or two friends on-call if I feel I need them. Both have had UCs before and one is studying to be a doula so there's some good wisdom and experience there.

I've read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Birthing From Within. I'm also planning to borrow Sarah Buckley's Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering. I'm also doing a pregnancy/birth yoga class taught by a yoga teacher who is also a doula.

 

There's a great homebirth support network/forum here in Australia which I've been a part of for the past few years (long before I was even pregnant), and I've learned so much from that. I've also gotten to know some great women from the local homebirthing community so I feel really well supported for pregnancy, birth, and beyond.  I feel that having a supportive community of women is vitally important, especially in the early weeks/months for helping with breastfeeding issues and anything else that may come up. Since all of my family (and DH's) is abroad, it's even more important for us to have that support network.

 

The pictures are lovely, tula -thanks for sharing them. It looks like you had an absolutely beautiful birth.


Yay! Another UC Mama!!! Welcome!!

The book that I love is Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis:) Great to have on hand for minor issues etc. She's very hands off and is very thorough in her writing.

And thank you for the compliment!! We did have a lovely birth:) It was quiet and non-eventful...just like I wanted it to be! I'm trying to get my birth video uploaded to my computer because I would love to show it to you gals in this private group. I don't know how comfy I would feel with the world seeing it....but to a supportive audience, I'm totally fine with that!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by wwisdomskr View Post

Beautiful pictures!  Thank you!  I know it's fundamentally different, but we are always open to the idea of UC.  I love our midwives and look forward to their presence and support, but if they didn't make it (not the same, I know) or if they felt somehow obligated to risk us out for something we don't believe to be a concern (breech, for example), then we would not blink an eye about birthing alone.  I love being tended to and cared for by midwives, but I don't believe they are essential to the safety of birth.  Birth is safe on it's own, and in fact, most complications stem from interference in the process...especially here in the developed world.  So, I hope you don't mind me being a supportive lurker! 



Welcome! Lurk away!! This is what I did throughout my second birth. I had mw's as well and knew that I was going to call them(mainly for my hubby though)....but secretly I was planning a UC for my third while still pregnant with my second! LOL!

My birth ended up being hands on for no reason at all other than the mw felt the need to DO stuff to me and I had very bad PP mood swings after that birth. I thought they were normal...

I ended up getting prenatal care with the same mw for #3 as we have no other mw's here in my town, but I told her at 33w that I would not be calling her for the birth. She seemed ok with that at first. I told her that she could let me go..I understood that the regulations that she had to abide by would not let her do my care if she wasn't going to be at the birth(and she knew it beforehand..not an accidental UC). She told me that she did not want to let me go just in case I changed my mind. I stayed on with her and had a UC. She came about 40mins after the birth and I could tell she was miffed. She brought anger into the house with her and I wish I had told her to leave as this was not the energy I wanted around me or baby. She really thought I was going to call and in her words, "chicken out". I guess she's never had anyone go through with it in 30 years! Which is shocking to me....does she not suspect that some of the women that had accidental UC's with her did that on purpose??? I would!  Anyway, this is what really drove me to UC and my hubby knew I was unhappy with our experience as well so I'm sure he was expecting this :) He's very much on board with a hands off pregnancy and birth...I'm very thankful. 

And thank you for your compliment:) xo



Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybistyspider View Post

tula and all- do you have a fetoscope or doppler? do you plan to use it during labor or just see how it goes? if you have one which one and do you like it? 


I use a fetoscope. I bought one for $20 at a midwifery conference about 2 years ago. It works really well after about 25 weeks or so(I'm a bit fluffy...so if you are thin, you can hear it sonner than that). I also have a doppler on hand that I purchased with my first pregnancy. I had no idea about the effects of doppler or u/s at that time(I researched it more with #2 and decided against regular use). I do still have it though...not that I think I really need it...just more because if I really felt the need to hear the HB during labour I would probably just use the doppler instead of taking minutes to find it with the stethescope. I wouldn't want to listen unless I felt that there was something wrong. With my UC last year, we didn't listen at all throughout. Baby was active and labour progressed so quickly that it didn't even cross my mind. I'll do the same this time around as well.

 

This is the fetoscope that I use:) - http://inhishands.com/Fetal-Stethoscope.4995   It's $25 online

 

The doppler that I use was pricey to buy...about $225 at the time. Looking back it's not worth it, IMO. Maybe rent one...or borrow if you can???

 

 

I'm hoping to have some time today topost my birth supply list....I tried last weekend but with the kids all being sick and miserable, I'd type half of it out and then my computer would log itself out after 15 mins of no use...frustrating. Anyway, talk to you ladies later!!

 

post #19 of 46

OK, so I'm not sure how to feel about this, here's the situation....

I have entertained the idea of UC with my previous two pregnancies, but ended up at using midwives just because it felt like the best choice available to me (although I was rather far along before getting prenatal care a couple times). This time I am planning on a birth center birth with midwives because I feel it best meets some of my larger needs (non-medical, strictly situational), but am feeling like UC is still a real possibility, my solid Plan B. 

So here is the thing...

I went for my 3rd prenatal yesterday, and saw one of the OBs, which was fine, but I saw her for like 5 minutes and not because she couldn't be bothered but because that is how non-invasive this practice is. I actually said, after she listened to the baby, "Aren't you going to measure it?" to which she replied, very casually, "Oh. I did, I measured with my hand, you're measuring 21."

!!!!!

I am used to midwives who measure, and if it seems a little off, dig in and make sure they really have the tape in the right place. I also thought I would have had to have a finger prick again by now, but even though they did extensive blood work on my first visit, that was it. I mean, I'm not complaining, really, it just seems... odd, to walk into this very clinical setting and not have anything happen that I can't do myself, y'know? And while in one way i am certainly grateful for their approach, it also feels a little pointless to go at all. So I am left with a HCP that feels really compatible in so many ways, but by it's nature is almost validating that I don't need them. Weird, huh?

post #20 of 46

OMG! After seeing those pictures I can not wait for April to get here!!!!! I need to go look at my waterbirth pics now.

 

Hi everyone. I thought I was going to be a little more standard care then stay home for a MW attended homebirth this time around but it looks like we are moving to thinking MW attended homebirth maybe UC. DH just today said he was much more comfortable with a UC than a hospital birth! Big change from last time when there was no way he would even talk about a UC.

 

I've had 2 MW attended homebirth/waterbirths. Both with the same, unregistered midwife. The second time, just like she will be this time, she was out of state from us and traveled to be with us. So at least for me, I know a UC is always a possibility and I prepare for it.

 

I have had trouble with both of my previous births getting labor going. I've had lots of start stop labor. With my first it went on for 3 weeks. With my second it started with my water breaking and then went on for a week. There was plenty of time for my MW to get to me. (I've learned after the fact that there is a maternal family history of this, so it's normal for me I think.) After things got moving I went on to have beautiful homebirths.

 

I would love to just have labor start and keep going this time around. I've done a lot of testing with this pregnancy that I did not do with my others (shadow standard prenatal care) and I've discovered and corrected a few hormonal issues. I'm wondering if it will make a difference for labor. If it does than a UC is a very real possibility.

 

During my last labor my DH was an amazing source of support. He was not fearful like the first so I think it made a huge difference. He made his body a prefect support for me, weather it was hanging on his shoulders for contractions while walking, holding onto his ankles while I floated belly down in the birth pool through active labor or leaning back on him between contractions during transition. He "caught" both of our babies and passed them to me since I birthed them both on my knees gripping the side of the pool. I give him credit for overcoming the ick factor of being in the water with me for all that pushing and all of the netting of the goo. it was so nice to lift my baby out of the water and then just float back onto his lap for support while meeting the new little one.

 

My DD was almost 4 for her brother's birthday. She had just fallen asleep when I came out of transition. I remember calling to her in between pushes. I love that she just stripped down and hopped in with us. DS is about a minute old here.

 

Sam's birth.jpg

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2012 DDC
Mothering › Groups ›  April 2012 DDC › Discussions › UC support thread