My daughter just hurt our dog. She stepped on her paw. She's been told before not to and I've always prided myself on raising such a kind and loving child. My heart is breaking to see her do something so cruel. Advice?
- topicGentle Discipline
Related Forum Threads
- What do you do when your child bites? Last post on Today at 2:01 am in Gentle Discipline
- Unreasonable? Alternatives? Last post on 5/21/13 at 2:02pm in Gentle Discipline
- Is my 3 year old normal? Last post on 5/18/13 at 8:44pm in The Childhood Years
- "Bad Mommy!" Last post on 5/17/13 at 3:16pm in Gentle Discipline
- Multitasking While Breastfeeding - I don't know where to post this... Last post on 5/14/13 at 8:47am in Breastfeeding
Holiday time: when family & friends criticise your parenting...
Edited on 11/19/12
- Playful Parenting, Simplicity Parenting or Full-tilt Ferber?Edited on 10/26/12
- Stop SpankingEdited on 3/14/13
- Sacred SpaceEdited on 3/20/13
- Stress Management & the Talking StickEdited on 3/20/13
What to do when child disappoints you?post #1 of 712/16/11 at 11:07amThread Starterpost #2 of 712/16/11 at 12:04pmpost #3 of 712/16/11 at 12:12pmThread Starterpost #4 of 712/16/11 at 2:49pm
Sympathize with the dog. Pet and love him. Point out how hurt he is and tell your daughter to be gentle. Ask her how she would feel if someone stepped on her foot.
Drop your disappointment/expectation of how you want her to act ... this is about her and the dog and a learning experience. Reacting too strongly will guarantee repeat events. She could also be hurting the dog to get attention from you so make sure you work in extra time together.post #5 of 712/16/11 at 3:29pm
It does sound like 4 yo boundary testing/attention getting behavior. I agree with lovepickles. Take care of the dog and then explain to your daughter that it hurts and is not ok. Some praise for a dog who does not react to that is definitely in order too. These minor childhood transgressions do not mean she will not be kind and loving.post #6 of 712/16/11 at 6:35pm
Similar age son here, generally a dear sweetie, but lately... vicious moments.
I do that thing that lovepickles says about tending the dog, and I have a stock phrase "We NEVER hurt other beings, and your dog feels sad right now, let's try to make her feel safe and loved. She loves the way you usually pet her, can you do that right now to help her feel better? Oh look, she's wagging her tail, she really likes that, let's do that some more!"
etc, etc, and when my son is back to feeling proud about his caretaking, I remind him about never hurting others on purpose, and how our pets are our family members too, and he has a job to teach them about gentleness. I try to end with positive reinforcement of the kind behavior.
- What to do when child disappoints you?
- Playful Parenting, Simplicity Parenting or Full-tilt Ferber?
- › Dinner - What Are You Having? 2 minutes ago
- › I feel like I am the only one in the world that choses not to... 8 minutes ago
- › Postpartum contraception needs? 12 minutes ago
- › Overweight children - is it parental neglect? 12 minutes ago
- › It looks like im not having a Home Birth this time around 14 minutes ago
- › Do things have to be even between siblings? 14 minutes ago
- › Prenatal Vit. if you are not pregnant? 17 minutes ago
- › (yet another) Moving to Syracuse (post) 23 minutes ago
- › Blooming 1000 minutes Challenge for May 2013!!! 24 minutes ago
- › Yo names 26 minutes ago
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Glamourmom Nursing Bra Tank by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo