I just found out that I'm pregnant, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for midwives in the Bay area? We live in Palo Alto, but haven't lived here for that long. I am very interested in having a homebirth (possibly a waterbirth), and I'd like the experience to be as free of interventions and other tests as possible. Any experiences or recommendations would be very welcomed!
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a midwife/ travelling midwife for a boat birth in the Bahamas Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:17am in Midwives
- looking for a homebirth midwife around great falls mt Last post on 12/3/13 at 12:29am in Midwives
- In search of a CMN for a home birth in Howard County/MD Last post on 12/3/13 at 12:31am in Midwives
- Midwives in Birmingham al and surrounding areas Last post on 10/22/13 at 9:10am in Midwives
- Good Midwives in Columbus, Ohio Area Last post on 11/27/13 at 12:27pm in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan
Black Women DO VBAC!- An Interview With Birth Activist, Melek Speros
Last edited: 11/14/13
- Director of Birth Story on Mothering While FilmmakingLast edited: 10/3/13
- Why It Was So Hard to Say Goodbye to My MidwifeLast edited: 9/5/13
- The Birth Center Study- Hope For Lowering the Cesarean RateLast edited: 2/1/13
- honoring midwives . . . and Peggy!Last edited: 3/11/13
midwives in the bay area (california)?post #1 of 512/16/11 at 8:26pmThread Starterpost #2 of 512/17/11 at 12:15pm
Try this: http://www.bayareamidwives.com/
You're looking for ones that say they serve the Peninsula.
I haven't worked with any of those in particular, but I have interviewed Tanaya, and I've read a lot of Ronnie's website (she's well known in MW circles).
As far as interventions, if you have any deal-breakers, ask on the phone. Everything else can be discussed during the interview, but I haven't really had a problem with the MWs around here being willing to let me direct my own care.
I interviewed 8 or 9 MWs this pg, and I think 8 (different ones) my previous pg. So don't feel bad about telling them you'll get back to them after interviews are done.
HTHpost #3 of 512/17/11 at 2:43pm
Hi I have heard good things about Judi Tinkelenburg. She used to be the midwife at Sage Femme in SF, but I believe she now just does homebirth.
Also my friend had a lovely, no intervention, cnm attended birth at Mills Peninsula a few months ago. Is that super far from Palo Alto??
Good luck!post #4 of 512/23/11 at 3:14pmpost #5 of 51/28/12 at 2:04pm
I can offer a NON recommendation. The name was Jeri and basically she accepted general MediCal and so we went with her. She left me alone at the hospital. Lied to me about some hospital policies (which the nurses on duty actually came to tell me the truth about) and made lots of threats. She also called an emergency c-section on me and thankfully, I pushed my baby out on the way to the section! She immediately after the birth, reached up and yanked up my placenta, causing 3 months of hemmoraging. And neglected to do her follow up appointment but still charged for it.
I had another friend who went with her who was also abandoned by her right at the endand ended up with a section, alone at the hospital. I have no idea if she is still in practice. I hear that she was very good, once. By the time I hired her, she seemed totally burned out. She straight up told me that she was tired and had things to do that day and simply would not be coming in to labor with me. :( Her practice was in San Francisco.
- Director of Birth Story on Mothering While Filmmaking
- › Chicken Pox - My son has been excused from school 25 seconds ago
- › Location of movement in breech birth vs. vertex 1 minute ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 3 minutes ago
- › Who's wearing maternity clothes? 6 minutes ago
- › Your top 5 Toddler Activities? 11 minutes ago
- › Quail 16 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 16 minutes ago
- › December already 17 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 21 minutes ago
- › December Unschooling Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Stephafriendly
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Vaccinations and George W Bush by Brian Leaf
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo