I just found out that I'm pregnant, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for midwives in the Bay area? We live in Palo Alto, but haven't lived here for that long. I am very interested in having a homebirth (possibly a waterbirth), and I'd like the experience to be as free of interventions and other tests as possible. Any experiences or recommendations would be very welcomed!
Related Forum Threads
- Starting the search for a Midwife in the Portland, Oregon region... Last post on 2/13/14 at 3:46pm in Midwives
- Looking for a midwife/ travelling midwife for a boat birth in the Bahamas Last post on 12/3/13 at 10:17am in Midwives
- looking for a homebirth midwife around great falls mt Last post on 12/3/13 at 12:29am in Midwives
- In search of a CMN for a home birth in Howard County/MD Last post on 12/3/13 at 12:31am in Midwives
- Midwives in Birmingham al and surrounding areas Last post on 10/22/13 at 9:10am in Midwives
Black Women DO VBAC!- An Interview With Birth Activist, Melek Speros
Last edited: 11/14/13
- Director of Birth Story on Mothering While FilmmakingLast edited: 10/3/13
- Why It Was So Hard to Say Goodbye to My MidwifeLast edited: 9/5/13
- The Birth Center Study- Hope For Lowering the Cesarean RateLast edited: 2/1/13
- honoring midwives . . . and Peggy!Last edited: 3/11/13
midwives in the bay area (california)?post #1 of 512/16/11 at 8:26pmThread Starterpost #2 of 512/17/11 at 12:15pm
Try this: http://www.bayareamidwives.com/
You're looking for ones that say they serve the Peninsula.
I haven't worked with any of those in particular, but I have interviewed Tanaya, and I've read a lot of Ronnie's website (she's well known in MW circles).
As far as interventions, if you have any deal-breakers, ask on the phone. Everything else can be discussed during the interview, but I haven't really had a problem with the MWs around here being willing to let me direct my own care.
I interviewed 8 or 9 MWs this pg, and I think 8 (different ones) my previous pg. So don't feel bad about telling them you'll get back to them after interviews are done.
HTHpost #3 of 512/17/11 at 2:43pm
Hi I have heard good things about Judi Tinkelenburg. She used to be the midwife at Sage Femme in SF, but I believe she now just does homebirth.
Also my friend had a lovely, no intervention, cnm attended birth at Mills Peninsula a few months ago. Is that super far from Palo Alto??
Good luck!post #4 of 512/23/11 at 3:14pmpost #5 of 51/28/12 at 2:04pm
I can offer a NON recommendation. The name was Jeri and basically she accepted general MediCal and so we went with her. She left me alone at the hospital. Lied to me about some hospital policies (which the nurses on duty actually came to tell me the truth about) and made lots of threats. She also called an emergency c-section on me and thankfully, I pushed my baby out on the way to the section! She immediately after the birth, reached up and yanked up my placenta, causing 3 months of hemmoraging. And neglected to do her follow up appointment but still charged for it.
I had another friend who went with her who was also abandoned by her right at the endand ended up with a section, alone at the hospital. I have no idea if she is still in practice. I hear that she was very good, once. By the time I hired her, she seemed totally burned out. She straight up told me that she was tired and had things to do that day and simply would not be coming in to labor with me. :( Her practice was in San Francisco.
- Director of Birth Story on Mothering While Filmmaking
- › General Chat 27 minutes ago
- › Nausea 45 minutes ago
- › Send me good vibes 50 minutes ago
- › Asbestos? 1 hour ago
- › personailty conflict 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Totally OT Good News!!! 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Wanting But Waiting 2014 2 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › 16 weeks pregnant and thinking of getting a young dog. Am I crazy? 3 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Little Girls Growing Up- Whats to much and whats ok 3 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Sodium Ascorbate 3 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Marcy Axness
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea
- › Mothering Pregnancy Photo Contest 2014 Terms... by Cynthia Mosher