my dh and i have been trying to get out of debt for the last couple years. for various reasons we have about 40k in cc debt. we are both now working, dh was out of work, but we don't seem to be getting anywhere. last year i had bought a car from my lease and had trouble finding someone to finance me. i think my fico is about 650. my dh may be a little better. i would love to refinance and get rid of some or all of our debt. then we could begin saving and get our heads above water again. we have 2 kids 5 and 2. have mort 30 yr fixed at 5.25% and owe about 190k and 2nd mort for 20k at about 7%. i have called all cc's and closed some accounts and negotiated low rates. wdyt? will anyone refinance us? is it worth trying? any advice would be very appreciated. i don't want to hear how or why we got into debt. we are in this spot now and i'm not sure where to go from here.
Related Forum Threads
- Does anyone here do a monthly bulk shop? Advice and tips needed. Last post on 5/19/13 at 11:53pm in Frugality & Finances
- Anyone else divorcing and being forced to file for bankruptcy? Last post on 5/12/13 at 5:04pm in Frugality & Finances
- Getting Out of Debt - May 2013 Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:48am in Frugality & Finances
- May No Spend Challenge~~ May the SAVING flowers bloom for you!!! Last post on 5/20/13 at 6:34pm in Frugality & Finances
- Anyone else stressing out about how they are going to afford health insurance? Last post on 5/5/13 at 5:10am in Frugality & Finances
Will anyone refinance our mortgage? wdyt..post #1 of 412/25/11 at 8:16pmThread Starterpost #2 of 412/26/11 at 9:40ampost #3 of 412/27/11 at 3:42am
We did a refi and the house appraisal had to be atleast the amount of the refi loan.Meaning the amount we still owe on the house.Our housewas worth about 10k less than what we bought it for,but we had already paid off 20k. If you don't have atleast that then there is no point. I would spend the closing cost money by throwing it at the second mortgage PRINCIPAL. I would want to pay off that second loan first.Minimun on everything else.
Maybe get some more of the credit card debt slashed.Some hold payments and when the CC company makes a payment offer you use that held payments to pay it off.Most though just spend the cash like my friend who stopped paying her $500 rent,and yet did not save her rent for when she would have to get a new place.
I have heard that even with bankruptcy you now still have to pay some of the debt,and ofcourse your credit is way ruined for 7 years.I would not opt for that unless there was a major illness that resulted in no income.post #4 of 412/27/11 at 4:33am
Ok, refinancing can be an option and I would go with a credit union. They're much better and give better loans. However that being said, call your credit card companies and see what you can work out. Lower interest rates maybe even turning the credit into a loan. I had a BofA card and they actually turned it into a 5 yr loan interest was 2% and no late fees. Actually no fees at all. I haven't gotten my other credit card companies to do this but that one card turned into a loan has helped me so much.
Also you can try to settle your debt, you just have to scream bankruptsy into the phone a few times, that's how I got one interest rate lowered from 21% to 6%.
Good Luck, I know the spot you're in and it sucks!
- Will anyone refinance our mortgage? wdyt..
- › Move to Hawaii with only one income? 1 minute ago
- › Ipad for homeschooling 3 minutes ago
- › Taking The Scenic Route to a BFP - Winter/Spring 2013 Edition 4 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 5 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 8 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 14 minutes ago
- › Did anyone not have gestational diabetes during a previous... 20 minutes ago
- › Do Cesareans limit your family size? 50 minutes ago
- › ~+~+~+~+~ May 2013 Chat *~*~*~*~* 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Queer Conceptions: May 2013 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo