my dh and i have been trying to get out of debt for the last couple years. for various reasons we have about 40k in cc debt. we are both now working, dh was out of work, but we don't seem to be getting anywhere. last year i had bought a car from my lease and had trouble finding someone to finance me. i think my fico is about 650. my dh may be a little better. i would love to refinance and get rid of some or all of our debt. then we could begin saving and get our heads above water again. we have 2 kids 5 and 2. have mort 30 yr fixed at 5.25% and owe about 190k and 2nd mort for 20k at about 7%. i have called all cc's and closed some accounts and negotiated low rates. wdyt? will anyone refinance us? is it worth trying? any advice would be very appreciated. i don't want to hear how or why we got into debt. we are in this spot now and i'm not sure where to go from here.
Related Forum Threads
- Holy Guacamole!! The "Where'd March Go?" APRIL No-spend Challenge!! Last post on 4/19/14 at 9:08am in Frugality & Finances
- Just a vent Last post on 4/3/14 at 7:18am in Frugality & Finances
- What do I do with this minivan Last post on 4/1/14 at 8:36am in Frugality & Finances
- You Need a Budget Last post on 4/15/14 at 6:31pm in Frugality & Finances
- Turbotax Bonus Last post on 3/24/14 at 8:32pm in Frugality & Finances
Family Planning: Are the Financially Stable the Only Good Parents?
Last edited: 2/14/14
- Five Free, Festive Ways to Have Fun at ChristmasLast edited: 12/18/13
- 100 Last Minute Stocking Stuffers for Kids
Will anyone refinance our mortgage? wdyt..post #1 of 412/25/11 at 8:16pmThread Starterpost #2 of 412/26/11 at 9:40ampost #3 of 412/27/11 at 3:42am
We did a refi and the house appraisal had to be atleast the amount of the refi loan.Meaning the amount we still owe on the house.Our housewas worth about 10k less than what we bought it for,but we had already paid off 20k. If you don't have atleast that then there is no point. I would spend the closing cost money by throwing it at the second mortgage PRINCIPAL. I would want to pay off that second loan first.Minimun on everything else.
Maybe get some more of the credit card debt slashed.Some hold payments and when the CC company makes a payment offer you use that held payments to pay it off.Most though just spend the cash like my friend who stopped paying her $500 rent,and yet did not save her rent for when she would have to get a new place.
I have heard that even with bankruptcy you now still have to pay some of the debt,and ofcourse your credit is way ruined for 7 years.I would not opt for that unless there was a major illness that resulted in no income.post #4 of 412/27/11 at 4:33am
Ok, refinancing can be an option and I would go with a credit union. They're much better and give better loans. However that being said, call your credit card companies and see what you can work out. Lower interest rates maybe even turning the credit into a loan. I had a BofA card and they actually turned it into a 5 yr loan interest was 2% and no late fees. Actually no fees at all. I haven't gotten my other credit card companies to do this but that one card turned into a loan has helped me so much.
Also you can try to settle your debt, you just have to scream bankruptsy into the phone a few times, that's how I got one interest rate lowered from 21% to 6%.
Good Luck, I know the spot you're in and it sucks!
- Five Free, Festive Ways to Have Fun at Christmas
- › Is anyone else having spotting? 4 minutes ago
- › More Ontario mandatory vaxxes 6 minutes ago
- › Did anyone notice price increase on food?? 11 minutes ago
- › Changing bedtime 14 minutes ago
- › Currently lactating mamas 16 minutes ago
- › Starting to feel better 18 minutes ago
- › Music practice and pet care 25 minutes ago
- › It all just feels surreal... 30 minutes ago
- › Finding the right amount of structure 36 minutes ago
- › April 2014 -- What did you accomplish today? 37 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness