or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › amber teething necklace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

amber teething necklace

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

Hi mamas!

 

I ordered an amber teething necklace from Amber Artisans from my dd. I don't think she's changed much since using it-- some days fussy and some days not, not related to the necklace.

 

Anyway, my dh thinks the necklace is fake because it's so light and looks plastic-y. I have no idea, just curious to know whether others have ordered from Amber Artisans, and how do you know whether or not the necklace is real?

post #2 of 37

First, can I say how lovely to see another baby with SO MUCH HAIR!!!

 

Secondly, I bought Kai the teething necklace about a month ago because he started showing signs of teething, and I was hoping to help with digestive stuff too. I honestly cannot tell if it's working, he's a high needs baby who is generally fussy, slightly more noticibly fussy when I forget to put the necklace back on after his bath, but it hasn't dramatcially changed my sons fussiness. It is possible that I've jumped the gun (he's only 3 1/2 months old) and what I took for signs of teething weren't rwally, but I figure it can't really do any harm, an it is so pretty on...

 

Good Luck :)

Oh and FWIW my DH HATED it and begged me not to put it on him. I ignored him, of course, and now h'es the one running aroun looking for it after bathtime. Basically? If this is our son with LESS fussiness because the necklace IS working, we are not willing to experimen with it!

post #3 of 37

I make amber necklaces so here is a little info to help :)

 

It might be fake, or it might be amber but not Baltic amber there are some ways to tell. Amber is a resin so it is naturally light weight and can feel like plastic BUT it should have small imperfections in each bead. If it has super shiny pieces inside that is a sign it could be fake. If you can spare a bead there are a few tests you can do. If you boil the bead it should shatter and if you pull a string with a knot on it through the bead fast and it splinters in half it is real. Sadly there is no way to tell if it is Baltic amber or just amber, Baltic amber has the healing properties you need. Just a side note, if your necklace is all natural "amber" color and not a honey or butter color it is not as effective. The most effective amber is raw not polished and light in color.

 

I don't really know the brand you mentioned, sorry! Just a little encouragement for amber necklaces, they really help my twin girls. I noticed a change in their boil regularity and teething symptoms. I saw such a nice change that I started to sell them in my shop and I wear them myself to help with PCOS so I am a firm believer!

post #4 of 37

There is not a single study that proves that amber necklaces work. It is not even remotely scientifically plausible. When I was growing up in Russia there was beliefs that amber cure thyroids disorders.  I never seen anyone get better.

 

It is very old myth that amber has curative power.

 

Save your money. BTW-the real Baltic amber does not feel plasticy or light. I know because I have the real stuff.

post #5 of 37
Thread Starter 

Thanks mama! and that is quite some hair on your baby! :)

 

I've been rationalizing that all my dd's fussiness is due to teething since she was 4 months old... she's past 6 months now and not a tooth in sight! 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ChicknLil View Post

First, can I say how lovely to see another baby with SO MUCH HAIR!!!

 

Secondly, I bought Kai the teething necklace about a month ago because he started showing signs of teething, and I was hoping to help with digestive stuff too. I honestly cannot tell if it's working, he's a high needs baby who is generally fussy, slightly more noticibly fussy when I forget to put the necklace back on after his bath, but it hasn't dramatcially changed my sons fussiness. It is possible that I've jumped the gun (he's only 3 1/2 months old) and what I took for signs of teething weren't rwally, but I figure it can't really do any harm, an it is so pretty on...

 

Good Luck :)

Oh and FWIW my DH HATED it and begged me not to put it on him. I ignored him, of course, and now h'es the one running aroun looking for it after bathtime. Basically? If this is our son with LESS fussiness because the necklace IS working, we are not willing to experimen with it!



 

post #6 of 37
Thread Starter 

This is the website of the shop I ordered from.

 

Thanks for sharing! I read that you can test the necklace with salt water-- real if it floats. But then I'm not sure of the ratio of water to salt. 

 

How has it helped with PCOS? (I am curious because I had this).

 

I actually got one for my dh as well because he's been complaining of mild joint paint in the past year. He's not wearing it because he thinks it's plastic. So I'm wearing it now... it's pretty anyway! I hope it helps with neck and shoulder tension from carrying dd. :)
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post

I make amber necklaces so here is a little info to help :)

 

It might be fake, or it might be amber but not Baltic amber there are some ways to tell. Amber is a resin so it is naturally light weight and can feel like plastic BUT it should have small imperfections in each bead. If it has super shiny pieces inside that is a sign it could be fake. If you can spare a bead there are a few tests you can do. If you boil the bead it should shatter and if you pull a string with a knot on it through the bead fast and it splinters in half it is real. Sadly there is no way to tell if it is Baltic amber or just amber, Baltic amber has the healing properties you need. Just a side note, if your necklace is all natural "amber" color and not a honey or butter color it is not as effective. The most effective amber is raw not polished and light in color.

 

I don't really know the brand you mentioned, sorry! Just a little encouragement for amber necklaces, they really help my twin girls. I noticed a change in their boil regularity and teething symptoms. I saw such a nice change that I started to sell them in my shop and I wear them myself to help with PCOS so I am a firm believer!



 

post #7 of 37
Thread Starter 

I guess if it is fake, it just makes a pretty accessory. A plus if it works though!

 

I thought it was light because it's made of amber 'chips'. 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

There is not a single study that proves that amber necklaces work. It is not even remotely scientifically plausible. When I was growing up in Russia there was beliefs that amber cure thyroids disorders.  I never seen anyone get better.

 

It is very old myth that amber has curative power.

 

Save your money. BTW-the real Baltic amber does not feel plasticy or light. I know because I have the real stuff.



 

post #8 of 37

Sorry to hear that yours doesn't seem to be working. :( I have always gotten mine from Inspired by Finn and have always been very happy with them. We can't live without ours!

post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

There is not a single study that proves that amber necklaces work. It is not even remotely scientifically plausible. When I was growing up in Russia there was beliefs that amber cure thyroids disorders.  I never seen anyone get better.

 

It is very old myth that amber has curative power.

 

Save your money. BTW-the real Baltic amber does not feel plasticy or light. I know because I have the real stuff.


nod.gif

I had one for a few months. I didnt see any change when it broke and I didnt repair it. I think they are a hoax.
post #10 of 37
I also make Baltic Amber necklaces. They work, I wear on for joint inflammation.

Baltic Amber is high in a natural anti-oxident called succinic acid. It is found in all our food, in very small quantities and is vital to cell function.

There are studies showing benefits to increased succinic acid, which is why drug companies have started making a version in the lab. The only food really high in succinic acid is rhubarb however it is nothing to Baltic Amber!

If using polished/shape amber then it takes a week of continues wear to get the best result. If the necklace is taken off for a long period of time levels have to rebuild in the system (absorbed through the skin).

Necklaces made from raw Baltic Amber are far better! The outside layer of the stone, the area that had the most contact with the environment that caused it to be so high in succinic acid, has the highest concentration. When amber is polished and shaped the best part of the amber is removed!
post #11 of 37

Would you please post a link to some randomized double blind reproducible studies that show that amber works on such different illnesses?

 

You make those necklace, so I think you might be tad biased in your opinion.

 

 

I would prefer is the study was published in a peer review journal.

post #12 of 37
Not only do I think they're a hoax, they could be downright dangerous. The baby could be strangled if it caught on something while they were wearing it or choke on the beads if the cord broke.
I see there's a warning about them in Australia: http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/amber-teething-necklace.htm
post #13 of 37
Quote:
I've been rationalizing that all my dd's fussiness is due to teething since she was 4 months old... she's past 6 months now and not a tooth in sight!

 

It may very well be, it's just a long process until they break through. We had the exact same sitch...between 3.5 & 4 months DD starting drooling a bunch more than previously and having random (and thankfully somewhat short) fits of fussiness. Everyday I looked for a tooth and nothing.  Finally, on Christmas Eve, I felt it..bottom left; and youch, did I feel it. 5 days later, it's neighbor showed up and DD is 7 months today.

We aren't using an amber necklace (someone told me that it really just stops the drooling, but doesn't ease the pain) or orajel, just a few teething toys. The best is Sophie and the mesh thing that we put an ice cube in for her to suck on and the boob, of course.

Good luck!

 

post #14 of 37

I don't think it is fair to say amber necklaces are a hoax just because there is no scientific research to back it up.  Some things work and some things don't. Doesn't mean its a hoax unless some seller is deliberately selling plastic as baltic amber, but I am assuming that is not the norm.  My MIL thinks yoga is silliness and has no health benefit whatsoever, but she carried around a potato in her purse for days because "the potato absorbs body water, therefore making you lose weight." shrug.gif I feel like our amber necklace works wonders.  We bought ours at Inspired by Finn.  I had bought another one at a small cloth diaper store, and that one didn't seem to have the same quality as Inspired by Finn. Who knows. 

post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Would you please post a link to some randomized double blind reproducible studies that show that amber works on such different illnesses?

 

You make those necklace, so I think you might be tad biased in your opinion.

 

 

I would prefer is the study was published in a peer review journal.



One reaallly big problem with finding this information...it's not out there. Why? Research is really really expensive, and time consuming, and unless there's real money to be made, it generally doesn't get done. Ever notice there are a heck of a lot more studies done about ariticicial baby milk (formula) than breastfeeding? Or how many studies there are involving vaccinated children of varying levels but none that involve UNvaxed kids?

 

Truthfully? Who the heck cares? If it works somehow for some people, then go for it. If they are made correctly you don't run the risk of baby choking because the beads are individually tied on. Also, what exactly are they going to get caught on? I mean, Kai's been wearing his for months and I have yet to see some situation where it's going to get caught on something?

 

post #16 of 37

In short...you dont like or trust em? Don't use em.

post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 

I read somewhere that perhaps more drooling than usual in the earlier months is due to the baby not knowing how to swallow saliva yet?

 

My dd's fussiness just seems random. She does fuss more at night-- recently waking up screaming sometimes, I don't do anything except nurse her back to sleep. 

 

I'm still looking for a tooth daily, lol. Is it only with the first teeth, or does this continue until all the teeth show up?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonersam View Post

 

It may very well be, it's just a long process until they break through. We had the exact same sitch...between 3.5 & 4 months DD starting drooling a bunch more than previously and having random (and thankfully somewhat short) fits of fussiness. Everyday I looked for a tooth and nothing.  Finally, on Christmas Eve, I felt it..bottom left; and youch, did I feel it. 5 days later, it's neighbor showed up and DD is 7 months today.

We aren't using an amber necklace (someone told me that it really just stops the drooling, but doesn't ease the pain) or orajel, just a few teething toys. The best is Sophie and the mesh thing that we put an ice cube in for her to suck on and the boob, of course.

Good luck!

 



 

post #18 of 37
Thread Starter 

I do think they can be dangerous if the necklace gets caught on something. Although like mama2chicknlil above, I have yet to see a situation where it may get caught on something. We take it off at night. My dh worried she might chew on the necklace and break the string, but so far dd hasn't noticed it much at all. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

Not only do I think they're a hoax, they could be downright dangerous. The baby could be strangled if it caught on something while they were wearing it or choke on the beads if the cord broke.
I see there's a warning about them in Australia: http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/amber-teething-necklace.htm


 

post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhie View Post

Hi mamas!

 

I ordered an amber teething necklace from Amber Artisans from my dd. I don't think she's changed much since using it-- some days fussy and some days not, not related to the necklace.

 

Anyway, my dh thinks the necklace is fake because it's so light and looks plastic-y. I have no idea, just curious to know whether others have ordered from Amber Artisans, and how do you know whether or not the necklace is real?



azhie. Hi i don't think they sell fake ones. They located in Lithuania and in this region amber is good quality. There is lots of fake amber coming from China, but i don't think this is the case. You can ask them for certificate - the majority of amber importers have one! Also here are some test to tell if it's true amber : Fake vs True Amber.

From my experience i recommend to buy raw(unpolished) amber necklaces. They don't look so nice as polished, but my mother(from Poland) told me they work better. Couple of my friends, also Polish, bought there necklaces at this Amber Teething Necklace Shop. They were satisfied. Hope this helps.

post #20 of 37

i think its a placebo as well, here is my thinking:

 

i agree that there could be a trace amount of something that is sufficient doses could be helpful. but the beads are relatively small and skin contact is very limited and skin is a pretty good blocker of most things. and if enough oil or whatever was leaching out of these beads to do something then they would probably get depleted in relatively short time as well as show some sort of breakdown or decomposing due to loss of atoms within them.

 

im figuring from the above thinking process that it is similar to if a wore an empty advil bottle around my neck, yeah it may have the trace remains of something that would in fact help my pain, but it is not in a form or an amount that will do me any good any longer.

 

 

they are pretty and parents will do just about anything to help their babies not hurt so much. but they are also a possible hazard.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › amber teething necklace