or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Breastfeeding in Public: Covered or uncovered?

Breastfeeding in Public: Covered or uncovered?

Poll Results: Breastfeeding in Public: Covered or uncovered?

 
  • 24% (6)
    Covered
  • 76% (19)
    Uncovered
  • 0% (0)
    I don't nurse in public
  • 0% (0)
    I go to a fitting room if I'm in a clothing store
25 Total Votes  
post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

Before today, I was very timid to nurse in public, especially uncovered. Now, I could care less and even breastfed uncovered at Levi's pediatrician's office. I celebrate this because I wanted to do this for so so long but I was too afraid of what others thought of my nursing in public.

post #2 of 37

I don't use a cover, but I have gone into a dressing room before.  Mostly when my babies are distractable and won't nurse in a busy area.

post #3 of 37

I don't use a cover.  If I feel like I need more modesty or I am around people I don't want to embarrass (church...my "little" brother, dad and uncles) I'll pull my shirt up instead of down.  I always wear an undershirt so I don't worry about flabby tummy showing.

 

Good for you for nursing how you want.

post #4 of 37

I also wear an undershirt and pull my top shirt up.  Nothing really shows unless the baby unlatches and turns his head.

 

This is the first baby I've worn an undershirt with regularly.  We live in a cold location and I remember cursing the cold wind on my sides with the first two kids.

 

 I did use a cover or go into a private room the first week or so with this guy because he had a hard time latching.  Besides that first week I have only covered a handful of times in my 5 1/2 years of nursing, and that was to try to get the baby to focus on eating instead of pulling off and smiling at everyone who walked past while I tried to cover the spraying milk.

post #5 of 37

I've never been able to work with a cover. I need more access than that. I do wear an undershirt and pull up the top shirt like others have said. That's more for me than anyone else. I just don't want anyone seeing my stretch marks and flabby belly. If I'm in a clothing store, I like to use a fitting room just to keep her focused on what we're doing. She's easily distracted these days. A lot of times I'll nurse in my car when we're out, only because then I don't have to stop in the middle of shopping once we get inside. 

 

I've always nursed around friends and family. I'll choose a seat that's not right in the middle of everything, but stay close enough to be involved in the conversation. No one ever said anything until just recently. I think it was on Christmas, my brother said he was tired of seeing me "whip my boob out all over the place" and that I should put a blanket over it. I just smiled and said "Sure! And the next time you're eating, you be sure to put a blanket over your head too, okay?". That, and the fact that he said around all the females in the family, pretty much shut him up.

post #6 of 37
Thread Starter 

Casey wouldn't let me use a blanket or a cover. I had an uddercover and she'd tug and pull at it, making it too uncomfortable to wear. So, with Levi, I'm just using the tank+t-shirt combo to expose as little as possible.

post #7 of 37

Tank + tshirt combo here, too. Plus I usually have the baby in a wrap, which I use to cover any exposed breast. I've literally had family members t ake pictures of me while nursing my babies, because they had no idea that's what I was doing!

post #8 of 37

I wear a nursing cami and pull my top shirt up.  Neither of my DD's would/will nurse with a cover.  Besides I have enough other stuff to remember/tote around to worry about packing a cover too!  :-)

post #9 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-time-to-live View Post

I wear a nursing cami and pull my top shirt up.  Neither of my DD's would/will nurse with a cover.  Besides I have enough other stuff to remember/tote around to worry about packing a cover too!  :-)


So, I wonder what happens as summer approaches and we don't need blankets to keep baby warm anymore. If I don't bring a blanket and am asked to cover it up, should I just say "sorry. I have nothing to cover up with." mischievous.gif
 

 

post #10 of 37

I have never been asked to cover.  I was once asked to move to the bathroom and I politely declined.  The fellow who asked me to move went to find his supervisor but came back to apologize. 

 

I don't generally travel with a blanket even now.  He goes inside my coat.  I could always cover with a sling if I felt uncomfortable, tho.

 

Just know your rights, you're probably never have a problem.

post #11 of 37

Honestly, I have never been asked to cover up and rarely carry a cover.  At best I might have a burp rag that I could throw over my breast.  I also tend to pull my shirt down, which is the more exposed way to breastfeed.  I really have no idea how I'd respond if someone asked me to cover up, I'll let you know if it happens.  ;)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post


So, I wonder what happens as summer approaches and we don't need blankets to keep baby warm anymore. If I don't bring a blanket and am asked to cover it up, should I just say "sorry. I have nothing to cover up with." mischievous.gif
 

 


In my family people will take pictures of you on purpose when you're breastfeeding..  That's my sister and her 2.5yo ds and myself on Christmas. 

 

IMG_6856.JPG
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh933 View Post

Tank + tshirt combo here, too. Plus I usually have the baby in a wrap, which I use to cover any exposed breast. I've literally had family members t ake pictures of me while nursing my babies, because they had no idea that's what I was doing!


 

 

post #12 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post


In my family people will take pictures of you on purpose when you're breastfeeding..  That's my sister and her 2.5yo ds and myself on Christmas. 

 

IMG_6856.JPG
 


 

 


thumb.gif Awesome!!!
 

 

post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

I also wear an undershirt and pull my top shirt up.  Nothing really shows unless the baby unlatches and turns his head.

 


yeahthat.gif

 

post #14 of 37

what kind of nursing tanks do you all use?  I haven't found one yet that has enough support and doesn't give me uniboob.  I live in Vermont and I am getting sick of exposing my belly to the cold air. 

post #15 of 37
Thread Starter 

I actually don't have a nursing tank top because all the ones I see are too short and end up riding up. angry.gif I have yet to see a nursing tank that's long enough. I have a spandex tank top that I can wear under a t-shirt. Pull the t-shirt up, pull the tank down. Easy.

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

I actually don't have a nursing tank top because all the ones I see are too short and end up riding up. angry.gif I have yet to see a nursing tank that's long enough. I have a spandex tank top that I can wear under a t-shirt. Pull the t-shirt up, pull the tank down. Easy.



 

Yeah, that. I wear a nursing bra under a normal tank or cami. Pull shirt up, pull bra and tank down.

post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post



 

Yeah, that. I wear a nursing bra under a normal tank or cami. Pull shirt up, pull bra and tank down.


Although, I would LOVE a nursing SHIRT that has a border that sits at the bottom of the breast that you can pull up. The ones that I've seen, though are super spendy. I can't spend $35 on a simple shirt.
 

 

post #18 of 37

I just whip them out.  I messed around with a nursing cover with dd, but it was so much trouble and she hated it.  Once I found a community of nursing mothers to hang out with, I felt more comfortable and was able to finally just nurse where ever, however.    The cold does suck, though and I much prefer tops I can pull down.  I have a few wide necked sweaters I can do that with.  Once the weather turns I live in stretchy tank tops... just slip on strap off and nurse, so easy.  I also have some nursing tops: majamas and glamourmoms, which are nice, but yes, pricey.

post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post


Although, I would LOVE a nursing SHIRT that has a border that sits at the bottom of the breast that you can pull up. The ones that I've seen, though are super spendy. I can't spend $35 on a simple shirt.
 

 



Even if I were willing to spend more money on a shirt like that, it wouldn't work for me. Anytime I've tried to wear a shirt that has a "spot" for your boobs to fit it doesn't work. My boobs are always too big. But if I buy a size or two bigger to allow for my boobs, the rest of the shirt is way too big on me. I just can't win there.

post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post



 

Yeah, that. I wear a nursing bra under a normal tank or cami. Pull shirt up, pull bra and tank down.



This is what i do, too! thumb.gif

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Breastfeeding in Public: Covered or uncovered?