I'm looking for opinions on our current situation. We've just received a notice of a confirmed case of pertussis at DS's school (I have an email in to ask what grade it's in, but not sure if they're allowed to tell me that level of detail; it's a small school, less than 100 kids). DS is newly-6 years old, and had the DTap at 4 months old and at 6 months old, and no further vaccines after those two. My DH remembers him as being a "ghost" after those shots, and me being hysterical about it. All I remember is feeling so regretful about having gone against my decision to not vaccinate at all (caved due to pressure from my family..never again.). At any rate, relevant point is that he had 2 DTap shots as an infant (6 yrs ago).
Ordinarily, I would not worry at all about pertussis and feel capable of managing it fine within our family (me, DH, DS, and 2 year old DD), HOWEVER, we have a new baby coming in about 4 weeks or so. So, if DS (or any of us) did contract pertussis, we would definitely be contagious at the time of our baby's birth. So, I'm concerned. Truthfully, I feel like I should have thought of this before given that I know pertussis is everywhere, but somehow it slipped my mind.
At any rate, the options as I see them are: A) keep DS home from school until any chance of outbreak at school is over (how long would this be, a month? 6 weeks?).
B) get DS vaccinated and keep him home for 2 weeks in hopes that the vaccine would take effect in that time (and I know that even if it does, he could still be a carrier, so wash hands and change clothes immediately upon returning home from school).
C) get him vaccinated, send him to school right away, hope that if he gets it we realize it's pertussis before baby is born then administer antibiotics to everyone so that baby is somewhat protected
Am I missing something? Does anyone have any advice they can give me in this situation? I'm not panicking, just trying to make the best decision I can given the situation.