- productAdoptiontagged by System, 12/31/11
Related Forum Threads
- Just want a break.... Last post on 10/24/13 at 7:28am in Adoptive and Foster Parenting
- Has anyone resented being pregnant the entire time and still bonded post-birth? Or not? I... Last post on 8/1/13 at 6:11pm in I'm Pregnant
- Having a biological child after adoption Last post on 6/18/13 at 8:06pm in Adoptive and Foster Parenting
- What do you tell an adopted foster child? Last post on 7/4/13 at 9:55pm in Adoptive and Foster Parenting
- Is it ever a good idea to separate siblings? Last post on 7/17/13 at 2:56pm in Adoptive and Foster Parenting
Kids in the House: the New Video Resource for Families
Last edited: 9/26/13
- Talking About Adoption...HonestlyLast edited: 11/7/12
- Transracial adoptionLast edited: 4/4/13
- Adoption And Foster Parenting ResourcesLast edited: 1/29/12
ADHD, attachment, adoption s/o of honeymoon over - Page 2post #21 of 262/14/12 at 5:36pmThread Starterpost #22 of 262/14/12 at 5:57pm
. Sadly yes- my attatchment disorder very much affects my parenting.... but i do parent my two kids and I do love my kids to death. I do go to therapy sometimes tho not currently working with a therapist.
I find myself zoning out alot- and things like glitter being spilled all over the house simply because I was not paying attention.
I find it hard to be close to my kids- like truly feel anything- so I numb out- that s not to say I don't express love to them cause I do- I sleep with them I breastfed them for years we cuddle and snuggle and hug.... but there is a huge disconnect that is hard to describe.
I will try to think this out more clearly- but thats my initial thoughts.
Oh the ADHD- well that tends to mean my house is very messy and my amom comes once a month to help me stay on top of it. :) bmom comes but does not help to much as she is disabled and just comes one time a year :)
I have a hard time keeping up with appointments- remembering them, scheduling them... etc. I miss things. I forget to check backpacks. Sometimes I forget to fix lunch on the weekends till they ask.
I just find I have to work around it all and do the best I can. I am also a single mom on top of it- so that is hard since I have no one to lean on- all family is at the minimum 6 hours away.
I talked to another adoptee by phone recently and she talked about the same thing- the feelings are too overwhelming.
I also found that once I had my second child- a girl- my adoption issues became more important to me- getting to the root and searching etc. Which has been good for me in long run.
But alas- am I answering your question??? lol. My mind is generally all over the place.
HOWEVER- I did not find out about any of this till I was an adult- so your dd's may be able to learn skills now to help them- I am learning skills now to cope and it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks so to speak- I know what works- picking up a book and zoning out....
Ask away- I really like the dialogue and think its great you ask. I am by no means an expert on anything- I just know what I know from what I lived.post #23 of 262/14/12 at 6:08pm
Just in the past few years have I been able to have close friends and close adult relationships. Usually if I have a friend I think they are mad at me all the time and going to leave me.... now I tell my friends- It is VERY important to me that if I have upset you you tell me right away- you have to agree to this- or I will ask you all the time if you are mad at me. I ask quite a bit less once this "pact" is made. I found something that worked- I also find the older I get people are a little more understanding of issues.
I tend to push people away- I do the testing out stuff- I am sure you have read about.... I am always waiting for people to leave me= so I generally pick people less likely to leave me- I shoot for the dirt so to speak.... not the moon...., am way to giving to the people in my life,
It's like I am so so so so so so so raw that I can't handle being around people sometimes- it's like sandpaper on a sunburn.
This does carry over to my kids- I am way to easy on them cause I don't want them to be mad at me.... always worried people will be mad at me- change their minds etc.
BTW- I was adopted at less then 2 weeks old.post #24 of 262/15/12 at 7:18ampost #25 of 262/15/12 at 5:23pmpost #26 of 262/20/12 at 8:25pm
- Talking About Adoption...Honestly
- › December Spend-Less Challenge: Let's Fill Our Stockings with... 2 minutes ago
- › Belly Bumps- Third Trimester 2 minutes ago
- › December chat thread! 3 minutes ago
- › Highly Sensitive People - Support Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Welcome Babies! 7 minutes ago
- › Scary bleed! 9 minutes ago
- › How cold is too cold? 9 minutes ago
- › Heads up about "Riviera" canned soups from Dollar Tree 10 minutes ago
- › Katie Couric admits disproportionate reporting on HPV vaccine 10 minutes ago
- › Shameless Cute Baby Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Polar Express by Melanie Mayo
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Should You Care About the Photo of Gisele... by Brian Leaf
- › Christmas Through Their Eyes by AmandaK
- › 6 Mistakes People Make When a Friend's... by momofnatasha
- › Hyland's Holiday Challenge Mothering... by JenniO11
- › Lead in Christmas Lights, Toxic Decorations... by Amy Serotkin
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Monica S
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo