or Connect
Mothering › Groups › July 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › January General Chit-Chat

January General Chit-Chat - Page 2

post #21 of 103
Thread Starter 

Threw up blood today. Freaked out pretty bad.

 

Then remembered I woke up in the middle of the night with a bloody nose.

I felt sorta dumb.

post #22 of 103

I have my Nuchal Translucency test this morning. I'm quite nervous since I have been feeling so "normal" lately. I don't know why that freaks me out since it's not abnormal for me. I'm just always anxious for something bad to happen. I know that's not a good thing. I feel like if I expect the worst, I'll be happy if things go ok. But if I expect everything to be great, then I'll be super let down if something goes wrong.

post #23 of 103
Thread Starter 

Good luck, I'm sure it will go great. Check in later and let us know!

post #24 of 103

I am finally starting to get over this stupid headcold I've had since before Christmas - so to all those who also have it, there is an end!!  My pregnancy sickness is tapering off, too, which is nice.

 

lbkw - I know what you mean about expecting the worst.  Sometimes I feel that way, too.  I'm still waiting to tell my work & make this pregnancy 100% public until my next appt - even though I already heard the heartbeat once.  Oh well.

 

I live in the midwest & we have no snow - today's temp is near 50 degrees.  We went to the park today.  I can' t believe this weather.  I just hope it doesn't mean that there will still be snow in March or April!!  I'm not complaining - I much prefer warm weather!

 

I hope all of you with upcoming appointments have good ones.  Mine is in a couple weeks.  I'm taking DS so he can hear the heartbeat, too.  He's 2.5, so not really sure what he'll think!

post #25 of 103

i had my NT scan this morning,too.  I was also really worried and couldn't sleep at all last night.  But I feel much better now!  I mean, there is bloodwork that goes along w that scan, so i haven't gotten any results yet.  But what I saw (a cutie pie!) made me feel much better.  The main thing is that my major concern was trisomy 18.  I had a 1st cousin born with this a few years ago (she lived about 2 months), so I was really nervous about it.  But baby reached out its arm while we were watching and extended all fingers so we could count them.  This told me trisomy 18 is not a concern, as that causes their hands to be fused into a fist where they can't open them.  Plus, we could clearly see the nasal bone and facial profile, which looked exactly like my 2.5 yo!  He was there too.  I told him we would be able to see the baby in my tummy and when we got it on the screen I said "see the baby?"  and he kept saying, "that's Terran?"  HE is Terran; I guess he considers himself THE baby!  So it seemed like he didn't understand at all.  Anyway, like I said I feel lots better after seeing what looked like a normal healthy baby, and also now knowing for certain that it is only one, and not twins.  I bet I get a good night sleep tonight!

 

I hope you are feeling better, MaerynPearl, and that everyone has a nice night!

post #26 of 103

Hello.  I'm new to this whole online forum thing and this is my first pregnancy.  13 weeks 0 days.  Today we had our 1st Trimester screen.  Ultrasound was normal and it was so fun to see the baby moving around.  Technician said it was the size of a small stick of butter.  That was strange.  wink1.gif  Hopefully the blood tests will come back normal.  I'm 35, so apparently I'm high risk due to age.  

 

Other than that, I'm trying to figure out when and where to get a new bra.  Do pregnant gals buy nursing bras now?  Or when?  I'd hate to spend a ton of cash on bras I only wear for a few months, but I know I'm going to grow more (my cups runneth over now) and am hoping they are somewhat flexible in sizing . . . Any ideas?

 

Dawn

post #27 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by emergencegrrl View Post

Hello.  I'm new to this whole online forum thing and this is my first pregnancy.  13 weeks 0 days.  Today we had our 1st Trimester screen.  Ultrasound was normal and it was so fun to see the baby moving around.  Technician said it was the size of a small stick of butter.  That was strange.  wink1.gif  Hopefully the blood tests will come back normal.  I'm 35, so apparently I'm high risk due to age.  

 

Other than that, I'm trying to figure out when and where to get a new bra.  Do pregnant gals buy nursing bras now?  Or when?  I'd hate to spend a ton of cash on bras I only wear for a few months, but I know I'm going to grow more (my cups runneth over now) and am hoping they are somewhat flexible in sizing . . . Any ideas?

 

Dawn


Glad your screening seems to be going well. As for bras, I got nursing bras when pregnant with my first, but mostly couldn't use them for nursing since band size was bigger during pregnancy & cups were bigger for nursing. For second, I thought I'd be smart and buy cheaper regular bras, but totally "paid" for that since they were unsupportive and I had backaches when wearing them. Guess it depends on how big/heavy your breasts are. In my experience, I would buy quality bras and just wash often. ;-)
post #28 of 103

This is my first pregnancy, too, so what do I know, really. haha I went ahead and bought 2 maternity bras. One in a lighter color with convertible straps and one in a darker color. I was about to bust out of my usual bras and I'm so glad I went ahead and got these. I'm SO much more comfortable now. I got ones that had cups that are meant to expand a bit as my breasts get larger as my pregnancy progresses. I've also read that you should make sure to get one that you're using the first clasp or two so you have some room to expand if you need to.

 

I'm all about comfort with my clothing lately. I'm also glad I went ahead and got maternity jeans when I did. I'm feeling fussy about how clothes fit and how many layers I have to fiddle with whenever I need to pee (which, let's face it, is all of the time) so for me, I was totally willing to spend a little bit of money on some new bras now. 

post #29 of 103

Do you recommend any particular brands of maternity bras?  I was already a D cup before the pregnancy, so I'm all about support and think that this will probably be even more important as time passes with the pregnancy.

post #30 of 103

I bought mine from Thyme Maternity and I really like them. I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if you have that store in the US or not. I think Motherhood Maternity has some as well and probably for less expensive. You might check their online stores for cup sizes and such to make sure they have your size. 

 

I did find that I had to buy a size up from what I normally wear when I bought mine. I'm not sure if I've just gained that much weight since the last time I bought bras or if the maternity bras run small from Thyme. I'm usually a 34 and I had to buy a 36. So just keep that in mind when you're trying them on.

post #31 of 103

idk about good maternity bras. i just have a drawer full of different sized bras now after being pg and nursing; most were way too big and I probably really needed a new smallest size one because they were all too big just before I got pg and by now I have moved on up and only the biggest ones are too big yet!  Dh said today that mine are bigger now than they were at birth last time; i think he's right.  I read somewhere that extra estrogen from carrying a girl can affect mama's bbs; if I do have a girl then that makes sense.  From 3 dpo til now nonstop they feel like two giant growing 3d bruises.  

 

BTW, i also read online, idk if it's true, that girl fetuses make more Hcg starting early, so more morning sickness can also indicate girl.

 

i just got upset about something that happened earlier today.  i let my mom come to the scan today.  i needed her to watch ds and when she asked if she could just come along, i said okay.  mostly because it saved me a ton of time and gas for her to do that instead of me taking him to her house before the appt, but also because she really wanted to and has complained before about how she has never been to any scan i have had or been at my baby's births, etc.  Anyway, when it was over and we were walking to the parking lot, she told me I need to get the doctor to tie my tubes while i am in the hospital!  I was so happy to have seen baby that I really didn't think too much about it at the time....i just said something like "Uh no, I'm not doing that!  If we do anything (permanent) dh will get snipped."  But now I am sitting here thinking about it and getting upset that she said that to me!


Edited by ms.shell - 1/5/12 at 9:14pm
post #32 of 103

Got the results back from the first trimester screening. The ultrasound went well and the bloodwork dropped downs risk to 1:2000 and trisomy risk to 1:4000, which feels great since I'm 38. I'm type 2 diabetic and really struggling to keep that maintained so they've switched my meds and it caused some pretty crazy blood sugar swings for me last night. In addition, my blood pressure has started getting out of whack. Ugh. It's all feeling really scary and overwhelming right now, but just trying to stay relaxed and meditating on keeping the baby safe and loved as much as my body can.

 

Also, the weather was beautiful here today, too. Haha :)

post #33 of 103

First off, I'm new here! HI!!!! I guess I'm finally really letting this pregnancy sink in since I found out right before the holidays, got really busy and now can relax and think about it. So glad to join y'all!
I have NO idea whatsoever when I'm due other than generally between end of June-ish to end of July-ish...because I got pregnant this time around while still breastfeeding and didn't have regular periods. Only two very odd ones. That's right, anovulatory/ammenorhea for 20 months! Woohoo! That was nice. While it lasted. Now I NEED to get in to get an U/S soon, as soon as I figure out the insurance end of things :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbkw View Post

I always thought this was just propaganda. I have never felt any different during the 2nd trimester. Other than size, I think I generally feel the same throughout the pregnancy and am definitely not particularly interested (much to DH's chagrin). Ironically, I am most interested right after birth when it is clearly not a good idea.

Nope, not propaganda. Didn't notice it first pregnancy but DEFINITELY increased blood flow during 2nd and 3rd pregnancies partners.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

Threw up blood today. Freaked out pretty bad.

 

Then remembered I woke up in the middle of the night with a bloody nose.

I felt sorta dumb.


LOL. I would totally do that!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumooned View Post

I hope all of you with upcoming appointments have good ones.  Mine is in a couple weeks.  I'm taking DS so he can hear the heartbeat, too.  He's 2.5, so not really sure what he'll think!


My daughter was 2-2.5 during 2nd pregnancy and she totally got what was going on and loved hearing the heartbeat. My son is 2 this next week and I'm not sure it'll be the same for him... hehe I'm not sure he cares much? Maybe toward the end, he'll understand better. I hope. Each kid is different, I guess. Good luck!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

  Anyway, when it was over and we were walking to the parking lot, she told me I need to get the doctor to tie my tubes while i am in the hospital!  I was so happy to have seen baby that I really didn't think too much about it at the time....i just said something like "Uh no, I'm not doing that!  If we do anything (permanent) dh will get snipped."  But now I am sitting here thinking about it and getting upset that she said that to me!

And THIS yeahthat.gif is why I have never invited my mom to appointments. And she was not invited to the labors/births. Not even to the hospital until the cord had been cut. I'd love for her to be there and be supportive... but sometimes the people we love can't keep their mouths shut at the appropriate times :)
In that situation, I'd have said something inappropriate right back :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyredstar View Post
 It's all feeling really scary and overwhelming right now, but just trying to stay relaxed and meditating on keeping the baby safe and loved as much as my body can.

 

Also, the weather was beautiful here today, too. Haha :)


Sounds good!! And the weather helps the relaxation, doesn't it? Lovin' it!

 

post #34 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

idk about good maternity bras. i just have a drawer full of different sized bras now after being pg and nursing; most were way too big and I probably really needed a new smallest size one because they were all too big just before I got pg and by now I have moved on up and only the biggest ones are too big yet!  Dh said today that mine are bigger now than they were at birth last time; i think he's right.  I read somewhere that extra estrogen from carrying a girl can affect mama's bbs; if I do have a girl then that makes sense.  From 3 dpo til now nonstop they feel like two giant growing 3d bruises.  

 

BTW, i also read online, idk if it's true, that girl fetuses make more Hcg starting early, so more morning sickness can also indicate girl.

 

After three previous babies, I'm the same. I have some nearly-brand-new ones I could only wear a couple weeks before I out-grew or out-shrunk, a few well-worn ones that are still in good condition and one that I just plain cant wear again or it will fall apart that I'm keeping for "sentimental" reasons,it was my "old trusty" and I'm keeping it so I remember exactly what it looks like so if I ever find another one like it I can buy it... I have no clue the brand or anything lol
 

my worst morning sickness out of the three I know genders on was my son, by far, i was nearly hospitalized with him (did go in for IV a couple times, was nearly kept there with an IV when it finally let up) This one's worse than either of my girls, they were "bad morning sickness" but this time its Hyperemesis gravidarum again, but could still as easily be girl as boy. 

The only "Old Wives Tale" to do with pregnancy that I know, 100% for certain, has been proven true (in most cases) is that more heartburn means you are probably going to have a baby with more hair. The scientific reasoning behind it is an increase of a certain hormone (I think estrogen, reading that article agrees with me) is responsible for heartburn and for baby's hair growth in utero, the heartburn doesn't cause the hair growth... the heartburn is just a sign of higher amounts of estrogen... the hair growth is due to higher amounts of estrogen. If the heartburn is caused by something else, you could get a bald baby. If you have increased estrogen without the heartburn, you could have a baby with a full head of hair... but most often the two are connected. Funny enough, my husband and his brothers were all born bald... our daughter was born with a full head of dark hair (my estrogen levels there lol, all my kids had full head of hair!) and it all fell out! Then she was bald a few months and is now a little blondie.

"Have a baby, lose a tooth" is sort of true, only in the sense that being pregnant does cause many women's dental health to degrade (for whatever reason). My mom actually lost a tooth per child... I've still got every single tooth that grew into my mouth past age 9, including my wisdom teeth. 

 

"Heartbeat can tell you gender" is quite busted. Many women with boy/girl twins can vouche for this, the baby's heart rate depends on their activity level at the moment, not their gender. All three of my older kids were anywhere between 120bpm and 180bpm given their activity level, what I'd recently consumed and how far along the pregnancy I was. This baby is no different, mostly currently hanging out around 143bpm for resting and 168bpm active (pretty regularly exactly those measurements!) but as baby gets bigger, that will decrease... which is normal. 

 

I'm trying to think of others that I know there have been actual studies on lol... most are so harmless they don't even worry about them.

post #35 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post


The only "Old Wives Tale" to do with pregnancy that I know, 100% for certain, has been proven true (in most cases) is that more heartburn means you are probably going to have a baby with more hair. The scientific reasoning behind it is an increase of a certain hormone (I think estrogen, reading that article agrees with me) is responsible for heartburn and for baby's hair growth in utero, the heartburn doesn't cause the hair growth... the heartburn is just a sign of higher amounts of estrogen... the hair growth is due to higher amounts of estrogen. If the heartburn is caused by something else, you could get a bald baby. If you have increased estrogen without the heartburn, you could have a baby with a full head of hair... but most often the two are connected. Funny enough, my husband and his brothers were all born bald... our daughter was born with a full head of dark hair (my estrogen levels there lol, all my kids had full head of hair!) and it all fell out! Then she was bald a few months and is now a little blondie.

You did qualify that it was true (in most cases) but I had terrible heartburn especially with DS and both of my kids were born bald. I don't know what I'd do if I had a kid born with hair. We don't have kids with hair in my family blowkiss.gif. We had several late ultrasounds to confirm DD's position and the tech kept trying to tell me that baby had lots of hair and I was like there's no way and, in fact, she was only born with a light covering on her head. At 3, she's just starting to catch up with her peers (as was I as a preschooler)!

As for everyone's comments on the 2nd trimester libido...I'll keep waiting for it...but no signs lately. It's so weird that it only kicks in with the after-birth hormones. Very not fair. loveeyes.gif

 

post #36 of 103

I had heartburn both pregnancies, babies had hair but not an incredible amount.  I'm already having heartburn with this one at 13 weeks, ugh...

 

I did the "ring on a string" test and got boy.  It was right the last two times, and it's been right for friends I've done it on (hip to hip swing= boy, head to toe or circular swing= girl), but who knows if that's and old wive's tale or not.  ;)  My mom and sister in-law are dead set on it being a girl- my mom based on the heartrate (160) and my SIL by "intuition."  I honestly have no idea, lol.  And it won't be til summertime til we find out because we're sticking with the "surprise theme" and not having an u/s.  :)

post #37 of 103
Thread Starter 

I ate lunch today. I haven't eaten lunch since before Christmas. I'm so happy!

 

I still feel sick... but I was feeling well enough to eat a small meal at lunch time instead of settling for a cheese stick or something.

post #38 of 103

Have any of you mama's used the Chinese gender predictor chart? It's supposedly 90% accurate. Out of 12 of my friends/family (including my baby) it's been 100% accurate. It's saying another boy, and I'm feeling another boy. Mostly based on heartrate (142), what I'm craving (grapefruits and salty bread) and just the intuition. I've never vomited either... but, maybe it's a girl!

 

Bras: I personally really love Bravado bras. They have a stretchy chestband and the soft cups so you can grow into them. They've fit me when I'm a DD/E and when my supply decreased first trimester a bit and I was probably down to a C/D cup. I have some from Motherhood maternity and they're fine, but not as comfortable or easy. I think trying them on is the best choice (obviously) and getting fitted at a maternity/pregnancy store or Bravado has great Q&A's online and have an easy return policy.

 

We absolutely love the 2nd trimester in this household - we're 2/2 as far as increased blood flow goes! hug.gif I definitely had increased libido after DS was born - we only waited 3 weeks!

 

rivkajean - Hi and welcome to the group!

post #39 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyJo410 View Post

Bras: I personally really love Bravado bras. They have a stretchy chestband and the soft cups so you can grow into them. They've fit me when I'm a DD/E and when my supply decreased first trimester a bit and I was probably down to a C/D cup. I have some from Motherhood maternity and they're fine, but not as comfortable or easy. I think trying them on is the best choice (obviously) and getting fitted at a maternity/pregnancy store or Bravado has great Q&A's online and have an easy return policy.


Yes, definitely try them on. Though, take the fittings with a grain of salt. The woman that did the fitting for me kept trying to put me into bras that were so small I couldn't even get the clasps done. It was the same with her and jeans. She kept insisting that I should buy the smallest size which were so tight I could barely get them over my hips (and this was at 7 weeks!). 

 

I never have liked bras that are too stretchy like how sports bras are, but I know a lot of women that swear by that type, especially for pregnancy.

 

MaerynPearl, I'm so excited for you! It's funny how such little things can be so exciting. I slept for 2 hours straight two nights in a row, which has me wanting to celebrate. I'd been getting up every 45 minutes or so to pee because I was having the issues with my bladder being smooshed by my uterus. It seems like things are growing up and around now. Whew. I'm hoping there are no more ER trips for catheters in my future. I was getting these dark circles under my eyes from not sleeping enough. Getting up just 3-4 times a night seems like a luxury night of sleep!

 

I've never tried any of the gender predictor things that people are doing. I'm curious if I'd get the same result from doing a few of them. I'm torn because I'm curious and I think it's interesting to do those things, but I really don't want to know what the gender is before birth! 

 

post #40 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyJo410 View Post

Have any of you mama's used the Chinese gender predictor chart? It's supposedly 90% accurate. Out of 12 of my friends/family (including my baby) it's been 100% accurate. It's saying another boy, and I'm feeling another boy. Mostly based on heartrate (142), what I'm craving (grapefruits and salty bread) and just the intuition. I've never vomited either... but, maybe it's a girl!


 

Depending on which one I use... they're never right 100%. The "most accurate one" that takes mothers lunar age into conception into account says that the entire year my son could have been conceived in EXCEPT the month I had my miscarriage, would be a girl. He's definitely not a girl.

 

My one daughter is right, Mae is sort of borderline depending on exact day of conception (if I ovulated before/after midnight I suppose) it's a 50/50 shot of boy or girl... this time says girl again.

 

Didn't get my nap yesterday. I was a total wreck by supper time, gave up making supper and just went to bed. Hubby ended up making grilled cheese and soup for the kids.

 

I have a photoshoot at 3 today on the beach, so I have to nap at around noon so I can make it through the rest of the day.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › July 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › January General Chit-Chat