or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › New year, new chat thread

New year, new chat thread

post #1 of 95
Thread Starter 

It's been a little slow around here, what do you think we start going back to monthly chat threads? Here's the last chat thread. 

 

So today is my last day of an AMAZING 2+ weeks vacation from work, and I start going back 5 days/week tomorrow (well, at least it's a 4 day week this week). It was so nice to start getting into a little routine with River every day. 

 

Also, I am getting so f-ing tired of this neverending hunger. I literally have not felt full since before the baby was born. No matter what I eat or drink, I am always hungry! 

post #2 of 95

I've found that brownies smothered in cream are VERY helpful on that front. :D

 

Today was the day I could move into my new office! ... but yeah, we totally stayed home all day. Didn't even shower. Baby's kind of fussy and mommy's really lazy. Stayed up too late last night :P

 

I'm disliking holidays. I want to know if I am getting to move into the house we applied for and I can't because apparently January 2 is a holiday somehow.

 

Sigh.

 

I've never had jobs that paid attention to holidays and if I did, I always worked them so I never understand why things are closed or that they might be closed.

post #3 of 95

LOL_ brownies and ice cream always does the trick here as well ;)

post #4 of 95

Holidays are very disorienting here too. I'm completely loosing track of which day it is. DH doesn't go back until tomorrow (same last week) and while it is great that he gets to spend all this extra time with DS1 it also messes up the routine I normally have when he's at work.

 

On the plus side we have almost finished unpacking. DH decided to sort through the boxes we had left in the garage, so I was forced to put the stuff away before he threw it all in the trash.

 

DS2 is moving from his infant seat to the convertible car seat today. He is getting too big (and heavy) for the infant seat, so we finally got the big one out and fitted him to it before DH goes to install it in the car this afternoon.

post #5 of 95

Monthly might work!  I wouldn't mind.

 

Omg I'd kill for brownies and ice cream. 

 

Strangest thing just happened that's never happened before.  I put Finn down in the cosleeper for his nap.  He was already asleep, of course, nursed down.  About 5 min later, I hear him in there talking, not fussing, just chatting -- oooo-oooo-ooo - and thought, damn.  Oh well, no nap I guess today.  I went to do one other little thing before getting him, and then tip toed past the room and peeked in.  He was back asleep!  How did that happen?!? I just peeked in there now (about 30 min later, I had to get DH's wallet) and he's sucking his thumb, asleep!  So. Effing. Cute.

post #6 of 95

I'm so happy to have access to our little group back!

 

Lynann, I feel the same way as you. I like to have DH around, but it messes with my routine. I feel more productive, say, weekdays when he's working than when he's home on the weekends and holidays. My home is not looking good right now. It's not in terrible shape, but I haven't been great at picking up and it really affects my mood.

 

And now I want brownies and ice cream.

post #7 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I'm so happy to have access to our little group back!

 

Lynann, I feel the same way as you. I like to have DH around, but it messes with my routine. I feel more productive, say, weekdays when he's working than when he's home on the weekends and holidays. My home is not looking good right now. It's not in terrible shape, but I haven't been great at picking up and it really affects my mood.

 

And now I want brownies and ice cream.


I do, too. Sadly, I ate it all. Wah. :(

 

post #8 of 95

I am actually looking forward to getting back to normal next week. DH is on another 3 day work week and it has totally thrown me off. I Skype every Thursday morning with my mum so she can interact with the boys. I nearly forgot this morning as it feels like its only Tuesday with DH only going back to work yesterday.

 

Hopefully I'll also get back on track with my new fitness and organizational goals by next week. Now that I've finally finished unpacking (2 months later) I can start concentrating on re-organizing everything and hopefully get my sewing/crafting supplies organized in the process. I'd really like to have easier access to that stuff so projects don't get started then forgotten about because I put them away while DS1 was about. DS1 will be making the transition to a bed in a few months so that DS2 can have his crib so I'd really like to make him his own special quilt for his bed. Then it will become a family tradition that each child gets one when they make the move out of the crib. I'm also working on a quilt for MIL's 70th in April, so I really need to keep all the fabrics organized and within easy reach for working on during naps and in the evening. But to do that I need to clear some cupboard space first. So reorganizing is my first essential task.

 

Then there are my fitness goals. I'm at the point where I'll only keep loosing weight if I exercise more. I can't eat less as I'm already always hungry. Since this is a short work week for DH I'm giving myself this week to pack away Christmas etc, then on Monday I'm going to start my commitment to at least 30 min of exercise a day Mon-Fri.

 

Anyone else making any changes for the new year?

post #9 of 95

I am working on decluttering our home (read throwing stuff out).  I also want to get my sewing room in order so I can just go work on stuff when the kids are sleeping or DP is home.  Since I will soon be a SAHM full time I am going to work on improving our daily rhythms with an eye to possibly homeschooloing.

 

Yeah Finn!  Good job sleeping for your mama.

post #10 of 95

Happy New Year, everyone!

 

I'm hard at work on my grad school applications.  One of them is due on the 25th and I'm almost done, just getting second opinions on my essays and looking everything over before I submit.  They only take 8 students per year and I REALLY want to get in!  It's fully funded and if I get a teaching assistantship they will pay me for that, so my fingers are crossed!

 

Anton has gotten really squirmy!  Sometimes it's hard to change his diaper because he rolls onto his side and wiggles around.  Is anyone else dealing with this?

 

Also...apparently we're co-sleeping now.  I sleep better if he's not in bed with us, because I have more room to move around.  But he doesn't sleep as soundly as he used to, and if I try to move him into his cradle after nursing he usually wakes up and fusses.  I do like the snuggles but I also liked getting more sleep!

post #11 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

Happy New Year, everyone!

 

I'm hard at work on my grad school applications.  One of them is due on the 25th and I'm almost done, just getting second opinions on my essays and looking everything over before I submit.  They only take 8 students per year and I REALLY want to get in!  It's fully funded and if I get a teaching assistantship they will pay me for that, so my fingers are crossed!

 

Anton has gotten really squirmy!  Sometimes it's hard to change his diaper because he rolls onto his side and wiggles around.  Is anyone else dealing with this?

 

Also...apparently we're co-sleeping now.  I sleep better if he's not in bed with us, because I have more room to move around.  But he doesn't sleep as soundly as he used to, and if I try to move him into his cradle after nursing he usually wakes up and fusses.  I do like the snuggles but I also liked getting more sleep!


this is my dilemma as well- LO is with me most of the night now- but i feel neither one of us is sleeping well at all (although he wakes up all smiles and looks pretty darn rested!!!).  He wakes up when i move or get up to pee and i wake up all night to feed him or see why he's kicking/flailing all over the place- ALL night.  i feel like shit and need some sleep.  i LOVE snuggling with him but it's so hard to be this tired and get through the  days/maintain good relationships etc.  i feel guilty trying to think of a crib- and honestly dont know if i could do it- id probably sleep worse without him there.  UGH

 

post #12 of 95
Thread Starter 

I felt the need to wear my birthing bead necklace today and got lots of compliments on it. It makes me feel special luxlove.gif

 

As I've expressed before, I am not happy about working right now, but I have to say that one of the perks about being a WOHM is I can wear all kinds of jewelry... as long as I take it off before I get home and DS tries to rip it off me!

 

pic.jpg

post #13 of 95
So pretty!! Aw! Yes i miss wearing jewelery, or normal clothes. I even kinda miss my scrubs!

So, Im pretty sure i have acute gastritis. Omfg, it hurts so bad, i can barely move, eat, think!! I thought it might be an ulcer but the more I Google the more i think it's just gastritis. Wah. Hurts.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 95

OWW, Carrie- my stomach has been so messed up since LO arrived- I hope you feel better soon.

 

So, how much coffee are you all drinking and do you worry about impact on baby?  i got major guilt trips on facebook after mentioning i was going for my 4th cup- mine is 1/2 decaf so I guess it's really 2 cups caffeine....

post #15 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

OWW, Carrie- my stomach has been so messed up since LO arrived- I hope you feel better soon.

 

So, how much coffee are you all drinking and do you worry about impact on baby?  i got major guilt trips on facebook after mentioning i was going for my 4th cup- mine is 1/2 decaf so I guess it's really 2 cups caffeine....



I don't even give how much coffee I drink a second thought, and most days I drink a lot of coffee. DS2 sleeps a lot, most of the time, so it doesn't seem to bother him that I have so much caffeine in my system. There are so many things that can make us feel guilty, but I refuse to take on guilt about parenting. I try my best to be a good mom, and that's all I can do. None of us is going to be perfect and get it all right as we are imperfect people. Guilt will always be there if we choose to receive it. I choose to ignore it and just keep on with doing my best. I'd ignore other peoples comments if they make you feel guilt.

post #16 of 95

I love coffee, but right now I'm limiting it to 2 cups per day, and I make it only 25% caffeinated.  That's because I cut caffeine out almost completely during my pregnancy, and reduced my tolerance.  One time I made half caff and actually got jittery...totally weird! 

post #17 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post



I don't even give how much coffee I drink a second thought, and most days I drink a lot of coffee. DS2 sleeps a lot, most of the time, so it doesn't seem to bother him that I have so much caffeine in my system. There are so many things that can make us feel guilty, but I refuse to take on guilt about parenting. I try my best to be a good mom, and that's all I can do. None of us is going to be perfect and get it all right as we are imperfect people. Guilt will always be there if we choose to receive it. I choose to ignore it and just keep on with doing my best. I'd ignore other peoples comments if they make you feel guilt.



I agree- I was kind of peeved by the comments-a guilt trip was not what I needed to hear after my 6th night of no sleep- Im lucky im not taking SPEED to get through some days!!!!!!!  One friend told me i "had to' pump and dump because of the coffee- oh, come on now!

post #18 of 95
Ugh my tummy has been out of whack since I had the baby too! I am so gassy now, I was never gassy before greensad.gif why does that happen?
post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post



I agree- I was kind of peeved by the comments-a guilt trip was not what I needed to hear after my 6th night of no sleep- Im lucky im not taking SPEED to get through some days!!!!!!!  One friend told me i "had to' pump and dump because of the coffee- oh, come on now!



Pumped and dumped for coffee--Really??  That seems strange to me unless the baby has some sort of allergy and mom just wants to indulge periodically, but I suppose I shouldn't judge as I imagine she was just doing what she thought was best for her child.  I drink quite a bit of coffee and it does not seem to affect my DS nor did it seem to affect DD when she was a baby.  I "need" my coffee even more now that I have a baby and a busy 3 year old.  I feel no guilt about the amount of coffee I drink.  It is my one indulgent vice and I looove it heartbeat.gif.  

post #20 of 95
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › New year, new chat thread