So you decided to take the dreaded plung after all, eh? Good for you! And good that your so isn't like that in all areas! Thanks for posting. I have bangs, too. :o)
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryNatural Body Caretagged by System, 1/4/12
Related Forum Threads
- Have you ever sneezed or coughed and farted simultaneously? Last post on 11/25/13 at 1:11pm in I'm Pregnant
- What's hot in menstrual cups these days? Last post on 11/17/13 at 8:12pm in Natural Body Care
- Diva Cup - I must be doing something wrong. Last post on Yesterday at 7:00 am in Natural Body Care
- Essential Oil Brands? I am so confused... Last post on 10/24/13 at 9:12am in Natural Body Care
- Hand sanitizer/wipes for school Last post on 8/21/13 at 7:02am in Natural Body Care
~~ Dready Mamas 2012?~~ - Page 11
When he came home last night, he saw me in front of the full body mirror in the living room doing my dreads. His shoulders fell and he said "You're not doing it, are you?" After that, he didn't have anything to say about it. We talked just like normal and I kept twisting and ripping. :) I've got about 8 sections to go!
Keylimecutie, I might try washing more frequently to keep the hair as oil free as possible. My dreads fall apart around the base of my neck and temples & I'm sure it's because those areas tend to be more oily and/or they get touched more with my oily hands when I'm putting them up or whatever. Odd that it's only happening on one side of your head, though. Do you sleep more that side? Or maybe you sleep more on the other side & it knotted up faster with the friction?
So I had posted before about hubby not liking dreads and he would not like them on me. Update! He says I look good with them! You have no idea how happy that makes me! It's really liberating to do something I want with my body and have it accepted by a loved one!
I am also in love with my dreads! And I know I'll grow to love them more as they lock up!
Thank you! I have a problem though! I have heard that I can't use regular shampoo's and ever since I have dreaded my hair I've been using baking soda and water. My hair is SO OILY! We're broke, so I can't get any sort of 'dread shampoo' until Monday. What do I do? Also, some of my dreads are coming out. I used the twist and rip method. Should I just hand rub the loose strands or use a crochet hook or something? I'm afraid of them coming all the way out.
Such a relief that your hubby likes the new 'do! They DO look lovely. Strong work!
It takes a while for the scalp to adjust when switching to BS washing. Stick with it, though, washing everyday for a while so your hair stays dry & knots up easier. The oil production will balance out in a couple weeks. Definitely don't use regular shampoo! They all have conditioners that loosen dreads....especially babies. You can try aloe gel and/or a salt water spray to keep your hair dry, too.
Palm rolling is always helpful, even with the T&R method, so do it as much as possible. A crochet hook won't really help until they start knotting up tighter, though. I understand it can do more harm than good in the early stages. (Correct me if I'm wrong about this!)
I've had my dreads for 8 months now & after a short stint of hating them & being this/close to chopping them off, I serendipitously ran into a guy who referred me to a salon that maintains dreads for all hair types. Woo hoo! So.....I'm heading to the salon & for some maintenance in a couple weeks. I was told that one good maintenance session will keep them looking good for 6-12 months. I am SO excited!!
How exciting! Yeah, yesterday, I was hating how oily my roots and scalp felt and wanted to take them out. And then I did BS and ACV and it felt fine until a few hours ago. Do I need to do BS everyday until the oil production slows? I was reading some more about dreads and it said when they're new not to have them in a direct shower spray because they can come unraveled. Looks like I'll be having baths for a while.
Also WHAT do I do about a big empty spot in my dreads?! I did them by myself, so I really didn't foresee this being a problem. Do I take a couple dreads out and make them a bit smaller so I have hair to put into a dread in this awkward, empty spot?!
Edited by Becky Wheeler - 9/2/12 at 5:42pm
Went to the beach this weekend and hung out in the saltwater and now my dreads are really starting to shrink up! They haven't really shrunk too much before this. I'm glad that they're tightening up but I'm not really fond of the new length. I had long hair so my dreads were down to my back to start and now they're up to my chin! Oh well, all part of the journey I suppose :)
I am no longer dready, but when DH did mine he needle felted them as well as palm rolling and they got REALLY tight quick. BTW, I have poker straight baby fine blkonde hair. They were hard like pipes by 3 mo. due to the needle felting and they got pretty fat even though they were thin when started.
Hi! I did my dreads at the end of may, and they are crazy, but I love them! I had that same crazy spot in the center if my head, and it scared the crap outta me... My guessed is that when I did them, I pulled the hair on the right side of my head to the right side (to grab and back comb) and did the same on the left side, so it was just pulled apart... Once they settled down the spot was gone...I think. I have pics from when they were done, 1 month, and 2 months. There are like 50 billion, but I will try and post them later when I am not on my phone.
Thank you! lol It's easy to get discouraged when there's a problem like that! haha
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Names yet? 5 minutes ago
- › December chat thread! 5 minutes ago
- › Am I overreacting? 6 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 6 minutes ago
- › What is your word for nursing? 8 minutes ago
- › 10 hours in an airplane - how to stay comfortable and healthy? 10 minutes ago
- › current sns users 17 minutes ago
- › Early stages potty learning + trip = WWYD? 17 minutes ago
- › July's Jubilantly Jovial DDC Roster 17 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by dangill
- › The Night Before Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snow Queen by Melanie Mayo
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snowy Day by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Monica S
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo