I tested positive for GBS, despite doing a hibiclens protocol and taking probiotics before the test. My doctor basically said refusing the antibiotics was not an option. I looked into trying to fight the protocols as well as trying to bring home the baby AMA. While you are within your legal right to do these things, hospitals can and sometimes do involve CPS. I decided that I wasn't going to fight any of it because I didn't want my birth environment to be any more hostile than it had to be. It ended up that I had a super fast labor, and even though the hospital was 5 minutes away and we left as soon as my water broke (which is when I hit active labor), I was pushing by the time they tried to get the IV placed. So, while things overall didn't go great, at least I didn't have antibiotics. Due to the Vitamin K shot we had to get because of some (unnecessary) birth trauma, the blood draw was a little traumatic because my son's blood was clotting so fast it was difficult to get the amount of blood they needed. I think though, that it worked out for the best in that respect. I would prefer the blood draw to the possible effects of antibiotics. So I guess my only advice, which may not be possible with how far your hospital is, would be to get there too late for the antibiotics if you can't refuse them. Also, as far as having a "designated bitch," if a doctor thinks someone is impeding medical care, they can have them removed from the room.
It's odd, but it seems if I refuse the GBS test I can refuse the antibiotics, but if I test positive I can't. That's why I'm leaning towards just not testing, since at least that would help us avoid the antibiotics. But I just feel awful about subjecting my tiny newborn to a huge blood draw if it's not truly needed. Like I've said, if there were actual reasons to suspect the baby was in danger I'd be all for testing/treating. But it just doesn't seem justified to do all this automatically.