I know that I want to delay DD's upcoming 2 month immunizations. I just can't figure out how long, or if there are some that I will just choose not to do altogether. DH supports my decision loosely, but if it were just up to him he would give them all on schedule.
I'm in Canada, and the HepB is not standard at birth, so these are her first scheduled shots. The five in one-- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio, Haemophilus influenzae type b (DTaP-IPV-Hib) and the Pneumococcal Conjugate 13 valent (Pneu-C-13), which my understanding is essentially the Prevnar shot. The scheduled dosing for both is 2, 4, 6, 12, and 18 months. My understanding at least with the Prevnar is that if we wait until 12 months, she only needs two doses, or wait until 2 years and get 1 dose. Those are both appealing to me, but obviously I don't want to be in a situation where we wait so long that we end up giving a shot that no longer has a true purpose (ie the rotavirus shot).
Ideally I'd love to sit down and really figure out frequency rates for all of these diseases with and without vaccinations, presentation of those illnesses (ie is it really worth trying to prevent...) and outcomes, with and without vaccinations. But we haven't had time. Even this post alone I've been wanting to write for several weeks and always get busy doing something else.
Does anybody have quick/easy information about which shots of these they chose to delay and what the reasoning would be-- or prevelence rates would be great.
I feel like I would wait on polio, and tetanus at least until a year. Not sure uet about diphtheria, pertussis and Hib. The pneu-c-13 is a touchy one because DH did contract and get very sick with meningitis in high school. I've given him the decision on that one, but I'd still like to have facts to present to him obviously.