or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › The Postpartum Cervix

The Postpartum Cervix

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hi girls...

 

So Rhyko was born 16 weeks ago tomorrow and I *still* haven't had a postpartum exam. When I was like 2 weeks PP, I tried to get one with the OBs at the hospital I gave birth at, but the really rude receptionist at the OB clinic there said that because I didn't have my prenatal care with the OBs there I couldn't have my post natal care. I was so frustrated about that because I only saw the 'hospitalist' during my stay - whatever doctor happened to be on staff and they don't see women postpartum. Who was I supposed to see, then?? I even tried calling back and the same lady told me the same thing again, but ruder. headscratch.gif

 

ANYWAY! So last week I decided to see what the state of my cervix was. While in the shower I checked it out... and BOY is it different... I charted during our TTC period and so I know what my pre-pregnancy cervix felt like... and my cervix now is WEIRD. It feels like it's got an unhappy face, like the opening is about 3/4 inch wide and shaped like a frown. And it goes from edge to edge, so my cervix kinda feels like it's in two squishy pieces. Hard to explain, I hope you all get where I'm going with this...

 

Is this normal?!?! I'm kinda concerned. I do have an appointment set up with Rhyko's ped (she also does women's health) in two weeks, but I just thought I'd ask here, too.

 

Oh to add... I was induced with Cytotec and I know the point of that drug is to soften the cervix... can it totally screw it up, too?

post #2 of 14

I'm sure everything is fine.  Once you've given birth vaginally, the cervical opening will be shaped more like a slit than like a hole/dimple and may always be a bit open, even during your non-fertile periods.  This is perfectly normal and it may still change over the next several months.  I wouldn't worry and I also wouldn't stress about getting a cervical exam.  You only need one once a year and you probably had one at your first or second prenatal appointment back in the early spring.  I know you're in WA, so you could find a nice midwife to do your well woman check ups- nicer than an OBGYN in my opinion. 

post #3 of 14

I thought that you had a midwife throughout your pregnancy. She should have taken care of your postpartum concerns, if you did have a midwife. Everytime you have a child, your cervix will change. I didn't know what my cervix felt like after my first was born, cuz I didn't know what I was feeling for, or that it might be a good idea to check myself. But I know that my cervix has changed quite a bit from the time I had DD. It feels alot more rough on the tip of it. After Casey, it was smoother.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

Yes, I did have a midwife - and I saw her twice postpartum... but both times ended up just being cry fests for me and he supporting me as best she could. Physical exams were just not happening. And now it's too late, I think.

 

But, as I mentioned I do have an exam set up with Rhyko's pedi who also does women's health.

 

Just wanted to get input on the postpartum cervix! thumb.gif

 

So how long until it goes back to 'normal'?

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Yes, I did have a midwife - and I saw her twice postpartum... but both times ended up just being cry fests for me and he supporting me as best she could. Physical exams were just not happening. And now it's too late, I think.

 

But, as I mentioned I do have an exam set up with Rhyko's pedi who also does women's health.

 

Just wanted to get input on the postpartum cervix! thumb.gif

 

So how long until it goes back to 'normal'?


I'm pretty sure it stays about where it's at right now. It may even stay half a cm open. The position will change though, as your cycles pass.
 

 

post #6 of 14

I agree that it's never going to go back to pre-pregnancy "normal". I was really freaked out the first time I checked mine after I had my first (also induced w/cytotec dilated to 10 but ended in a c-section) and I asked my ob because I thought for sure something was terribly wrong. Now 8w pp w/my second baby (vaginal birth this time) it feels the same as it did after my first, kind of open and like a slit instead of a hole. You will still be able to detect changes in your cervix during your cycle though, it didn't affect my charting at all once I knew that the shape was the new normal.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the reassurance! I had been withholding intimacy from my DH because I was terribly concerned I had a super busted up cervix and that sex was going to harm me in some way... but perhaps not?

 

And, I was expecting my period two weeks ago and it never showed... I had pp bleeding for four weeks, what I thought was a period at 6 weeks pp and again at 10 weeks pp - but I'm now 16 weeks pp and haven't had another... here's to hoping it went away! wink1.gif


Edited by LunaLady - 1/9/12 at 4:10pm
post #8 of 14

Christina- I would still take precautions since pp cycles are very irregular and without tracking your CF and temps well, you won't know if/when you're ovulating.  While it's very likely that your 6 week bleeding was just hormonal, it's possible that your 10 week bleeding was menstrual.

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 

Oh, for sure we will use protection! I'm terrified of getting pregnant again! lol.gif

post #10 of 14

Since you've transitioned to exclusively feeding at the breast, it's entirely possible that your breastfeeding hormones are delaying your period.  Some people find that they have periods when they are working and pumping, but they stop again if they leave work and breastfeed exclusively (though of course you still could ovulate at any time).  Hope you get a nice bit of a rest from bleeding!

post #11 of 14

And on the topic of cervixs, does anyone's feel lower?  After delivery, my mw said it was low from the birth and I would need to tighten up with kegels.  I've been doing that (and tightening stomach muscles) but it still feels a bit lower than before.  We have dtd and it didn't affect that.  I just wonder if it's there to stay or it will rise further.  I want another baby in the future and I really don't want a uterine prolapse  yikes.gif.

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymum View Post

Since you've transitioned to exclusively feeding at the breast, it's entirely possible that your breastfeeding hormones are delaying your period.  Some people find that they have periods when they are working and pumping, but they stop again if they leave work and breastfeed exclusively (though of course you still could ovulate at any time).  Hope you get a nice bit of a rest from bleeding!



I had heard that before, too - I think in Ina May's BF book. I've got my fingers crossed that it's the case for me!! :)

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymum View Post

And on the topic of cervixs, does anyone's feel lower?  After delivery, my mw said it was low from the birth and I would need to tighten up with kegels.  I've been doing that (and tightening stomach muscles) but it still feels a bit lower than before.  We have dtd and it didn't affect that.  I just wonder if it's there to stay or it will rise further.  I want another baby in the future and I really don't want a uterine prolapse  yikes.gif.



My cervix feels like it's pretty much in the same place height wise... but I don't know if my short pregnancy and induction/small baby had anything to do with that? I hope someone comes along to offer you some input! hug2.gif

post #14 of 14

This might also be that you're at least 6 weeks more pp than everyone else.  Things can shift a lot in that amount of time.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post



My cervix feels like it's pretty much in the same place height wise... but I don't know if my short pregnancy and induction/small baby had anything to do with that? I hope someone comes along to offer you some input! hug2.gif



 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2011 Due Date Club
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › The Postpartum Cervix