My only experience with fermentation so far has been with kefir water and beer. I love my fermented beverages so much, I think I'm ready to dive into the world of fermented food! I'd like to start with fermented ginger carrots, but I'm currently dairy free so I'd like to avoid using whey. Does anyone know if it's possible to do it without whey? Any insight would be great. Thanks!
- topicTraditional Foodstagged by System, 1/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- Making Coconut yogurt (can i???) Last post on 3/26/14 at 4:32am in Traditional Foods
- IMPORTANT NOW Illinois raw milk drinkers Last post on 3/25/14 at 7:46pm in Traditional Foods
- GAPS and success with Adult (or child) ADD? Last post on 3/25/14 at 4:49am in Traditional Foods
- Looking for Kefir grains, Eugene/Springfield OR. Last post on 3/21/14 at 11:04pm in Traditional Foods
- Chicken Broth Question Last post on 3/22/14 at 12:13pm in Traditional Foods
Last edited: 9/20/13
- Is Farm to School Enough? My 92 CentsLast edited: 7/16/13
- Temporary Tattoos, Transdermal Toxins?Last edited: 6/7/13
Fermented Veggiespost #1 of 31/14/12 at 12:49pmThread Starterpost #2 of 31/14/12 at 1:26pm
Double the celtic sea salt. I am pretty sure that is what Sally Fallon says to do.
Funny I just whipped up a batch of kimchi. And since my hands are still burning because I am not smart enough to wear gloves I will post the recipe.
I head of napa cabbage in excellent condition- cut it up (I shred mine into about 1/4" strips)
grated ginger- I use about 2"
4 cloves of chopped garlic
2 t crushed red pepper
2 T celtic sea salt
mix an knead in a big bowl until the water starts coming out of the cabbage- might take about 10 minutes. Pack in canning jars and make sure there is liquid over the cabbage. Seal and leave on the counter for a couple of days then refrigerate.
I have made quarts of this before and just put them in my pantry and they do fine.
I also love fermented turnips which are sooo easy.
Peel and cut your turnips into matchsticks and pack tightly in a canning jar. Add 2 T celtic sea salt to it and fill with filtered water. Put on the lid and let it do its thing. Amazing after a couple of weeks.
We aren't huge fans of the gingered carrots here.post #3 of 31/15/12 at 8:34am
- Is Farm to School Enough? My 92 Cents
- › Family dies of Diphtheria! 1 minute ago
- › Wednesday was stressful =( 10 minutes ago
- › Pictures Used to Warn Parents 13 minutes ago
- › 10-15 min. cleaning session in 2014 23 minutes ago
- › I'm not vaccinating forum 23 minutes ago
- › When can I expect my fertility back? 27 minutes ago
- › BUMPS and Belly Shots!! 28 minutes ago
- › Can't stand that all the neighborhood kids want to play at my house! 37 minutes ago
- › Copper IUD and Side effects 38 minutes ago
- › ~*~The TTC ONE Thread~*~April 2014 39 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool