My only experience with fermentation so far has been with kefir water and beer. I love my fermented beverages so much, I think I'm ready to dive into the world of fermented food! I'd like to start with fermented ginger carrots, but I'm currently dairy free so I'd like to avoid using whey. Does anyone know if it's possible to do it without whey? Any insight would be great. Thanks!
- topicTraditional Foodstagged by System, 1/14/12
Related Forum Threads
- Bone broth with pork AND beef bones? Last post on 3/14/14 at 7:05pm in Traditional Foods
- Kombucha/fermented foods and Candida/yeast Last post on 3/13/14 at 3:44pm in Traditional Foods
- ds's BABY teeth are crooked! Help! Last post on 3/14/14 at 2:44pm in Dental
- Traditional Foods and pressure canning stock Last post on 3/9/14 at 4:21pm in Traditional Foods
- Best place to buy GOOD pork? Last post on 3/11/14 at 3:59pm in Traditional Foods
Last edited: 9/20/13
- Is Farm to School Enough? My 92 CentsLast edited: 7/16/13
- Temporary Tattoos, Transdermal Toxins?Last edited: 6/7/13
Fermented Veggiespost #1 of 31/14/12 at 12:49pmThread Starterpost #2 of 31/14/12 at 1:26pm
Double the celtic sea salt. I am pretty sure that is what Sally Fallon says to do.
Funny I just whipped up a batch of kimchi. And since my hands are still burning because I am not smart enough to wear gloves I will post the recipe.
I head of napa cabbage in excellent condition- cut it up (I shred mine into about 1/4" strips)
grated ginger- I use about 2"
4 cloves of chopped garlic
2 t crushed red pepper
2 T celtic sea salt
mix an knead in a big bowl until the water starts coming out of the cabbage- might take about 10 minutes. Pack in canning jars and make sure there is liquid over the cabbage. Seal and leave on the counter for a couple of days then refrigerate.
I have made quarts of this before and just put them in my pantry and they do fine.
I also love fermented turnips which are sooo easy.
Peel and cut your turnips into matchsticks and pack tightly in a canning jar. Add 2 T celtic sea salt to it and fill with filtered water. Put on the lid and let it do its thing. Amazing after a couple of weeks.
We aren't huge fans of the gingered carrots here.post #3 of 31/15/12 at 8:34am
- Is Farm to School Enough? My 92 Cents
- › What does everyone do for income? 9 minutes ago
- › October 2014 Roll Call 11 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 11 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 14 (starts March 3,... 13 minutes ago
- › Grief during pregnancy 22 minutes ago
- › Natural Sinus Relief? 24 minutes ago
- › upsetting appointment 24 minutes ago
- › the FB group is here 25 minutes ago
- › 12 year old boy is weepy. Causes? 31 minutes ago
- › When can I expect much more regular and consistent/frequent... 31 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild