We have been exposed to the flu. We dont get flu shots. Dh and I are the only ones right now who feel off - very upset stomach, headache but nothign else right now. we have a 7, 5 1/2, and almost 1 year old baby. I know the baby would need 2 shots. Did we wait too long? Should we get them shots now or take the risk? If dh and I go in do they have a test to see if you have the flu? worried most about the baby. Thoughts?
- brandParentingtagged by System, 1/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- What is the wackiest rule in your house? Last post on 11/6/13 at 4:55am in Parenting
- Bad Mama Day Confessions: spill your guts! Last post on 10/31/13 at 1:39pm in Parenting
- Do your kids ever eat Happy Meals? Last post on 11/11/13 at 1:02pm in Parenting
- How much supervision is enough? Last post on 11/15/13 at 7:10am in Parenting
- Do you drink when your kids are awake? Last post on 11/18/13 at 12:04pm in Parenting
There Is Not Always a "Fix" For the Difficult Child
Last edited: 7/24/13
- Five Tips for Helping Tweens (Re)Discover Pleasure ReadingLast edited: 4/18/13
- Tell Another Mom (Dot) ComLast edited: 4/15/13
- The Benefits of Ignoring Children (Sometimes)Last edited: 4/2/13
- Being Wrong is RightLast edited: 3/20/13
flu questionpost #1 of 101/20/12 at 7:06amThread Starterpost #2 of 101/20/12 at 7:19am
I don't think getting the flu shot now will help. We mostly fully vax but we never get the flu shot. We are a generally healthy bunch and I just don't feels it's necessary. The flu stinks but I guess I don't feel like the flu shot makes absolutely sure we don't get the flu so why bother?post #3 of 101/20/12 at 7:47am
Elderberry and vit D are your friends. I'd get everyone on those supplements as of today. Elderberry especially is very effective against influenza. In fact there was a study done showing it more effective than Tamiflu!
A little recent anecdotal evidence... A couple of months ago dh was down with the flu for close to 2 wks. The kids and I took elderberry 3x a day and a safe but hefty daily dose of vit D and, despite being in close contact with dh the whole time, none of us got it.post #4 of 101/20/12 at 8:04amThread Starterpost #5 of 101/20/12 at 12:48pmpost #6 of 101/20/12 at 5:34pm
what is the health of your immediate family like? are they mostly healthy (but got worse as they became adults). how is your own baby? healthy till now?
if so i probably would not worry about your baby too much. definitely keep an eye, but dont worry too much.
my dd got the stomach bug when she was around 12 months old. i did not worry too much. all of 3 generations of dd's paternal and maternal families had great health since children. adults different story. her dad and i are very healthy too and rarely fall ill. at 12 months the only other thing dd had was croup. so i felt ok when she got the stomach bug. she nursed like a champ so i wasnt scared of dehydration which is our greatest fear (btw everytime dd got her vaxes she'd get 104 temperature - which is normal in my side of the family. with her first shots her fever went upto 104.5 and i gave her tylenol which brought it down gradually, so i wasnt scared of high fever either. the next two rounds and same high fever. so i stopped vaxing).
that does not mean that high fever and stomach bug is not worrisome. what i am saying is if you look at you and your dh and your family history it might clue you in as to what to expect.
i mean esp. if you have had the flu before.
dd and i again had the flu together when she was 3. again she drank oodles of liquids and watered down juices and we braved the 5 days in bed with no medicine and survived.post #7 of 101/20/12 at 6:07pm
The flu shot is not intended to stop the stomach flu. It's intended to stop influenza, which is primarily an upper respiratory illness. So if your major symptoms are upset stomach + headache, you probably don't have influenza (stomach upset is pretty for influenza, especially for adults), you probably have a stomach bug. Most stomach bugs are viral and pass in their own time.
Keep an eye on your 1 year old, if they get it, to make sure they stay hydrated. Other than that, you'll have to ride it out.post #8 of 101/21/12 at 12:08pm
Sometimes babies get the flu. It's extremely sad...but it's not as sad as reading the side of the flu vaccine box. There is nothing anyone could say, that would make me put that stuff in my baby. No way. Not for most anything, but especially not for the flu.
Mama I'm glad you use elderberry, vit d, etc etc....hydration, rest, snuggling and time are the only things you can do in a situation like this. I'm so sorry you guys are ill, that stinks...hoping you feel better SO soon.post #9 of 101/21/12 at 12:23pm
Check out this Zand page and click on influenza to get allopathic and alternative treatment options. I have her Healthier Child book,and it was useful when my kids were little.
Up the doses for you and dh. Speedy healing. It is never to late to get the flu vaccine,but I would never do it while already ill.You are in a weakened state and that could increase the risk of vaccine complications,but ofcourse you do what you feel is best.post #10 of 101/22/12 at 12:02pm
- Five Tips for Helping Tweens (Re)Discover Pleasure Reading
- › Peeing at the pool or beach 2 minutes ago
- › Queer Conceptions March 4 minutes ago
- › Dinner - What Are You Having? 5 minutes ago
- › insurance reimbursement tooo much?! 5 minutes ago
- › Looking for support and advice for dealing with a "spirited" baby 9 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Photo Contest Sponsored by Sacred Pregnancy, Nordic... 22 minutes ago
- › A pediatrician's different perspective on why he doesn't accept... 25 minutes ago
- › diaper free time.... mud on penis 32 minutes ago
- › another star publicly refuses to vaccinate and they skewer her in... 34 minutes ago
- › Petechiae. Freaking ot a little bit. 35 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild