or Connect
Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Teething

Teething - Page 3

post #41 of 157


That was smart to keep it a shorter length.  Given my experience, I am now surprised people would let their babies chew on the beads:  When my first was teething, I gave her a teething necklace, and she broke one of the beads while chewing on it.  It shattered like a shard of glass.  I still shudder when I think about it, and I felt so bad.  The necklace was short, too, but she would manage to tuck her chin in and get the necklace in her mouth.  As much as I love the idea about the necklaces, I'm not doing another one with this baby.  Sigh.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

We made ours, the local bead store sells them but the lady there said that most people who buy them there make them long enough for the baby to chew on. I said I would not. There's another one put away for the May baby. I really just like necklaces on babies and I figure if amber has a benefit, all the better.


 

post #42 of 157

His is only 13 inches, I cant pull it up to his mouth.  It has breakaway clasps so if he pulled hard enough it will come off and go in his mouth.  He's never unsupervised yet, so I don't worry much.

post #43 of 157

Enoch's baltic amber comes tomorrow! yay! I can feel lumps underneath the two bottom gum areas and I bet he'll have them, like his two older siblings, at four months.

post #44 of 157

Sora is fussing almost all the time now. It's like we've reverted back to the newborn period. Arghh. I can't even take her on walks outside anymore, she's just angry! She must be getting teeth soon... She's chewing on everything she can and will cry until I keep holding something in her mouth. That task, coupled with having to be by her side every time she plays on the floor now because she can only roll one way and gets stuck, is making it pretty impossible for me to get anything done now. Oye. Free hands are a thing of the past. irked.gif

 

I wrapped crushed ice in a washcloth and let her suck on it. She seemed to like that. Maybe I'll look into getting some teething rings. I'm eager to start feeding her solid foods in the next few months. I bet she'll LOVE it.

post #45 of 157
Shay chews on everything, he just busted his necklace. I think teeth are still a way off, tho.

Shay has chewed on food a few times, but he can't swallow it yet. His tongue pushes it out.
post #46 of 157

Jasper's doctor told me yesterday that he's probably not teething yet because getting front teeth doesn't bother babies. Only the molars do. Whateve. eyesroll.gif

post #47 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

 

 

I wrapped crushed ice in a washcloth and let her suck on it. She seemed to like that. Maybe I'll look into getting some teething rings. I'm eager to start feeding her solid foods in the next few months. I bet she'll LOVE it.


For both my girls, I've purchased one of those mesh feeders. I put ice or frozen breastmilk in it for her to chew on. Really seems to help with teething pain and Greta can hold onto the handle pretty well.

 

Greta has been extra fussy the last couple of days. Her bottom two front teeth are so close. But her bottom canines are hugely swollen right now too. Weird. Those shouldn't be coming in for a while... Her amber necklace just came in the mail. It's supposed to be an Easter basket gift for her. She's been borrowing DD1's amber necklace, but she still likes to wear hers every now and then and isn't too fond of sharing it with her sister...

 

post #48 of 157
Hmm, my older kids are both getting front teeth now and say it doesn't hurt.
post #49 of 157

I noticed today that Luca busted through a second tooth, another canine.  They seem to be coming forward through the gum, rather than through the top, but looking at my own canines, they seem similar.  His gum is all bumpy, so who knows how many more are coming?  I'll keep the mesh feeder in mind.  He's got pretty good hand to mouth coordination going on, lol.

 

carey

post #50 of 157

I think that when babies get teeth it's different from when older kids get their second set.  Obviously nobody remembers what it is like to get teeth as a baby so it's all speculation, but I think it must hurt for the teeth to cut through the gums the first time, especially since the area gets so inflamed and swollen.  For the second set, it makes sense to me that it wouldn't be painful because the gums have already been cut through.  

post #51 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

Hmm, my older kids are both getting front teeth now and say it doesn't hurt.

Yeah, I've got quite a few missing teeth between dd1 and dd2. Neither have ever complained about the new teeth coming in. I think, like J said, it's different. They already have those big, yucky holes in their mouths that they love to show me. Ick! I hate wiggly teeth and everything associated with them. Especially since the teeth always fall out when the tooth fairy doesn't have any cash.
post #52 of 157

I feel Enoch's right bottom tooth right below the surface now. He'll be 4 months on the 29th.

post #53 of 157
Haha, my oldest had no front teeth for almost 6 years. The gums bulged out before the tooth cut through, not nearly the same as when the permanent tooth comes right behind the baby tooth. I forgot to mention that part. DD has been having no pain with her 6 year molars, either.

I'm not saying teething doesn't hurt babies, but the kids said it doesn't bother them.
post #54 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

Jasper's doctor told me yesterday that he's probably not teething yet because getting front teeth doesn't bother babies. Only the molars do. Whateve. eyesroll.gif


Whaaa?

 

Dd was insanely bothered by all her teeth until her 2 year molars.  Those didn't seem to bother at all.  Ds1 was better, but still bothered and his 2 year molars disrupted his sleep, too.  I've heard from many people, though, that the 6 year molars are no biggie.

 

post #55 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post


Whaaa?

 

Dd was insanely bothered by all her teeth until her 2 year molars.  Those didn't seem to bother at all.  Ds1 was better, but still bothered and his 2 year molars disrupted his sleep, too.  I've heard from many people, though, that the 6 year molars are no biggie.

 



Um... does it make me a bad mom that I don't even know when my girls got their 6 year molars? bag.gif Clearly, it did not bother them. I helped dd2 floss tonight; there were a lot of teeth in there. But yeah, I haven't paid much attention to teeth coming in for a while now. I am, however, forced to see a lot of bloody teeth coming out. Blech,

post #56 of 157

I'm with you.. My DS got all of his teeth early and started to lose them early as well.  He probably got his 6y molars at 4-5y?  I don't have any idea really..

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post



Um... does it make me a bad mom that I don't even know when my girls got their 6 year molars? bag.gif Clearly, it did not bother them. I helped dd2 floss tonight; there were a lot of teeth in there. But yeah, I haven't paid much attention to teeth coming in for a while now. I am, however, forced to see a lot of bloody teeth coming out. Blech,



 

post #57 of 157
I still check my kids' tooth brushing from time to time and I check them for cavities probably monthly because they have horrible teeth. So I see when new teeth come in.

Does anyone brush their baby's teeth/gums already? I haven't started yet but I know I should. So when the dentist gives me he'll I can say, dude, I've been brushing his teeth since...
post #58 of 157

My ds had all his teeth, including the 2yo molars, by the time he was 13mo..  After that I stopped looking I suppose.  He does go to the dentist at least once a year and they always comment that he's ahead in his teeth development.  I've found that it's NOT a good thing for kids to lose their teeth early though.  His adult teeth were so crooked when they started to come in.  They're straightening up now that he's growing, but I was worried there for a while.

post #59 of 157
They can straighten up as they grow in? Both my bigs lost their bottom teeth on a normal schedule but DDs are growing in crazy. Her mouth is way small and one of the bottom teeth is rotated 45 degrees and the other one came in straight but pushed the one next to it out and is now in the position of 2 teeth (like from midline to the eye tooth).

Shay is still gummy but we can see two white bumps in top now.
post #60 of 157

Yup, at least in Cyans' case.  They were very crooked and now they're only a tiny bit off.  The dentist said to wait until he's closer to 10, but that there will probably be enough room in his mouth eventually.  We'll see after he loses a few more teeth though..

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

They can straighten up as they grow in? Both my bigs lost their bottom teeth on a normal schedule but DDs are growing in crazy. Her mouth is way small and one of the bottom teeth is rotated 45 degrees and the other one came in straight but pushed the one next to it out and is now in the position of 2 teeth (like from midline to the eye tooth).
Shay is still gummy but we can see two white bumps in top now.


 

Mothering › Groups › November 2011 Due Date Club › Discussions › Teething