or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › 6 months!

6 months!

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 

Yeah, we're not there yet but some of you are!

Can we do the measurement thing again? I really enjoyed it :) And maybe list some of the awesome things they're doing!

post #2 of 42

Eliana is 6 months today! Yay! I took her to a ped a week ago and the only thing she measured was her weight.

 

Birth weight: 5 lb 12 oz

@ 6 months: 15 lb/6.8 kg

 

length at birth : 19 inch

length at 6 mo: 26 inch

 

She is sitting up without assistance, though sometimes she can stay that way bit longer and other times topples pretty fast. She is talking  a lot... well by that I mean she is making lots of noises and actually those sound like actual word in Bengali...hahahaha like dada (means grand father-paternal) nana (means grand father-maternal) abba (means father in my native language) amma (means mother in my native language)...we are all like wow she is talking! LOL and I do know these are the basic sounds that come out of babies everywhere,, these words just happen to mean something for us.

 

As for food, still fully exclusively breastfed. Just the other day gave her a bit of papaya (fresh from my aunt's garden) on my finger tips, poor thing didn't like it at all. She is not showing any interest in our food though. None at all.

 

She doesn't have any teeth yet, but going through the teething process now!

 

 

post #3 of 42

No idea on measurements. No appointment scheduled, I doubt I'll go in at 6 months, I go in more of when I feel like it. He turned 6 months yesterday the 27th. 

 

Dominic doesn't sit up, he does't like to. He mostly prefers still to be held. He will roll all over the floor when he allows me to put him down for a couple minutes. He goes nuts for our food though. I give him some things to gnaw on or lick. I don't do pureed foods and he doesn't have any teeth nor the pincer grasp to be able to pick up chunks of food and actually eat them. He likes gnawing on carrots, that is probably his favorite. He is getting better about the car but hates the dark. Even if I turn on the lights above him in the 2nd row, he just screams when I have to drive and it isn't full on day outside. I am really hoping that gets better because in 6 weeks I have 8 hour drive to do alone with DD1 and him and I was hoping to do a portion of it at night each way since he only lasts 10-15 minutes in the car without starting to scream. I'm thinking it will break up the trip, but I can't do it really late at night because DD1 won't sleep in the car and she can't be exhausted for competition. 

post #4 of 42

DS will be 6 months in about 1 week.  He can sit for a short period of time, but is not really interested in it.  Mostly he likes to be on his belly and is working really hard to get his knees under him in order to crawl.  He sooooo wants to crawl.  He is getting good at grabbing things and putting things in his mouth.  No real interest in foods yet, but I imagine he will be soon.  Don't have measurements yet and won't till the end of Feb, so he will be closer to 7 months.  Recently, he has discovered a love for books and loooooves to look at them.  Sometimes DD will look at them next to him on the floor, very cute.  I want to get a pic, but DD is going through a phase where she does not want her picture taken so anytime she sees me with a camera she hide or makes hideous faces.

post #5 of 42
Holy cow, 6 months! DD is approaching 6 1/2 months. It's strange to imagine that she's closer to a year old than to her birth. Wow! I find myself picturing her crawling, walking, and soon into EVERYTHING and I'm nervous but excited. We should start a babyproofing thread, because I don't know WHAT to do. Anyway...she had her appointment.

Birth: 5lbs. 9oz
6 months-ish: 14lbs even

Birth: 19in.
6 months-ish: 25in.

I always forget her head circumference, but she's in like the 70th percentile. She's really smart apparently: lots of brains. smile.gif

She's still wearing some 3-6 month clothes, and even a couple large 3 month jammies. We're really getting our money's worth out of those outfits. lol...She's been growing consistently on her curve, though, so we're not worried.

She figured out rolling over from back to front the day before she turned 6 months, and now she does it back and forth all the time like it's nothing. She doesn't sit all by herself, but she does a nice job of sitting up if we keep her from toppling. She CAN stay that way for a bit, but she prefers to lean.

We have started solids, because we have felt like my supply isn't satisfying her for a long time, despite efforts to eat oatmeal, drink nursing tea, and pump, etc. She's growing ok, but she often still seems hungry. I've compared my pumping output to other back-to-work moms, and it seems adequate. But I'll nurse her, and then she'll wolf down some oatmeal and avocado like crazy. She loves it: she opens wide, then grabs the spoon and pushes it into her mouth. Today she started crying when I tried to offer her a sip of water instead of giving her more avocado. I gave her avocado and she leaned forward and was happy again. Anyway, I find myself rambling because I feel like I'm trying to justify feeding her solids. It was a hard thing for me to accept, I guess, and we've been super vigilant of my supply to make sure it doesn't diminish. So far so good. She still wants to nurse all night long. Part of me feels guilty for not starting sooner, since she seems like she's just been HUNGRY.

We're thinking about maybe getting a jollyjumper or whatever they're called, because she no longer seems very content to lie on her blanket on the floor. She gets on her belly, then she wants to SEE what's going on in the room, and she can't quite. Yesterday, she was nursing and she kept going "mmmmm" and then popping off and grinning at me, over and over. It was SO cute. This journey is so fun, despite the sleepless haze. I just love her!
post #6 of 42

We are 6 months today but no appointment till the 7th so I'll update then.  Not looking forward to explaining why we haven't given him cereal yet.

post #7 of 42

It's odd how giving cereal seems to be looked at as a developmental milestone, rather than just a personal feeding choice.

post #8 of 42

I wanted to add: River's 6 month appointment is in a few weeks and we got a checklist we have to fill out before the appointment. Everything is Yes/No and the way that they word it, I assume that No is always the "bad parent" answer. Questions like: do you always buckle your child properly in their car seat, does your child baby talk/coo, do you read to your child every day, do you always supervise your child near water..etc. All my answers were on the Yes side, except the feeding question: Do you feed your child baby cereal? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I wonder how that conversation is going to go with my old-school ped.

post #9 of 42
Cat, that's ridiculous! If they don't mean it that way, it sure seems like it. Would you be comfortable pointing that out at your appt? Yuck!
post #10 of 42

Ugh about the cereal!  Just say you're following the AAP guidelines to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months.  Done!  No need to defend any choice, or start any arguments.  

 

Cat that questionaire is redic!  OMG.  Don't worry about looking/being good vs bad.  I bet it's just a way to make sure the conversation stays on topic.  They'll want to know what he's eating, if he's eating, how much, how frequent he's nursing, how much he takes in a bottle.  Idk why but they do.  They always ask me how much milk Finn drinks and I have to laugh and say idk, but he nurses for about 10 min at a time.  LOL.  They just want to quantify things.  If baby is on a good curve, there won't be any problems.

 

We'll go soon!  Oohh, I love these threads.  I love that it feels like yesterday they were all in our bellies and now they're half a year old!!  

post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Ugh about the cereal!  Just say you're following the AAP guidelines to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months.  Done!  No need to defend any choice, or start any arguments.  

 

Cat that questionaire is redic!  OMG.  Don't worry about looking/being good vs bad.  I bet it's just a way to make sure the conversation stays on topic.  They'll want to know what he's eating, if he's eating, how much, how frequent he's nursing, how much he takes in a bottle.  Idk why but they do.  They always ask me how much milk Finn drinks and I have to laugh and say idk, but he nurses for about 10 min at a time.  LOL.  They just want to quantify things.  If baby is on a good curve, there won't be any problems.

 

We'll go soon!  Oohh, I love these threads.  I love that it feels like yesterday they were all in our bellies and now they're half a year old!!  


Ditto!

 

post #12 of 42

Well we went yesterday to our 6mo WBV.  Rafe is doing well and growing steady

 

Birth 7lb 5oz, 19 1/2"

 

6mo 15lb 7oz, 26".  He didn't take a head measurement.


We are delaying vaxing indefinitely and he tried to scare me with some information about a baby dieing from meningitis in our city because it was unvaccinated.  I'm sorry but kids/babies get meningitis even when they are vaccinated. 

 

He didn't even question why we hadn't started rice cereal yet so that was good but he did bring it up again as a "starter" food.  

 

post #13 of 42

We had a really crappy pedi that kicked us out of the practice for wanting to delay and space out vaccinations (no more than 2 at a time) and I am SO thankful that we have an awesome one now.  I tell him which ones to give her and he says "no problem".  Didn't even mention solids, and was bragging about his daughter in law who is exclusively breastfeeding her baby and that baby "will never even taste a drop of formula".  I of course feel guilty because we're doing formula and breast, but in theory I love his feelings on this and lack of pushiness!

She had her 6 month appt last night, I'm just so relieved to not get pressure about the vaccines.

 

Birth weight: 7 lbs 13oz

birth height: 20 3/4 in

 

6 mos weight:  18 lbs 3 oz

6 mos height: 27 1/4 in.

 

She's a big girl.  We're in 9 month outfits and I just started buying 12 mos because I'm sick of spending money on clothes that she grows out of too fast!  She's got her 2 bottom teeth and I think she's working on her 2 top.  She's rolls both ways and sits up on her own.  She gets some solids once a day if I remember and we're doing breast and formula.  I've cut out nursing her during the day starting this week and I just do her before bed nursing, during the night, and the first morning.  I'm just sick of pumping when I have work and if I want to get away from her for a little while.  This is working out much better for us.  She is still NOT sleeping through the night!

post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

Well we went yesterday to our 6mo WBV.  Rafe is doing well and growing steady

 

Birth 7lb 5oz, 19 1/2"

 

6mo 15lb 7oz, 26".  He didn't take a head measurement.


We are delaying vaxing indefinitely and he tried to scare me with some information about a baby dieing from meningitis in our city because it was unvaccinated.  I'm sorry but kids/babies get meningitis even when they are vaccinated. 

 

He didn't even question why we hadn't started rice cereal yet so that was good but he did bring it up again as a "starter" food.  

 


Yeah Rafe, what a big boy!  Yup, we get the scare stories too, even though we do selective vax. In one ear, out the other, right? 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by yell View Post

We had a really crappy pedi that kicked us out of the practice for wanting to delay and space out vaccinations (no more than 2 at a time) and I am SO thankful that we have an awesome one now.  I tell him which ones to give her and he says "no problem".  Didn't even mention solids, and was bragging about his daughter in law who is exclusively breastfeeding her baby and that baby "will never even taste a drop of formula".  I of course feel guilty because we're doing formula and breast, but in theory I love his feelings on this and lack of pushiness!

She had her 6 month appt last night, I'm just so relieved to not get pressure about the vaccines.

 

Birth weight: 7 lbs 13oz

birth height: 20 3/4 in

 

6 mos weight:  18 lbs 3 oz

6 mos height: 27 1/4 in.

 

She's a big girl.  We're in 9 month outfits and I just started buying 12 mos because I'm sick of spending money on clothes that she grows out of too fast!  She's got her 2 bottom teeth and I think she's working on her 2 top.  She's rolls both ways and sits up on her own.  She gets some solids once a day if I remember and we're doing breast and formula.  I've cut out nursing her during the day starting this week and I just do her before bed nursing, during the night, and the first morning.  I'm just sick of pumping when I have work and if I want to get away from her for a little while.  This is working out much better for us.  She is still NOT sleeping through the night!


I hear you on the clothes thing. I keep meaning to buy onesie extenders to make his clothes last longer. And you should definitely not let yourself feel guilty, you're doing great for Ada! 

 

post #15 of 42

Livvy had her 6m appt today.  She was only 25.5" and 14lb2oz.  She's tiny!  That's only 18th % for weight, such a difference from what I remember of her brothers at this age.

 

Developmentally she's sitting on her own and only topples over after a few minutes.  She's saying dada and babbling a few other sounds.  She can roll both ways, but doesn't do either very frequently because someone is almost always holding her.  Hitting all the milestones, I guess.  The newest thing is waving and it is so cute and unexpected.  Her bothers wave to her all the time and a couple of days ago she started waving back!  I'm trying to catch it on video.  We'll probably start solids one day this week.  I'm thinking sweet potatoes or squash.  It all sounds so unexciting when I type it out, but you guys can appreciate how exciting some of this stuff is!  

 

Oh!  We see a family doctor.  He's a young guy, just joined the practice a couple of years ago.  At Olivia's first appointment he was startled and curious about us not vaccinating.  He said he had never heard of that before.  Then he asked how much formula she was taking and I surprised him again by telling him she is 100% breastfed.  He was impressed, which confused me so I asked if that was really so unusual.  He said that they have very few patients that breastfeed and told me how wonderful I was for doing it.  We chatted about other parenting things and went on our way.  He thought I was cool for homeschooling, and impressed with the boys' manners.  At her second appointment he was so laid back, telling me that I knew what I was doing and basically making me feel like supermom!  lol. Today he told me that the only other woman he has known whose baby has never had a bottle was his sister and that he thinks we're both doing great things for our babies.  I don't know exactly what is is about the conversations, but I have this feeling that I'm influencing his future parenting philosophy assuming he has children one day.  

 

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

Livvy had her 6m appt today.  She was only 25.5" and 14lb2oz.  She's tiny!  That's only 18th % for weight, such a difference from what I remember of her brothers at this age.

 

Developmentally she's sitting on her own and only topples over after a few minutes.  She's saying dada and babbling a few other sounds.  She can roll both ways, but doesn't do either very frequently because someone is almost always holding her.  Hitting all the milestones, I guess.  The newest thing is waving and it is so cute and unexpected.  Her bothers wave to her all the time and a couple of days ago she started waving back!  I'm trying to catch it on video.  We'll probably start solids one day this week.  I'm thinking sweet potatoes or squash.  It all sounds so unexciting when I type it out, but you guys can appreciate how exciting some of this stuff is!  

 

Oh!  We see a family doctor.  He's a young guy, just joined the practice a couple of years ago.  At Olivia's first appointment he was startled and curious about us not vaccinating.  He said he had never heard of that before.  Then he asked how much formula she was taking and I surprised him again by telling him she is 100% breastfed.  He was impressed, which confused me so I asked if that was really so unusual.  He said that they have very few patients that breastfeed and told me how wonderful I was for doing it.  We chatted about other parenting things and went on our way.  He thought I was cool for homeschooling, and impressed with the boys' manners.  At her second appointment he was so laid back, telling me that I knew what I was doing and basically making me feel like supermom!  lol. Today he told me that the only other woman he has known whose baby has never had a bottle was his sister and that he thinks we're both doing great things for our babies.  I don't know exactly what is is about the conversations, but I have this feeling that I'm influencing his future parenting philosophy assuming he has children one day.  

 


No doubt! How sad that he didn't learn about this in med school, but it's great that he is so open to "new" ideas. :)

 

Yea Livvy! Maybe she knows that if she stays small, she's more likely to get carried around a lot longer. :)

 

 

post #17 of 42

 

Sofie just had her 6 month visit last Friday. 

 

She was 6 pounds 3 oz at birth

             15 pounds 10 ounces at 6 months

 

She is 50th percentile for weight and height..still 10th percentile for head :-) as someone else noted for their babe before we do have a little tick in our hands (a very cute one at that).

 

Livvy is waving?! that is awesome! 

 

I love when Peds are open to hear what people are doing as parents! Instead of not being interested if it does not fit within their frame of mind. We also started seeing a family doctor. It felt like the right thing to do when my postpartum recovery was so integral in Sofie's nursing etc. I LOVE it when he looks at her charts on the computer and goes "yes, this is how great things look when babies are on breastmilk"...she is 50th at best, but I think it is very important for babes on BM to be evaluated on a different scale than formula since the way they gain weight differs within the first 8 months or so.

 

Isn't great that all are babies made it to 6 months, all happy and healthy in variety of shapes and sizes :-)

post #18 of 42

River had his 6 month appointment yesterday.

 

20.5 lbs and 29" long. I seriously thought he'd be much bigger than that, as he hasn't gained much weight in the last 2 months. But I have noticed that since he started scooting and moving around more, I've had to put his diapers on a tighter setting. The slowed growth is a good thing, because mama's getting tired of lugging his big butt around! :)

 

And his first tooth is starting to make its appearance as of yesterday.

post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
 I don't know exactly what is is about the conversations, but I have this feeling that I'm influencing his future parenting philosophy assuming he has children one day.  

 


love.gif  Isn't that a wonderful feeling?  I wish I had a dr like that.  I should look.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

Sofie just had her 6 month visit last Friday. 

 

She was 6 pounds 3 oz at birth

             15 pounds 10 ounces at 6 months



thumb.gif



Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

River had his 6 month appointment yesterday.

 

20.5 lbs and 29" long. I seriously thought he'd be much bigger than that, as he hasn't gained much weight in the last 2 months. But I have noticed that since he started scooting and moving around more, I've had to put his diapers on a tighter setting. The slowed growth is a good thing, because mama's getting tired of lugging his big butt around! :)

 

And his first tooth is starting to make its appearance as of yesterday.


Woo hoo!

I hear you about lugging the big butt around!  I'm taking Finn in next week, we shall see how he does!

Exciting about the tooth!!

 

All our babies are doing awesome!!

 

post #20 of 42
Thread Starter 

Birth: 21.5in, 9lbs, 14oz

6 months: 30 in (!!!!), 20lbs (not much gain, yay flailing!)

 

He can sit pretty much forever. Instead of babbling, he's going for sound effects - he really likes to cough. And scrunch up his face while breathing loudly through his nose. Completely cute ;)

Mothering › Groups › August 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › 6 months!