I have a 5 1/2 month old and we started co-sleeping from birth, but after 3 months he wanted to nurse all night and neither of us could sleep well. We quit co-sleeping and tried to transition to the crib. He flat out refused. Eventually we discovered he would sleep in his car seat (and I'm not a fan of using the car seat for anything but the car ride, but it just worked). Now, I'd like to try co-sleeping again but this time use an Arms Reach co-sleeper. I'm hoping that this will help with the constant nighttime nursing. My major problem is that my baby goes to sleep hours before I do. I don't think it's safe to have him in the co-sleeper without supervision. What do other parents do? Where do you put your baby to sleep when you are not sleeping together?? I hope we can continue to co-sleep in a family bed situation through toddlerhood, so what do parents do when the little one can crawl out of the bed and fall on the floor? I just want to be a responsible parent. I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks!
Mothering Top Picks
Related Forum Threads
- Family bed - how old is too old? Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:50pm in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
- Is Bedsharing Safe? Last post on 8/27/13 at 10:58am in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
- 4yo wants me to be facing him in bed - always Last post on 4/30/12 at 6:30pm in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
- why is bed sharing so hard!!!! Last post on 4/24/12 at 11:50am in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
- What to do about ACTIVE sleeper (2 yrs old) Last post on 4/20/12 at 8:34am in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
how to safely co-sleep w/ early bedtime?
We have bed rails on our bed and, once she was more mobile we put our mattress on the floor, where it remains to this day When she was little I would prop the pillows against the headboard so she couldn't get under them and fold the bedclothes down to the foot of the bed well away from her.
I put my son down in his Arm's Reach alone - - is the issue that at 5 1/2 months, your child is able to sit and maybe climb out? I've been concerned about this stage myself but my plan is to drop the AR mattress down to the play yard position. It will make getting him out in the middle of the night more difficult, but I really don't think you can put a baby who can roll, sit and pull up in the AR otherwise - those sides are too low and it seems it would be easy for him to flop right over.
We put our mattress on the floor as well. We kept the box spring under it and I put DS to sleep in the middle of the bed. I don't recall him ever rolling off of the bed, but it was so low that if he did it would have been a non-issue anyway.
I agree that an arms reach sounds like it could be dangerous. I would be afraid of a LO flipping over the side. At that age I would be comfortable with the baby in the bed, but if you're not then I'd second the pp suggestion of lowering the mattress to the play yard position.
- › Hi everyone 3 minutes ago
- › Hello Friends :) 4 minutes ago
- › ~*~The TTC ONE Thread~*~April 2014 6 minutes ago
- › It Could Have Been Me-- a tough but necessary reminder 6 minutes ago
- › ~~~The Belly Thread~~~ 26 minutes ago
- › Nursing mamas check in :) 28 minutes ago
- › Wait! I'm a mom of many?! 33 minutes ago
- › PPD and 5-HTP and lactation 35 minutes ago
- › April 2014 challenge: 1,000 minutes of exercise! 35 minutes ago
- › A great article …and I am just mad 40 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness