or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies - Page 17

post #321 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

The easiest way to get a reservation is for us to pick a month and the number of days and let my mom reserve whatever she can get. will that work for those who work? can you go to work and say yo need this specific week off?
if that's ok with everyone, also tell me how many days, 3-7. the sooner i get dates and days to my mom the better our chances of getting the reservation we want.


I pick September and 4 days.  Weekday or weekend doesn't matter to us!  Chris can figure out work around what you get, and it's far enough away it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and we'd like 2 double beds as first choice, but 1 king would probably work just as well.  

 

Did I mention DH is going away the last 2 weeks of March?  I forget where, I think Raleigh.  But he'll be gone for my bday!  For the first time in 13 years he won't be around on my birthday.  

post #322 of 407
Thread Starter 
Thanks, Carrie. Noted.

We'll probably need a king. I doubt Ethan will agree to sleep anywhere other than our bed unless there are other big kids to share a room with. Sean would probably agree to sleeping on the floor.

Since Annie will have 3, I'm going to assume a queen would work best. Since Kat will have 4, a king or 2 doubles would probably work best. Unless, of course, people bring co-sleepers or cribs or a cot, in which case things might be better switched.

Based on all of that, right now I'm thinking 1 single king with adjoining 2 doubles and one either 2 or 3 bedroom unit depending on whether or not Annie's older kids can come. We don't need to set all of that stuff in stone ahead of time. I just want to make sure I get the best arrangement of units/beds.

Bummer about your birthday. You'll have to celebrate before he leaves. We do that a lot here, celebrate special days early or late because Sean is gone so much. He has missed most of Ethan's birthdays, which really stinks. He actually will be home for my birthday this year, which is rare, and maybe even for our anniversary. That would be a miracle.

I think I've figured out what's going on with Dylan now. I think he's getting both top 2nd teeth. Both sides are bulging and I can see white just under the gum. I can't feel any sharp edges yet. I took off the hazelwood necklace but left the amber on to see if that makes a difference.

I keep meaning to say, going back to the question about whether I pick Dylan up at night, I do if he's really squirmy because that's usually a sign that he has a lot of gas. I will pick him up and put him on my shoulder to burp. He usually lets out a series of little burps and then goes to sleep. He doesn't always stay asleep, though. When he's having gas problems, I have to do that several times a night.
post #323 of 407
Thread Starter 
Here's how my mom described the rooms:
Quote:
The 3 BR condos have 1 king, 1 queen and 1 room with 2 doubles. If you want 2 kings there are unis with a connecting door between a 1 BR (king) and a 2 BR( 1 king and prob. 2 doubles in one room). there's also a 4 BR "presidential suite" available I've forgotten what the beds are

I was confused about the units with connecting doors. With that, we'd get 2 kings and either 1 queen or 2 dbls. I really wish I could get on the site myself and look at all of this stuff. She still hasn't sent me corrected login info. She doesn't check her email regularly and she goes away on the weekends a lot (timeshares smile.gif).
post #324 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Here's how my mom described the rooms:
Quote:
The 3 BR condos have 1 king, 1 queen and 1 room with 2 doubles. If you want 2 kings there are unis with a connecting door between a 1 BR (king) and a 2 BR( 1 king and prob. 2 doubles in one room). there's also a 4 BR "presidential suite" available I've forgotten what the beds are
I was confused about the units with connecting doors. With that, we'd get 2 kings and either 1 queen or 2 dbls. I really wish I could get on the site myself and look at all of this stuff. She still hasn't sent me corrected login info. She doesn't check her email regularly and she goes away on the weekends a lot (timeshares :)).


You could get a king, Kat could get a king, and then maybe Annie and I could take the 2 doubles?  I'm fine with 2 doubles like I said.  Not sure who'd come with annie. 

 

Keep us posted after you get to look at the site for yourself!!

 

I just posted in my ddc, what do gums that are about to erupt with teeth look like?  Finns upper gums are now kind of...white.  You can see the individual teeth under the gum.  Nothing red and angry looking.  But he is soooo fussy lately.  

 

 

post #325 of 407
Thread Starter 
Dylan's gums never looked red or angry. They just looked swollen but I think that was from the bulging teeth, not from the gums swelling from being aggravated. Does that make sense?

If we do 4 days over a weekend, then maybe Annie's older kids can come for at least part of the time. Of course, like I said before, some of use could get a week and not everyone has to come for the while time. Sean and I might go for a week regardless of what the rest of you want to do.

And, of course, I've only named Carrie, Annie and Kat because they responded. Others are welcome. Just let me know.
post #326 of 407

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

i used to at least be able to count on an hour or two in the morning when he'd be happy to play but not recently. he's not happy no matter what. he's not sick anymore so i don't know what it is, maybe gas or reflux or teething. 
dylan seems to fuss all the time no matter what i'm doing. he fusses when i set him on the floor, he fusses when i hold him, he doesn't want to nurse, he fusses when i put him in his high chair. i don't know what to do with him and it's making me angry.

It makes it hard to keep up with all the lovely AP things when you're like "but he/she just screams anyways!"  DH keeps telling me he doesn't see the point of us holding her so she can claw at us and shriek in our ears, when she could do the same thing in her bed. I keep saying that at least she's not alone, but you seriously start wondering if she even notices that there's a person holding her. 

 

Stay strong mama, It's got to pass eventually... right? lol

post #327 of 407
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Quote:

It makes it hard to keep up with all the lovely AP things when you're like "but he/she just screams anyways!"  DH keeps telling me he doesn't see the point of us holding her so she can claw at us and shriek in our ears, when she could do the same thing in her bed. I keep saying that at least she's not alone, but you seriously start wondering if she even notices that there's a person holding her. 

 

Stay strong mama, It's got to pass eventually... right? lol


I definitely don't think it's a good idea to just leave baby alone. Obviously, he's distressed over something and I think it would be horrible to abandon him then. I'm sure it would be very helpful if Sean were here to take him off my hands sometimes, especially when he's just fussy and doesn't want to nurse. Sean could take him for a walk or just carry him around the way my dad did. I don't know how my dad had the patience for that. I cannot walk around my house in circles, which of course is the only time that Dylan doesn't fuss, when I stand or walk with him.
post #328 of 407

Sept or Oct would be fine for me. I wouldn't be able to stay for 7 days but 4 days would be great, especially if it included the weekend because then I wouldn't have to take as many days off from work. If it worked out that my older kids were home that weekend, I would probably just have DH drive them down for the day. We've done Williamsburg as a day trip before so that's no problem. So a room w/a queen or two doubles would be fine for me.

 

Water Country USA isn't open after Labor Day but Busch Gardens is open on the weekends in September and October. If the resort has a pool, it's usually warm enough in September and October for swimming still. Prices for Jamestown are $15.50/adult, $7.25/kids 6-12 and kids under 6 are free. Colonial Williamsburg is expensive in my opinion. $40/adult, $21/kids 6-12, kids under 6 are free. You can walk around Colonial Williamsburg for free but for most of the exhibits and buildings, you have to have that ticket. There's a ferry you can drive a car on and ride across the James River to Surry, which is where Pocohontas lived. I used to live in Surry when I was a child. The ferry is fun if the weather is nice and the kids can feed the seagulls.

 

Also, Richmond is about an hour away by car and if you guys have a membership to a children's museum that participates in the reciprical program, then the Children's Museum of Richmond is a lot of fun as well as the Science Museum of Virginia. They are right next door to each other so it's great for all ages.

 

Ooooh this is going to be so much fun!

 

Fussy babies...yep I have one of those right now. Especially when she hasn't slept. She would only nap in the car this weekend and not in the house where I was staying so I had a super tired baby on my hands last night when I was waiting for the parents to get back. She wouldn't tolerate me sitting or standing still so for the last 1 1/2 hours, I had to walk around the house with her. Boy was I sore and tired when it was time to leave! She slept pretty well though so hopefully we'll have a good week but we are going to be away from our house again this upcoming weekend so I need to prepare for not good sleep again!

 

DD is really getting the hang of the eating thing. I gave her some shredded chicken breast last night and she really liked it. She did the "mmmmmm" sound again. Roasted apple puree this AM? Ummmm, not so much. She tasted it but wasn't a fan. I don't think she likes sweet stuff. She has been very enthusiastic about savory stuff though. She's not eating enough though to make a meal but I'm glad she gets to taste different stuff. For those of you that do solids instead of purees, do you notice that the food comes out the other end in pretty much the same shape as it went in? DD tasted broccoli on Friday and yesterday, I found pieces of broccoli in her diaper. shy.gif

post #329 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
 For those of you that do solids instead of purees, do you notice that the food comes out the other end in pretty much the same shape as it went in? DD tasted broccoli on Friday and yesterday, I found pieces of broccoli in her diaper. shy.gif


Yup - totally.

That's great that she's digging savory stuff!  And that she's eating it!  Hooray!

 

I think I see some teeth just barely under the surface in Finn's mouth.  I hope it's teeth.  Otherwise, I just don't know what I'm going to do with this baby!  He's so crabby, won't sleep.

Ok - day 5 on amber instead of hazelwood.  His mood is much better, he's happy and playing.  BUT he is PUKING and his puke smells so acidic.  I commented to DH about it and he was like, wow.  Maybe switch back.  But I'm like, his mood though!?  Do I want a fussy baby or a pukey one?  He had 3 massive pukes today.  That's more than usual.  And the smell is awful!!

 

It was chilly out but I took the kids for a stroller walk today.  We had a nice walk.  DD pushed her baby stroller too, and we got a few nice comments from neighbors.  It truly felt like old times.  I hope we have more of these good times rather than power struggles as we navigate her late toddlerhood/early childhood.

 

post #330 of 407
Thread Starter 
Yes, totally normal to see food come out the other end whole, especially vegetables that are harder to digest.

Now that you mention it, Annie, I remember going to the ticket office at Williamsburg with my mom. I didn't pay much attention to what the tickets were for or how much they cost because I'm not really into going to the presentations. I wonder if you have to have tickets to attend the outdoor speeches. I can't remember. I know we can get discounts at the timeshare place and I can get discounted tickets from the military base. I can look into that closer to when we go to see if one way is cheaper than the other. The only thing I really want to do is go to Jamestown. I always mean to go when we are there but I don't think we ever got around to it. Not everyone has to go, though. We can do separate things sometimes if we want.

Dylan has had a better day after his first nap. Maybe he just needed more sleep this morning. I caught a poop in the sink today. I wasn't planning to. I haven't been doing anything with EC in a long time. But I had just changed a poopy diaper and put on a thicker one in anticipation of a nap when he started making noises like he was pooping again. So, I rushed him into the bathroom and stripped off his clothes. He looked at me like, "What in the world are you doing?" lol.gif His poo was very mucousy.

Carrie ~ I think the hazelwood is supposed to help some with teething, too. That's why I got a hazelwood necklace with amber beads and had been keeping both that and the all amber necklace on Dylan. I guess deciding which necklace to use depends on which issue is more of a health problem. I'd probably be more worried about the physical damage that GERD could do than the fussiness but I know how hard it is to deal with the fussiness. That's a hard one.

Annie ~ Was there anything on the chicken you gave Ava? I have thought about giving Dylan some meat since he doesn't seem to like the bananas or squash but I almost always season meat or cook it in a sauce.
post #331 of 407

That's awesome that you caught a poop MW! DD always gets this look on her face like she's proud of herself when she goes potty on the toilet. It's pretty funny!

 

The chicken was the inside of a breaded chicken breast that had been baked. I just took a portion from the middle that didn't have any breading on it and shredded it up. DD thought it was great!

 

Baby_Cakes, ugh the puking is the worst! DD got me good the other night in the middle of the night. I was half asleep and didn't realize how much she had drank and then she started fussing so I picked her up and blam! All over me! Down my bra...it was crazy! I still haven't gotten an amber necklace. I need to look in to that again.

post #332 of 407
Thread Starter 
I saw some really nice amber necklaces on Etsy a couple of weeks ago. There were some rare unpolished green ones and other unpolished ones. Those are supposed to be the most effective. I wanted to buy one so badly but didn't since I already have one. I found them while searching nursing necklaces.

I think Dylan peed, too. I didn't see it but the tip of his penis was wet.

Do you hold Ava over the regular toilet or do you use a baby toilet? I set Dylan on the toilet after he stopped in case he had a little more. He didn't like that much but he didn't get really upset like he did when I tried that a few months ago.
post #333 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Do you hold Ava over the regular toilet or do you use a baby toilet? I set Dylan on the toilet after he stopped in case he had a little more. He didn't like that much but he didn't get really upset like he did when I tried that a few months ago.

 

I hold her over the regular toilet now. I hold her so her back is up against my chest and I hold her by the backs of her thighs and put her in a sitting position over the toilet. If she doesn't need to go, she puts her feet down on the toilet seat and pushes up.
 

 

post #334 of 407

Ugh barf down the bra.  That's one of the grossest ones!!  lol.gif

 

Today is going to be a crazy day.  Chris has meetings so he won't be down from 9-12, I HAVE to clean the kitchen/dishes, pick up the living room, and CLEAN the damn bathroom.  Then I have to drop DD at school at 230 and then go straight to the OB for my issues.  Chris is going to watch DS so I don't have to bring him.  Hopefully they get me in on time and it's quick, so I don't have to rush to pick DD UP at school!  The dr is a solid 40 min away.  

At least we got decent sleep.  Finn woke every 2-3 hours only.  Whew.

 

Pouring my 2nd cup of coffee and it's just 8 am!  Gotta get my energy up!  

 

So...we're thinking Disneyworld with the kids in May.  energy.gif  I'm so freaking excited!  

post #335 of 407

so much to catch up on!

 

4 days, with partially over a weekend would work best for us, September or October would be fantastic. Definitely need a king size bed. I am excited!

 

We have a children's museum membership, but the level we purchased doesn't include reciprocal benefits. We don't travel enough for the extra $50 or more to be worth it.

 

You know, by the time we do this, most of the babies will be 1 or close to it - it's hard to imagine!

 

Necklaces: Gabe has taken over Norah's amber necklace and is wearing it, and his hazelwood one. (does he need either or both at this point, I have no idea, but he likes wearing them). I should get Norah another amber one.

 

I think the main issue with the hazelwood/amber combo necklaces, is that there is actually not a lot of amber in them compared to an amber-only necklace, so it is going to be less effective. Now, I don't see as much problem with wearing 2 necklaces. When Norah is wearing hers, she wears it 24/7. (Gabe wears both 24/7 now) - we take off for baths, but they in and of themselves are pretty infrequent. (2-3 times a week). Norah gets bathed usually once a week.

 

Water won't bother the hazelwood, but it does the amber.

 

If your baby is so fussy you think you might do them harm (or if you just notice your temper rising), then I think its safer to put them somewhere safe and walk away for a few minutes, but maybe stay in sight if you can. I think on some level baby does notice you're there.

 

When DS had extremely fussy nights like that, DH used to be of the same mind, well, if he's gonna fuss anyway, why not lay him down? Why? because either way, I'm not going to get any sleep, and I'd rather feel like I was *doing* something than nothing.

 

When DD is in a very hold-me mood, I wrap her on my back and just go on doing whatever. I really can't say enough how much learning to wrap has made my life easier and just far more doable. It's kind of like swaddling (even though we don't swaddle) - it seems to soothe her immediately. I can sway, dance, bounce all while still having my arms free to do other things. Unless she is extremely upset - leg straightening, back arching, etc, she goes on my back and usually will calm down. if she is really uspet, I wrap her on the front and go.

 

Anyone who has experience getting stuff from Canada, what is the max time to allow something to come from there expedited? I got a carrier from a Canadian mama, and it shipped insured and all that. Today is 2 weeks.

 

Much as I hate puking, I would rather have a happy, puky baby, than a cranky one with a calm tummy.

 

 

post #336 of 407
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

If your baby is so fussy you think you might do them harm (or if you just notice your temper rising), then I think its safer to put them somewhere safe and walk away for a few minutes, but maybe stay in sight if you can.

yeahthat.gif I meant to say that, too.

Sometimes I put Dylan down on the floor if I feel myself getting too aggravated. I tell him I can't hold him while he flops around all over the place. It's too physically exhausting for me. I can hold him while he cries or fusses but I can't handle it when he won't be still.

Wrapping him at home doesn't work for me because I spend most of my time sitting. I can't sit with him on my back and he's not happy with that, either. If I'm trying to do something like clean the floors or cook, it would work but I usually just do that stuff when he's either not fussy or napping.

Yes, to the necklaces, too. I read the amber doesn't work as well if it's combined with something else but the hazelwood works fine. Since I got the hazelwood mainly for the reflux I just got one with amber beads in case would help some with teething but that's not the main purpose of it. I don't think the amber is really helping Dylan, though. I took the hazelwood off him yesterday and left just the amber necklace on. He spit up 3 or 4 times, which he usually never does. He was also very restless all night. Today I'm going to try just the hazelwood necklace and leave the amber off.

It can takes weeks to get something to or from Canada. It can get caught up in customs or who knows where else. I know this from reading posts from people in Canada who have ordered through yarn co-ops. That's why the USPS won't gaurantee priority shipping times to Canada.

I've been thinking about the fact that our babies will all be around a year old when we go on this trip. It will be so fun to see them all together.

I've got everyone down like this:

Carrie - 2 dbls
Annie - queen or 2 dbls.
Kat - king
Me - king

i think the best unit make up would be one king with an adjoining 2 bedroom with a queen and 2 doubles and another 2 bedroom unit with a king and whatever, if we can get that. if not, then a 3 bedroom unit with one of each.

4 days over a weekend in September or possibly October. I prefer September so I'm going to try for that first.
post #337 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

i think the best unit make up would be one king with an adjoining 2 bedroom with a queen and 2 doubles and another 2 bedroom unit with a king and whatever, if we can get that. if not, then a 3 bedroom unit with one of each.
4 days over a weekend in September or possibly October. I prefer September so I'm going to try for that first.


Awesome!

This will be so fun!!  

 

I meant to talk about the fact that ever since I posted about it, DS has been needing 2 boobs per feeding.  I'm really anxious to see the result of this growth spurt.

According to my notes, he hasn't grown in inches since his 4 mo visit.  He was still 28.5" long last week.  Weight wise he has gained 4 lbs.  His head is about the same, maybe 1/4" bigger.  It's hard to accurately measure a wiggly baby head.

 

 

My dishwasher keeps leaking all over the kitchen floor.  It drives me nuts that there's a puddle each time.  It leaks from a different spot each time, so even thought I put a bowl under it to catch drips, inevitably it leaks from a different spot the next time.  I just want to buy a new one.  DH says, "I'll fix it, I'll fix it."  I've had a river in my kitchen every day for about a month.  I'd like to know when he's going to fix it!  I could have had a new one by now!!

post #338 of 407
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I meant to talk about the fact that ever since I posted about it, DS has been needing 2 boobs per feeding.  I'm really anxious to see the result of this growth spurt.

According to my notes, he hasn't grown in inches since his 4 mo visit.  He was still 28.5" long last week.  Weight wise he has gained 4 lbs.  His head is about the same, maybe 1/4" bigger.  It's hard to accurately measure a wiggly baby head.


That's just what they do, isn't it? Just when you think you have them figured out, they switch things up on you.

I've been meaning to post about Dylan's growth. He was 7 months on Saturday so I weighed and measured him. He didn't grow any in length, still at 27" (Although, it's hard for me to get an accurate measurement of that.). He only gained about 5 ounces in a month. He hasn't gained even a whole pound in 2 months. Should I be worried?

His development is right on track and he's certainly not skinny or underweight. He's been working on crawling, which he is officially doing as of yesterday, and I know that takes a lot of energy. Plus, weight gain slows once baby starts moving on his own. But, he hasn't been moving on his own that long. He doesn't usually spit up at all so I know he's getting all the milk he drinks. He's fussy a lot but he's also been sick or teething.

I considered taking him to the doctor but then remember the experience my friend had with that. She took her DD in for a check up and the doctor decided she was too small for her age, wasn't gaining enough, possibly FTT. He told her to start giving her DD Pediasure. When she declined and said she'd like to talk about feeding her more whole foods (the baby was over a year old, maybe even 2), the doc just kept insisting that she needed Pediasure. My friend left the doctor's office refusing to give her DD Pediasure and the next she knew, someone from CPS was at her door.

Other than the slow weight gain, there's really no reason for me to think there's anything wrong with him so I don't feel the need to rush him to the doctor. OTOH, I'm not a doctor so I can't recognize any problem that he might have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

My dishwasher keeps leaking all over the kitchen floor.  It drives me nuts that there's a puddle each time.  It leaks from a different spot each time, so even thought I put a bowl under it to catch drips, inevitably it leaks from a different spot the next time.  I just want to buy a new one.  DH says, "I'll fix it, I'll fix it."  I've had a river in my kitchen every day for about a month.  I'd like to know when he's going to fix it!  I could have had a new one by now!!

lol.gif My husband does that. He says he'll fix something and it sits forever. My stove has been broken for over a year. Just the other day a screw came out of the handle so now that's falling apart. I can't find the screw anywhere to put it back together. That will be the first thing on his honey-do list when he gets home.
post #339 of 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post


I've been meaning to post about Dylan's growth. He was 7 months on Saturday so I weighed and measured him. He didn't grow any in length, still at 27" (Although, it's hard for me to get an accurate measurement of that.). He only gained about 5 ounces in a month. He hasn't gained even a whole pound in 2 months. Should I be worried?
His development is right on track and he's certainly not skinny or underweight. He's been working on crawling, which he is officially doing as of yesterday, and I know that takes a lot of energy. Plus, weight gain slows once baby starts moving on his own. But, he hasn't been moving on his own that long. He doesn't usually spit up at all so I know he's getting all the milk he drinks. He's fussy a lot but he's also been sick or teething.
 

I don't think you should be worried.  Gain is gain, and it's supposed to slow down now. Finn doesn't move at all and his gain has definitely slowed.  Up til that visit, and for a few weeks after, he was gaining 1 lb a week!  I'm glad it's slowing down!  

I really don't think that warrants a dr visit.  You know Dylan is just fine.  Especially with the new developmental milestones he is hitting, everything sounds normal to me.

post #340 of 407
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post


I don't think you should be worried.  Gain is gain, and it's supposed to slow down now. Finn doesn't move at all and his gain has definitely slowed.  Up til that visit, and for a few weeks after, he was gaining 1 lb a week!  I'm glad it's slowing down!  

I really don't think that warrants a dr visit.  You know Dylan is just fine.  Especially with the new developmental milestones he is hitting, everything sounds normal to me.


Thanks. You're right. I know that in my gut but then I read stuff about how babies are supposed to gain 3-5 ounces a week and I get worried. He's only gaining that much a month.

Ryan ran off with my baby. lol.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies