I am a vomiter when giving birth, but have to eat and drink to keep my energy up. What are you favorite tummy easy things to eat and drink?
- topicPregnancytagged by System, 2/4/12
Related Forum Threads
- How is labor/birth when you are older? Last post on 10/5/13 at 10:20pm in I'm Pregnant
- Prenatals? Last post on 11/8/13 at 5:42pm in May 2014 Due Date Club
- HELP! How do I prevent gaining more weight during pregnancy? Last post on 10/5/13 at 10:32pm in I'm Pregnant
- Nuchal Translucency? Last post on 9/18/13 at 2:34pm in I'm Pregnant
Interview with a Midwife: Diet, Supplements, and Pregnancy
Last edited: 11/25/13
- Breech Birth: Why Can't Women Have it Their Way?Last edited: 10/30/13
- Remembering Pregnancy LossLast edited: 10/14/13
- Kids in the House: the New Video Resource for FamiliesLast edited: 9/26/13
- Loving Your Postpartum BodyLast edited: 9/17/13
What foods do you find work best during labor?post #1 of 152/3/12 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #2 of 152/4/12 at 9:55pmpost #3 of 152/5/12 at 4:50pmpost #4 of 152/5/12 at 7:32pm
I couldn't eat but having something to keep the energy up was important to me after the exhaustion I went through with my first birth. I brought protein shakes & a sports drink which worked well. I know neither are particularly natural but they worked well with my nutritional needs & were easy to consume when I didn't really feel like eating.post #5 of 152/6/12 at 7:56ampost #6 of 152/6/12 at 11:20am
My drink of choice during DS' labor was coconut water/pineapple juice mixed. The coconut water keeps you hydrated, and the pineapple juice makes it more palatable (sweeter). I drank a case of coconut water and 3-ish quarts of juice.
Between us all I think we went through 2 or 3 loaves of (fresh) bread for toast. And a gallon bag of dried pears.
I'm hoping to be a little more organized this time, but it may not happen.post #7 of 152/9/12 at 8:26pmThread Starter
Great additions, thanks!
Adding applesauce and yogurt to my list. And coconut water I had forgotten about. I have a protein bar recipe I will likely use too. I tend to have long labors until about 5 or 6 cm that wear mean out. Then 5-10 cm happens in less than an hour (thus the vomiting) and baby come with a fast and hard 20 min of push.
With my third I was really shot by the time I was pushing, despite food and drink. I think I need a little more umph this go around.post #8 of 152/13/12 at 12:26pm
Thanks for the ideas. I know our hospitals here tend to not offer anything when you are in labor. I was so hungry I got a bad migraine and they gave me 8$/ea tylenol (I shoulda just gotten them out of my purse!). After that my only choice was apple juice from their family fridge thing. I didn't get sick until I had to use oxygen and the smell of the brand-new vinyl nose-cover-thing made me sick! After that I felt great .. but hungry. I actually heard that eating something can make labor better. Anyone else hear that?post #9 of 152/13/12 at 5:39pm
I thought I'd be hungry during labor (I'm always hungry) but wasn't. But I was so glad my DH was firmly encouraging me to eat my birth snacks throughout labor, because it ended up being very long and physically demanding. Because I wasn't hungry, things like sandwiches and protein bars sounded horrible to me, but I could force down yogurt & honey, coconut water with juice and bananas. It's great to have a variety.post #10 of 152/21/12 at 8:22amMy labor was so quick (6 hours) and started right after I had a big Chicken Pad Thai lunch that I didn't end up eating during labor, but if I had I would have tried string cheese, yogurt, blueberries, grapes, saltine crackers, goldfish, soup, Gatorade, not sure what else. My OB had said "we'll see" about me eating during labor in the hospital, so I planned to proceed to do it and act like I was supposed to be (not like the OB's get there until later anyway, my OB almost missed my birth ), but I was only in the hospital for a little while in labor, so it didn't end up being an issue. Man was I hungry afterwards though, even though really I was just eating dinner a touch latepost #11 of 152/21/12 at 10:38ampost #12 of 152/21/12 at 1:26pmpost #13 of 152/25/12 at 10:43am
I ate about half of a large pepperoni pizza just before my labor started- I felt like I was STARVING! Once real contractions started, I was not at all hungry. I drank water but threw it up a couple of times. Luckily my active labor was pretty short, so it wasn't at all a big deal. I had every intention of eating at the hospital if I felt like it. A lot of women don't feel like eating when they're in active labor without an epidural though.post #14 of 152/25/12 at 1:57pmThread StarterDespite not having epidurals, I'm always hungry during labor. Mainly because I have weird labors that work in spiurts.....like took 12 hr to get to 7cm, went to hospital then, stalled between 7 and 8 for about 10 hrs, then dilated to 10cm in about 3 contraxs. I was drinking coffee and eating a tuna sando before pushing, lol.
- Breech Birth: Why Can't Women Have it Their Way?
- › My Essential Oils Cheatsheet for Labor 1 minute ago
- › Please explain to me why.. 4 minutes ago
- › 24 week appt. 18 minutes ago
- › December chat thread! 23 minutes ago
- › Chicken Pox - My son has been excused from school 24 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 30 minutes ago
- › Great Family Movies this Year 31 minutes ago
- › New Study: Chickenpox vaccination not linked to increased shingles... 31 minutes ago
- › 6 month old waking up every hour. Please help 32 minutes ago
- › milestones 33 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo