I just worked on the kitchen and made a few discoveries and I wanted to share.
I have been neglecting the kitchen all week, this weekend my son is with Dad, so I had to clean it. I woke up at 8, but stayed in bed not wanting to face it, until hunger pushed me out of bed, and where is food? In the kitchen.
I had a bowl of cherios and almond milk and I decided to time myself. I said "I'll work in the kitchen for 15 min and then take a break"
I got started at a medium pace, not rushing, not sluggish.
I tricked my mind, I said "This is not mykitchen, I am here to help out" :) That mindset helped!
Well, the 15 min were over and I realize:
1) I was almost done! (Not counting cleaning the fridge or floors) Granted I have a dishwasher.
2) The most time consuming task was to put away stuff that Didnt belong in the kitchen (more on this below)
3) There was garbage everywhere, I need a basket where to put garbage at counter level. Funny, because I am very petite, but I dislike leaning towards the garbage and my kitchen is too little for the tall ones.
So I concluded:
- Even after a week of neglect, cleaning the kitchen doesnt really take THAT much time
- I work better if I pretend I am cleaning somebody else's kitchen. Imagine someone is sick and asked for help, or that I am helping at a shelter
- The stuff that didnt belong in the kitchen can be described in 3 overall categories: Toys, Clothing, Paper, Office Supplies. toys and clothing are a mishap, I dont want those items in my kitchen (once it is clean it is back to being my kitchen :-) ) but paper and office supplies happen because I open my mail and go over school papers in the kitchen, because my dining table is full!!! SO, for now I am allowing myself to have paper in the kitchen, I'll get a bin. Usually i woukd go to Target and get a desk organizer, but since I might, maybe not, but might lose my job. I'll see what they have at the dollar store I can use
- I need garbage basket at counter level where garbage can gravitate as I cook and prepare meals, then i can empty that once a day on the real garbage
I also discover that all my mess is alwats in plain view... my cupboards and drawers stay organized. I need to think why that is
What do you think? What changes can you make to make it easier for you. Changes can be on stuff, organizational tools, way you do things, or even mindset!
On the way to a half decent home!