or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Where's your uterus these days?

Where's your uterus these days? - Page 2

post #21 of 61

Demeter, I wasn't soeaking to you specifically (or anyone else, for that matter) and didn't say that you don't know what a fundus feels like.  Of course there are going to be variations based on body type, baby size, etc.  But if there are first timers here (and I have no idea without looking who that might be in this thread, so again, not directed at anyone in particular) saying that they already feel their fundus at belly button height at 12 weeks, then either they have a really ginormous baby in there, or they're feeling something other than their fundus.  And if they're not feeling the right thing, maybe they'd like to know that so they can check again.  FWIW, I have worked in hospitals in antepartum, postpartum, L&D, newborn nursery, and now in NICU.  I have also felt many a fundus, and while there is variation, there isn't all that much.  It makes me wonder to see everyone in this thread feeling super high funduses (fundi?) when we're all at about the same point.  I can't be the only one out of 10-15 people here with an average height fundus.  If it's not something you've really done before, it can be hard to know if you're feeling the right thing.

post #22 of 61

lol.. I just imagine each of us feeling ourselves up to feel our fundus. ROTFLMAO.gif

 

My midwife measured the top of my uterus right in the center of my belly button. My fibroid keeps my uterus around 3-4 months in size when I'm not preggers though - so I know it's a little higher than average already... but baby is still way down deep and the correct size.

 

I most certainly can't suck in ANYTHING.. even when I try - you only see the muscles on my rib cage activate - it's kinda funny.

post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBirdy View Post

Just a hair over 15 weeks and I can feel mine maybe 3 fingers below my belly button?

 

Holy crap, do I still have the earliest DD in our DDC?  No other late July ladies joined in? bigeyes.gif



I'm also 15 weeks, due Aug. 1st :)

post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

Demeter, I wasn't soeaking to you specifically (or anyone else, for that matter) and didn't say that you don't know what a fundus feels like.  Of course there are going to be variations based on body type, baby size, etc.  But if there are first timers here (and I have no idea without looking who that might be in this thread, so again, not directed at anyone in particular) saying that they already feel their fundus at belly button height at 12 weeks, then either they have a really ginormous baby in there, or they're feeling something other than their fundus.  And if they're not feeling the right thing, maybe they'd like to know that so they can check again.  FWIW, I have worked in hospitals in antepartum, postpartum, L&D, newborn nursery, and now in NICU.  I have also felt many a fundus, and while there is variation, there isn't all that much.  It makes me wonder to see everyone in this thread feeling super high funduses (fundi?) when we're all at about the same point.  I can't be the only one out of 10-15 people here with an average height fundus.  If it's not something you've really done before, it can be hard to know if you're feeling the right thing.




I'm measuring about 16cm.. in ALL of my pregnancies, even my first I tended towards 2cm ahead in measurement. I make LARGE babies, I cook them long as well. My last was 9lbs 5oz.... seeing as I'm 5'1 and just around 110 not pregnant my uterus quite literally has NOWHERE else to go but out.

 

If this is your first, my advice would be not to listen to ladies on the interwebs, lol. Have a CP explain measurement to you and ask to feel your fundus. I'm pretty sure the majority here have already had their first appt by now, right? (I have not yet) I will reiterate that average height, etc is based off of one pregnancies.... after that the differences are variable.

post #25 of 61

Justmee and Littlebirdy and NewMomJoy, I am 15 weeks as well.  

As far as this thread, I have no idea where my uterus is and never has it occurred to me to ask.  At my appointment this week the baby was hanging out pretty low when they searched for the HB.  

post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

I'm 12 weeks, and about halfway between my belly button and my pubic bone, which is really very large.  For those of you who are 12-14 weeks and measuring at or over your belly button, are you laying flat on your back when you check?  You shouldn't be that high for another month or so.  I think you're feeling something other than your fundus.  It generally reaches the halfway point at about 16 weeks, and doesn't reach the belly button until about 20 weeks.  Even if this isn't your first pregnancy, or you're having twins, it shouldn't be much higher than that.



Not necessarily true.  It's highly variable based on height, length of torso, etc.  I'm only measuring a week ahead of schedule, and I'm at about my belly button.  There's no way you can generalize something like where in reference to belly button; that's person specific.  Not everyone is the same height or the same torso length.  A more accurate depiction is size of uterus from pelvic bone to fundus.  This is my fourth pregnancy and I have a very clear grasp on where my fundus is, and it was backed by my well-experienced midwife.  Be cautious in making generalizations based on height.  Besides, fundal height isn't as accurate until closer to 20 weeks.  But fundal height is a better gauge than "where" in reference to your belly button.  thumb.gif

post #27 of 61

I asked the student midwife to tell/show me at my appointment tonight (13w6d) and it's about halfway between my pubic bone & belly button. She tried to show me how to feel for it myself, but she had to press in so far and it felt weird so I said I was good with her telling me and showing me on my belly. I know I'll be feeling it soon enough! 

post #28 of 61

oh - and I measured 23, almost 24 cm. Pretty much about 6 months - even though I'm only almost 4. That good fibroid!

post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBirdy View Post

Just a hair over 15 weeks and I can feel mine maybe 3 fingers below my belly button?

 

Holy crap, do I still have the earliest DD in our DDC?  No other late July ladies joined in? bigeyes.gif



im a late july lady too...the first dd they gave us was 7/20 then they said 8/5 so who knows. dh and i think its around the end of july but we all know these babies come when they want. but we are not asking them to change the dd cause i dont wanna be induced this time so that means it just gives me extra time to go into labor on my own....

 

went to the drs on thursday and was measuring about 16 wks and i was 14wks 4 days

 

post #30 of 61

I should take a pic of my belly when I'm laying down... it's VERY visible where my uterus is right now.

post #31 of 61

That would be interesting, Demeter,  for me who is still at a loss about its position. I find the same thing as CCoello, that it all feels kind of hard below the belly button, although perhaps there is now an area that seems to bulge a bit more than I noticed before. But it's not a line in my case.

post #32 of 61

Almost 15 weeks... my belly button is just under my hand. Please don't mind my undies, lol, or pulled down pants haha. As you can see my uterus does NOT fill up my whole lower abdomen as I get closer to 20ish weeks it will fill the sides out and then go up and out some more. I put my hand that way so you can see the lump that is my ute ;)

 

 

6860131611_ee4dd76888_z.jpg

post #33 of 61

Wow, that's amazing, Demeter! My body is not doing anything like that, as far as I can tell.I should get more answers on Tuesday at my appointment.

post #34 of 61

Demeter's uterus has practice! winky.gif

post #35 of 61

Yes that it does! It's definitely very different from my first two pregnancies, for sure. I didn't have that odd definition that I have now... I can remember similarly with my 3rd on. With my 3rd I asked my OB what the heck was going on and why it looked that way. I was told because I'm thin and that's how it pops up after having a couple babies previously. Interesting, though. :)

post #36 of 61

The best way I've found to find my fundus is right after I orgasm.  The uterus contracts down and is very hard.  Obviously it would not be a good time to measure fundal height as it is contracted, but it will at least give you an idea of what it feels like and about where it is. Hope this helps. Sheepish.gif

post #37 of 61
Demeter, mine is that noticeable in the morning. Maybe I'll get a photo of it tomorrow...
post #38 of 61

Demeter - that's amazing!!  Thanks for sharing...

post #39 of 61

If your bladder is particularly full (i.e. first thing in the morning) your uterus will most likely be pushed up higher.

post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post

If your bladder is particularly full (i.e. first thing in the morning) your uterus will most likely be pushed up higher.



Agreed... my picture was taken later in the evening, so not an early morning bladder thing for me... my uterus actually rests in that vicinity if I'm on my back, full bladder makes it just a bit higher. When I stand up it rests a little deeper in my abdomen.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Where's your uterus these days?