or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Planned C-section - Wait for labor or schedule?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Planned C-section - Wait for labor or schedule? - Page 3

post #41 of 58
Ok, here is something about planned verses not planned c/b.

http://www.kfshrc.edu.sa/annals/166/96-029.html

General Info:
http://www.the-health-pages.com/wome.../cesarean.html

About breathing difficulties in babies born before term:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/lin...3.01751.x/abs/

Information on Resp. Distress Syndrome in infants:
http://health.discovery.com/encyclopedias/2731.html

Here are the risks listed from just one consent form for ECV:
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
RISKS Risks are uncommon and affect few mothers and babies. Nevertheless, there are some risks associated with the procedure. Please ask your obstetrician and midwife if you have any general or specific concerns.I may have side effects from the drug used. These side effects are rare but can include nervousness, drowsiness, tremors and palpitations (awareness of my heart beating). These usually only last a few minutes and settle by themselves.I understand external cephalic version (ECV) has the following specific risks and limitations: • I may notice some discomfort during the procedure but should alert the doctor if I experience pain. • ECV may not be successful. My baby may not turn or may turn back to the breech position immediately or some time afterwards. A second attempt to turn my baby may be recommended. • Rarely, the placenta may partly lift away from the wall of the womb and there may be some bleeding. The baby’s heart rate may be slow after the procedure. If either of these happens, my baby may have to be delivered urgently via caesarean section. • In a few cases, some of the baby’s blood crosses into the mother’s circulation. This does not often cause any problems. If I have a Rhesus negative blood group, I will be given an injection (Anti-D) to prevent my body forming antibodies should there by a small exchange of blood from my baby • I will need to monitor my baby’s movements afterwards. If these are reduced, I should alert and/or contact the labour ward.
post #42 of 58
Hi! I have no experience or stats for you, but I think you said you'd be going back to the chiro tomorrow/today.

I noticed that you didn't say Webster didn't work, but that it simply wasn't indicated yesterday. BIG difference, eh?

Anyway, good luck with the appointment!
post #43 of 58
Thread Starter 
Yep, I'm going back to the chiropractor in a couple of hours. We'll see if an adjustment is indicated today.

I've had 3 adjustments so far. I don't know how many it usually takes to be effective - my understanding is it's at least 2 or 3, and can be many more. And I've probably only got time for at most 2 or 3 more sessions.

I really, really wish I'd known about this 2 weeks sooner. Or maybe I don't. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference and I would have just ended up stuck in indecision and uncertainty for even longer.
post #44 of 58
Do you see this chiro regularly, or is it only for the Webster?

Regardless, I'd suggest getting the rest of your spine adjusted as well (you may be realizing at this point that I am a chiropractor, albeit non-practicing now), as it might help your body deal with all this stress!

For what it's worth, if my babe turned breech now (I'm 36 weeks 1 day) and I felt my only option was c'section, I'd wait for labor. Just doesn't ever make sense IMO IMO IMO to schedule it. In My Opinion.

Then again, if I were having a c'section I'd be knocked out; being a chiro (for me) means never welcoming a needle in or near my spine...

But I'd likely go for the homebirth option (even unassisted) instead, so my opinion might not matter.
post #45 of 58
((hugs)) Tammy. You've gotten plenty of great advice and links so I just wanted to add my personal opinion. I would personally wait till labor starts. I haven't done a ton of research on it but I trust my body and my baby to be ready if labor starts on its own, ya know!

Good luck! I hope a C/B becomes unneccesary for you!

Tamara
post #46 of 58
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the links, OnTheFence. It's tricky of course, because what we're talking about is something that's in between a scheduled section and an actual emergency section. It's one thing to call when I start having contractions and say "I'll be in for my section in two hours" when there's no rush, as opposed to the "oh my god, we must get this baby out now" after 15 hours of labor emergency situation.

I just got the call, and my ECV will be Monday morning. I appreciate the words of advice and caution, but I've looked at a bunch of studies and talked to a bunch of people, and at this point it's a risk I'm willing to take. If that doesn't work, I will probably schedule my section for 40w+3 or 4 days, and be prepared for the fact that I might go into labor before the scheduled date.

Guess I should get to work on my c-section birth plan, so I'll have it ready when I need it.
post #47 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by mollyeilis
Do you see this chiro regularly, or is it only for the Webster?

Regardless, I'd suggest getting the rest of your spine adjusted as well (you may be realizing at this point that I am a chiropractor, albeit non-practicing now), as it might help your body deal with all this stress!
All of the stuff I've read about Webster says that you shouldn't get any other adjustments at the same visit. If I'm testing Webster negative again today, I'll ask my chiropractor about it.

BTW, yes, she is someone that I've just started seeing for Webster. But she'd been the most recommended person when I was looking for a new chiropractor, so I expect I'll continue to see her after the baby comes.
post #48 of 58
"you shouldn't get any other adjustments at the same visit"

Interesting. I left practice before getting a chance to take a Webster seminar, so I did not know that. I wonder why. I can see not wanting your thoracics or lumbars adjusted, but I would think an adjustment of your cervical vertebrae a little bit before the Webster would be JUST the ticket!

But your chiro who actually does Webster would know better than philosophical-ol'-me.
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by tammylc
All of the stuff I've read about Webster says that you shouldn't get any other adjustments at the same visit.
My chiro did...but at the same time I wasn't breech just malpositioned

I hope it works for you!

mollyellis-- I had some concerns about the needle (we see a chiro 3x a week for health maintenance) but he never said anything. He wanted me to homebirth vbac but I wasn't comfortable with it.

How does a needle cause long term effects? I didn't have any problems with my epidural before during or after. I guess I didn't think about it.
post #50 of 58
I have a horrible fear of the anaesthesiologist sneezing while putting the needle in my epidural space. Hello, paralysis!

I had the same fear while having Lasik...that I or the MD would sneeze. But blindness, to me, isn't quite the same thing as spinal cord injuries.

In my 5 years of practice and 2ish years of clinic, I took history after history of women of all ages who had long-lasting and hideous headaches after epidurals and spinals (with no prior history of headaches). That was usually part of what brought them in to see me. After seeing so much of the same history, I became even more wary than I had been.

Other than that, it's a personal preference, that happens to coincide with my former professional care of the spinal column.
post #51 of 58
Got it. Those were things I had also heard. I was very picky about how the anesth did his work. I had it redone with my T because I could tell it was in crooked.

I was jsut making sure it wasn't anything else. Thanks!!
post #52 of 58
T

you "needle-phobic" mamas are making me crack up. I'm not at all needle-phobic, in fact I like to watch while they draw blood, etc. I find it quite fascinating.

But I'm absolutely terrified of the idea of labour pains for hours and hours and hours and then pushing out a baby. So when I read how you would do anything to avoid a C/S b/c of your fear of needles, etc. I have to giggle b/c for me, I'd take a dozen needles any day over 36 hours of labour!! I think you are the brave ones, lol. Just goes to show you how different we all are sometimes
post #53 of 58
I also hate needles and all other forms of pain except for labor. I get put to sleep at the dentist for every single minor thing. I suppose it doesn't make much sense...:LOL
post #54 of 58
Piglet68, for the record I have no fear of needles. I give blood and all that.

It's the proximity to the spinal cord that's the kicker for me. As I mentioned, if I have to have a c-section everyone knows that they are to treat it as an emergency and simply knock me out. NO fiddling with needles and tubes and trying to avoid the spinal cord. Just gas me and wake me up shortly afterwards.

Paralysis is a real risk for an epidural or a spinal (or a spinal tap), and it's not one I'm willing to take. Luckily, hubby is on board with me.
post #55 of 58
If my homebirth ended in a c-section I think I would want to be put to sleep. If it's a serious emergency, which is the only reason I would ever transfer, I'm not going to care about getting to see the birth or having dh there. The thought of big needles in my spine scares me too.

The only way I would want to be awake is if it were planned.
post #56 of 58
i'm with mollyeilis on the whole needle thing. I could care less what they stick in me it is where they stick. between my vertabrea is just somewhere needles don't belong. There are a whole host of other spots they can cram drugs into your body.
post #57 of 58
tammy, i think you posted a great question. i am surprised that there isn't more information out there. if there was, i am sure this group would know it.

i do appreciate the links that OTF posted. the first one it thought was very interesting.

like others have said, i am more interested in information about procedures and outcomes than people's personal experiences. however, i do find personal stories interesting and since that is what forums are for i'll add my own (very personal) thoughts.

"I haven't done a ton of research on it but I trust my body and my baby to be ready if labor starts on its own, ya know!"

ok, i'll bite. i have done a ton of research on premature babies and many of them are not ready when their mom's go into labor.

i've also been wondering whether i should wait and go into labor first before i have a c/b, but have decided that it's probably safer not to. the problems from my first occured because of labor and add to that the risk of uterine rupture from a previous T cut i just don't want to take the risk.
post #58 of 58

Rh- status

I'm in the same situation, baby hasn't turned and she's 39 weeks. I've tried moxa, Webster technique, yoga (lots of down dog and cat cow) and had my first version last friday. I'm Rh neg and they gave me Rho gam before the procedure. So yes you can have a version with Rh- status! As a matter of fact I have another version scheduled for this Fri. And now I guess I'm going to find a pool! Thanks to all who have posted here its been very encouraging. :
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Planned C-section - Wait for labor or schedule?