He's had no vaccines, btw.
- topicVaccinationstagged by System, 2/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- 23andme Crack down by FDA, just what we need, more regulations! Last post on Yesterday at 9:51 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- SIL wont let my kids see her newborn Last post on Yesterday at 3:57 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Requesting a tiny bit of support... or a smack on the head Last post on Yesterday at 10:58 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Chicken Pox - My son has been excused from school Last post on 12/6/13 at 10:35am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- Chicken Pox Immunity Network on Facebook Nationwide if you are wanting to avoid the vaccination Last post on 12/4/13 at 9:50am in I'm Not Vaccinating
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesLast edited: 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsLast edited: 3/14/13
- In Britain 12-Year-Olds Vaccinated Without Parental ConsentLast edited: 3/8/13
Tetanus Risk: Immune Globulin Yes or No?post #1 of 482/9/12 at 4:54pmThread Starterpost #2 of 482/11/12 at 9:59am
Are you saying he has a blood blister ~ like under the nail? Was it a puncture or just a bruise ~ collection of blood under the nail? There needs to be a puncture of some sort for there to be a risk of Tetanus...and for the record...if there is blood present then it is doing the job of cleaning the wound. What it sounds like to me is a collection of bruising and no puncture ~ so no risk.
ET: changed "their" to "there"...sleepless night last night with DS2 who has a stomach bug...apparently impacts my ability to write correctly
Edited by lokidoki - 2/11/12 at 10:34ampost #3 of 482/11/12 at 10:16ampost #4 of 482/12/12 at 6:00ampost #5 of 482/12/12 at 9:56am
Tetanus immunoglobulin is a treatment used if an individual has already contracted tetanus, in conjunction with antibiotics. Unless the boulder was covered in feces, there's no cause for concern. Even if it was covered in feces, there's no evidence that a tetanus vaccination would prevent the disease either. Keep it clean and dry.post #6 of 482/12/12 at 11:01ampost #7 of 482/12/12 at 12:17pmpost #8 of 482/12/12 at 9:16pmpost #9 of 482/13/12 at 1:53amQuote:Originally Posted by Carise99
Tetanus immunoglobulin is a treatment used if an individual has already contracted tetanus, in conjunction with antibiotics. Unless the boulder was covered in feces, there's no cause for concern. Even if it was covered in feces, there's no evidence that a tetanus vaccination would prevent the disease either. Keep it clean and dry.
Tetanus immunoglobulin is primarily (in my professional experience) used to *prevent* tetanus after an exposure.
Crush injuries are considered a high risk injury for tetanus exposure because of the potential for bacteria to be forced deep into the tissues and not subsequently exposed to air. However, as PPs have have already said, if the skin is not broken then that isn't an issue.post #10 of 482/13/12 at 12:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by ma2two
The tetanus immune globulin does not contain thimerosal, but it is a human blood product.
According to http://www.drugs.com/ppa/tetanus-immune-globulin-tig.html, it is contraindicated for anyone who is sensitive to thimerosal.post #11 of 482/13/12 at 2:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Taximom5
According to http://www.drugs.com/ppa/tetanus-immune-globulin-tig.html, it is contraindicated for anyone who is sensitive to thimerosal.
I think drugs.com is wrong, because the package insert says it is preservative free, and doesn't mention thimerosal at all.post #12 of 482/13/12 at 3:59pmpost #13 of 482/13/12 at 6:01pmpost #14 of 482/14/12 at 4:15ampost #15 of 482/14/12 at 9:24am
I think that might be possible, but every vaccine that is made that way lists thimerosal as an ingredient, with <0.3 or 1 mcg mercury.post #16 of 482/15/12 at 5:57pm
Good info to know! My almost 5 yr old dd (unvaxed, numerous chemical/food/enviro allergies) got a hawthorne in her heel 18 months ago, and upon removal her allergist insisted on the tetanus immune globulin administered in an ER setting under 2 hour observation. The site ended up being severely infected, which we cleared up using only lavender oil. She had no reaction at all to the vax. I appreciate knowing this info, as this is the route she'll have to go in the future if anything happens.
~ Jen , mama to Truman (9), Hunter (6.5) 7 Mandie (almost 5)post #17 of 482/16/12 at 2:41ampost #18 of 482/16/12 at 6:18am
Actually, it IS a vaccine.
vaccine /vac·cine/ (vak´sēn) a suspension of attenuated or killed microorganisms (viruses, bacteria, or rickettsiae), or of antigenic proteins derived from them, administered for prevention, amelioration, or treatment of infectious diseases.post #19 of 482/16/12 at 2:55pmThread StarterI didn't realize there were any answers to my thread since I haven't been getting any updates. Sorry!
There was broken skin. It was a small cut around his fingernail...nothing punctured. His finger is STILL swollen with black spots on it (bruising?) and doesn't seem to hurt since he never mentions it. It is not red or infected looking....just swollen.post #20 of 482/17/12 at 2:39amQuote:Originally Posted by Taximom5
Actually, it IS a vaccine.
vaccine /vac·cine/ (vak´sēn) a suspension of attenuated or killed microorganisms (viruses, bacteria, or rickettsiae), or of antigenic proteins derived from them, administered for prevention, amelioration, or treatment of infectious diseases.
TIG is a suspension of antibodies. It doesn't contain C. tetani or any other micro-organism.
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › I can only be ME... Allow me to introduce myself.. 13 minutes ago
- › Diva cup insertion problems 31 minutes ago
- › advice please - dh strict & controlling attitude 32 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Do you Hula Hoop or Want to Learn? 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › DP says no presents--just coal in stockings this year! 1 hour, 43 minutes ago
- › Social anxiety disorder in 3 yo 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Into the 2nd Trimester! 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Plus Size and Pregnant 2 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Polar Express by Alyssa Eisner
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo