- topicBreastfeeding Challengestagged by System, 2/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Low supply - What helped you? Last post on 12/2/13 at 12:25pm in Breastfeeding Challenges
- Help! 6 MO DD hasn't gained in 6 weeks.... Last post on 8/30/13 at 9:04am in Breastfeeding Challenges
- Should I wean my 1 year old? Help! Last post on 8/21/13 at 8:42am in Breastfeeding
- green stool Last post on 8/6/13 at 6:05am in Breastfeeding Challenges
- FTM with breast feeding aversion...do I turn to exclusive pumping? Last post on 8/27/13 at 2:28pm in Breastfeeding Challenges
The Scars Mommy Hides
Last edited: 11/18/13
- Are You Breastfeeding an Older Child?Last edited: 9/22/13
- 25 Children's Books That Depict BreastfeedingLast edited: 8/23/13
- Saying Good-bye to BreastfeedingLast edited: 8/15/13
- 100 Inspiring Breastfeeding Stories from Our "Blog about...Last edited: 8/8/13
Very healthy ds, but can't completely satisfy baby or pump...post #1 of 42/15/12 at 1:56pmThread StarterI have a 6 wk old ds. He weighed 7 lbs 15 oz at birth. He dropped almost 10% after birth so we had to supplement at least one bottle a day. Now I would guess he is pushing 11-12 lbs so he is very very healthy. I am still having to give him at least one 2 oz bottle in the evenings because my breasts are just empty and I can't satisfy him. I have let him nurse for hours on end in the evening and this hasn't seemed to increase my supply. I have also tried pumping as the LC recommended pumping after the first morning feeding as my supply will be at it's greatest. The most i got was one ounce from each side then in the evenings my breasts are completely empty and I end up having to give ds 2 bottles. I am going to be going back to work and wanted to have a supply stocked up and I want to stop giving him formula, but I just can't produce enough for him. I have been taking fenugreek and that seems to help a little and I know when I don't drink 96 oz of water a day that I am not as full. He nurse about every 2 to 3 hours and we have had no latch problems. Looking for some advice!!!!post #2 of 42/15/12 at 2:36pm
Some pumping tricks I learned when pumping exclusively for my non nursing infants may help you.
1. Continue to pump for an additional 3-5 minutes after the flow stops. Many times you will tap into a reserve supply of milk (up to a couple of ounces) and when you this tells your body that the baby is not getting enough and it will increase supply. If you do this every time you pump it can really make a big difference.
2. Cluster pumping. A couple times a day (if you can manage) try pumping/feeding every hour, while at the same time continuing to pump those extra 3-5 minutes each time. This is especially helpful if you do it in the early morning when supply is highest.
3. Never go more than 4 hours without pumping or feeding. I used to rest from pumping only from midnight until 4 a.m.
These tricks helped me to nearly double my production. I don't know if it will help you as much as it helped me, but I hope it will increase your supply at least some.post #3 of 42/15/12 at 5:20pm
It's really common (and normal) for baby to cluster feed in the evening. It's baby's way of increasing your supply. You might want to stop the evening bottle and just feed baby at the breast ALL EVENING LONG (it seems sooooooooooo long - I used to watch DVDs to pass the time) and in a couple of days mom's supply usually matches baby's need.
Here's a good explanation: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
and http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html . ~6 weeks is a common time for a growth spurt.
Edited by PatioGardener - 2/22/12 at 4:33pmpost #4 of 42/22/12 at 3:35pm
I also had to watch movies and breastfeed all evening when by son was that age! He would just switch from boob to boob and nurse for hours around that time of day.
Don't assume, just because your breasts feel softer in the evenings, that there is no milk in there! Just because a pump isn't able to get much doesn't mean the baby can't. Why don't you try cluster feeding your son for a few evenings without the bottles and see if that helps? Right now, your boobs are making exactly the right amount of milk for a baby who has two bottles. You need to get them making exactly the right amount of milk for a baby that has no bottles, and the only way he knows how to do that is by sucking constantly on your "empty" breasts.
- Are You Breastfeeding an Older Child?
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 1 minute ago
- › December Unschooling Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Symptoms 6 minutes ago
- › present wrapping - bags, paper, or tissue paper as wrapping paper,... 13 minutes ago
- › Morning Sickness at Work 16 minutes ago
- › current sns users 19 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on age differences? 21 minutes ago
- › I hate how I'm treating my toddler since DS2 was born 22 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 25 minutes ago
- › Is anyone else's belly size fluctuating? 30 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Stephafriendly
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Vaccinations and George W Bush by Brian Leaf
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo