Any Columbus area mamas?
DH has a job offer coming in Columbus. He is from Cleveland (as are my IL's yay for me!) but hasn't lived in OH for 20 years so really, we are both going in blind. Assuming the offer comes, we are pretty much 100% sure we will take it and move from MN.
Now, here is an airing of my concerns, if anyone has thoughts on them!
1. The job will be in Granville, which I guess is like a 30 min drive outside of Columbus? So we are thinking we would like to live in an eastern suburb. New Albany seems the closest, but it seems super rich/fancy/golf course-y. Where do the hippies live? Where are the co-ops? I'm thinking not in New Albany.
2. Schools. DS4 is special needs, currently has an IEP and gets speech/OT/PT. If I just had "normal" kids I wouldnt worry so much, but we have seen firsthand that living in a "rich" district gets him way better and more services than living in a crap district. Which makes that whole New Albany thing seem appealing. OTOH, do I really want my kids going to school with people whose parents can afford an average of 400K house? Speaking of which how would we ever afford to live there?
3. Do you like the Columbus area in general? What is the good, the bad, and the ugly?
4. Are there lots of crunchy mamas? I am not super-crunchy, but basically 100% of my current friends are from the API group in the twin cities, so I am very very sad about leaving friends, and I want to make sure I can find a new community.
5. Birth. We are thinking about #3 in the very near feature. I had a lovely hosp birth with DS4 (hosp has only 12% c/s rate, I had a waterbirth, etc). HB with DD2. What is the birth climate in OH as a whole, and columbus specifically? nat-birth friendly hospitals?
TIA! I am excited about the move despite all the scary parts. I just can.not wrap my head around how we are going to ever pack up and sell our house in order to get there!