or Connect
Mothering › Groups › December 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Vaccinations


post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
The standard vaccination schedule starts at two months here, so since our babies are around this age, I'm curious, who's doing what? If you're delaying and selective vaxing, what (and when) are you giving and why?
W hasn't had anything yet. I was going to wait 6 months to start selectively, but our naturopath recommended waiting 8 months, saying babies systems don't actively creating antibodies to most diseases until then, so I think we will wait for 8 months. I haven't decided what to give though, and I have no idea as to a schedule for it.
post #2 of 19

With ds1 we knew immediately that we would at least delay/be selective.  That was 4 yrs ago (and it's his birthday today :)  Anyway, 2 more babies since and we still haven't given even 1 vaccine to any of them. The more I read, the more I lean toward not vaccinating at all. I support everyone's ability to choose, but the reality is I'm more concerned about the immune damage they can cause than the risk for the diseases.  Vaccinating isn't 100% security anyway, so why risk the negative outcomes when you can focus on building the healthiest immune system possible?

post #3 of 19
After extensive research, I've decided that the risk of a reaction (mild) or serious complication (extremely low) does not outweigh the risk of insufficient immunization, for me. We're following the standard vax schedule, minus flu shots and varicella, which I think are asinine. XD

I did deliberate on a delayed schedule as well as selective vax, but after looking into it I just could not justify it in my own mind.

But I think I'm not supposed to say that on this forum. >.>
post #4 of 19

I'll one-up you aeterna, how's that? :)  


It's probably not surprising, but I'll follow the recommended schedule.  And I have no problem with flu or varicella vaccines either (I certainly don't think they're asinine); although I would agree that there is a weaker argument for a universal vax policy for them .  I love vaccines and think they are among the most amazing of human inventions.  :)  


And our babies are already making antibodies.  Their immune systems are still maturing, yes; but there is still a strong response to antigens at this age.  They can actually begin producing antibodies in utero if the mother passes on some antigen.



post #5 of 19

We're planning to vaccinate on schedule but also playing it by ear. DD1 had a reaction to her shots that public health said "It's a coincidence that it started that day, it had nothing to do with the vaccine." If DD2 starts having screaming episodes like DD1 did, I'll delay her shots like I did with DD1 after that. 


I haven't done extensive research but I did read up a lot,especially after DD1's reaction. My conclusion was that there is so much conflicting information out there that there's no way to make heads or tails of it. I don't believe the more dire stuff people say about vaccines but I don't believe public health is being totally honest about the risks, either... how would they even know about reactions like what DD1 had if everyone who reported it got dismissed like I did?


The whooping cough is going around here, and I think that's one of the things in the vaccine she'll get later this month,

post #6 of 19

We do them as scheduled also....we did do our own research before making a decision with DS1 though.

post #7 of 19

We aren't following the CDC's schedule, but are vaccinating.  For this baby, we haven't done the Hep B or the rotovirus.  At 2 months, he got his Dtap and at 3 months his HIB.  We'll be doing 1 vaccine a month until he's about a year.  I'll do the MMR after he's 2.  I'm afraid to vax and I'm also afraid not to vax.  It's a wonderful conundrum.  

post #8 of 19

Azadehhast- are you familiar with the Dr Sears books?  They have one on vaccines, and I know there's an alternative schedule there worth checking into.  It might be on their website too?  www.askdrsears.com 

post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 

I have heard of Dr Sears' book, and yes, I'll definitely have to pick it up soon as I start looking into the individual vaccines.

I agree, I'm afraid to do it and afraid not to! I don't think we'll have any major reactions, but I also don't want to bombard his developing little systems all at once. I actually haven't even looked at the schedule yet, but I like the idea of spacing them out. Guess its time to start reading and make some decisions.

post #10 of 19

We'll also be vaxing on schedule. DD was vaxed on schedule and we never had any issues. We didn't have her vaxed in the hospital after she was born and DS was born at home so obviously he didn't get any shots at birth either. DS's first well-baby check-up is March 1st so he'll be 3 months by then. The FP we see is cool with delayed, selective, and non-vaxing and even though we're vaxing on schedule, it's nice to know that he's open and willing to let us decide for ourselves instead of pressuring us to vaccinate.

post #11 of 19
I have had nothing but bad luck with flu shots (although to be fair I react oddly to several types of medications, which is why I'm usually so adverse to taking any meds at all).... If I get a flu shot I'm down for days. If I don't I never get the flu. >.< and the varicella... You're right, of course, cwill. I just think the risk/reward ratio dumps that one in the "not worth it" column for me.

We didn't get any vax at the hospital, but he got his hep B when he was about to start daycare. The scary thing about people relying on herd immunity to not vax their kids is that *I* can no longer rely on herd immunity to protect mine. If a kid falls and splits his lip at daycare, and they share a sippy cup while the adult has their hands full with another child, what am I supposed to do? Call that mother and ask if she vaccinated her kid? =/

I just don't want to take any unnecessary chances.
post #12 of 19

I used to react badly to shots when I was younger, and would spend a full 24 hours in bed feeling feverish and practically comotose after each one, so that factored into our decisions-- I don't like the idea of baby girl being uncomfortable and not being able to tell us about it (yes she can cry, but we're not going to be able to really truly pinpoint what it is). 


The schedule here, is nothing at birth, a 2, 4, 6 and 15 months they get prevnar 13, and pentacel- which is tetanus, diptheria, pertussis, polio and Hib. At 12m they also get MMR and one other one, I don't remember which. 


We are exclusively breastfeeding, and DD will not enter a daycare setting until at -least- a year, and even then it will probably be family if she does go. 


For now, we have decided to decline/delay all shots. I highly second the recommendation for the sears vaccine book-- it laid everything out really well, without scare tactics to get you to do the shots. I decided after reading it that for the two shots planned for two months, the only diseases I felt were enough of a concern to vaccinate against were the pneumococcal (prevnar) and pertussis. They do not make a pertussis only vaccine, the simplest you can get is the Dtap or Tdap. We researched and searched our hearts and decided that the pertussis risk was not high enough for us to vaccinate her against these other illnesses needlessly. If there were a pertussis only, we would have given it. 


I feel that the pneumococcal illnesses were a valid concern, and in theory, I want her to get the Prevnar-- however, I've heard so many concerns lately with reactions to that shot, so while she will get it eventually, we're holding out for now until I feel better about it. I just couldn't make myself comfortable with it at her age, and so I'm trusting my mama gut. She will probably start this series at 6m. 


MMR will be declined until she's at least school age. Varicella until puberty. She will not get a flu vaccine. I also will not give her the HPV. We will probably give tetanus around age 2-3, when I feel like she's more at risk for it. 


DH and I enjoy carribean vacations, so next time we decide to do one, we will get her hep A/B (hep b isn't on our schedule until a few years down the road in this province). At that time we will also re-evaluate the other vaccines based on where we decide to go. 


For me, it just came down to not feeling confident that the risks-- based on known 'normal' side effects, as well as uncommon cases-- and the ingredients in the vaccines, were worth it, considering the severity, and prevalence of some of the diseases that she would typically receive vaccines for. I feel that -at this age- she's too young and vulnerable to be injecting her body with something that did not come naturally to her. 

post #13 of 19
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

After extensive research ..... ..... 
...... ..... But I think I'm not supposed to say that on this forum. >.>

Oh and I wanted to say, as long as you've done the research and come to the conclusions that work best for your own family, then moon.gif to anyone who says you can't talk about it on this forum. All you can ask of any mama is that she does her research and doesn't make decisions blindly. 

post #14 of 19
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post


We are exclusively breastfeeding, and DD will not enter a daycare setting until at -least- a year, and even then it will probably be family if she does go. 



Yes, since my children have never been in daycare or preschool, I feel more comfortable forgoing vaccinations.  At least for now :)  

post #15 of 19
Originally Posted by AshleeS View Post


Yes, since my children have never been in daycare or preschool, I feel more comfortable forgoing vaccinations.  At least for now :)  

Yeah, I think if we were in a controlled environment, I'd feel more comfortable. Limited access to illness would reasonably limit the need for antibodies against illnesses. But as much as I'd like to, I can't control his environment enough for him to be safe and unvaccinated.
post #16 of 19

This issue is split. My personal opinion is that parents should research and make the decision that best fits each individual family.  One size does not fit all.


We don't vaccinate, and this forum is one of the few places (IRL or online) where I can expect to share our choice and likely not come under attack.  I breastfeed on demand, exclusively for the first 6 months to one year, and continue breastfeeding heavily throughout the first two years and beyond.  The antibodies supplied through my breast milk offer protection during the first two years.


My oldest dd received all recommended vaccines until she was 9 months old, when I started reading on my own.  DP and I have many issues with the current vaccine schedule, both short-term and long-term reactions associated with vaccines, and the effectiveness of the vaccines.    We first decided to delay for the first 2 years while the breastfeeding relationship provided an immune system boost.   We have since decided to decline all vaccines for our children.  Our oldest DD is our only child who has received vaccines.


My oldest dd is also our only child with sensory issues so far  -- .and the only member of either DP's or my families to have sensory issues, and I do not know whether this is related to the vaccines she received or she is just the first child in our family to develop these symptoms naturally.  DD's sensory issues make life complicated both for our family and for DD, and I don't consider the types of struggles that families like ours suffer to be mild. 

post #17 of 19
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

This issue is split. My personal opinion is that parents should research and make the decision that best fits each individual family.  One size does not fit all.


yeahthat.gif There is no one size fits all - that is for sure! I nrelation to many things not just vaxing

post #18 of 19

I do feel some social responsibility with regards to vaccinations.  But I also feel that the burden of maintaining "herd immunity" should fall to the adults not small children with new and developing systems.  Our compromise has been to delay (at least until age 5) and then vaccinate selectively.

post #19 of 19

We vaccinate on schedule minus flu shot.

Mothering › Groups › December 2011 Birth Club › Discussions › Vaccinations