My two younger children are not vaccinated and we've always been a tiny bit worried about it, because my husband (33) has never had it and I've read it can be much more severe in adults. The youngest are 3 and 6, so I have some time before I really start asking myself this question, but looking forward, I'm wondering if there is an age that anyone else will vax if their child has not naturally acquired the disease yet. I'm not particularly concerned with rare complications but with the possibility of the illness being severe in say, a tween or teenager.
- topicDelayed Vaccinationtagged by System, 2/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone do Hib vaccine but NOT Prevnar? Last post on Today at 11:33 am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- If you are Selectivly chosing NOT to vaccinate for Chicken Pox...There is a National FB group... Last post on Today at 9:56 am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- DTaP Scheduled: Nervous Last post on 11/30/13 at 2:09pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- non/selective vax friendly doctor Last post on 11/30/13 at 4:23am in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Routine Hospital Shots for Newborns (VITAMIN K and HEPB)....HELP! Last post on 11/20/13 at 12:46pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
My Vaccine Info
Last edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 2/24/13
- Vaccination BooklistLast edited: 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelLast edited: 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USLast edited: 1/18/13
Is there an age you would vax for chickenpox?post #1 of 62/17/12 at 8:28amThread Starterpost #2 of 62/24/12 at 7:28pmpost #3 of 63/2/12 at 11:25am
Personally, I would choose to vaccinate them at the CDC recommended intervals. Chicken pox may seem harmless, but I have personally seen it be otherwise.
When I was just shy of 2 years old, I contracted chicken pox. I don't remember anything about it, but there are pictures of me covered head to toe in the most extreme case of chicken pox I have ever witnessed and all of my family members still remember how horrible it was at the time and how miserable I was. My four siblings, parents, and other family members have all had chicken pox and there was not a family history of complications with it.
Now, nearly 30 years later, I still have horrendous scars on my abdomen and chest from the chicken pox. If that was the only problem with the virus, then so be it. However, it wasn't. Since that experience with chicken pox, I have had shingles 7 times. The first case was when I was 8 years old and required a week-long hospitalization due to complications. Over the years, the chicken pox virus and subsequent shingles has caused me nerve damage, excruciating pain, plenty of money due to medical bills, and I've lost many days of work and school. I've also had issues with recurrent silver dollar sized cankers that are also caused by a virus in the same family.
I would never choose to not vaccinate a child for chicken pox. It may seem harmless--but it's not. I would much rather risk the extremely rare possibility of a side effect from a vaccine than subject my child to chicken pox.post #4 of 63/2/12 at 6:02pm
I went to a pox party with my sister when I was about 7 and she was 4, my sister has a cp scar on her forehead, which is my mother's only regret for purposely exposing us (before vax existed).
I haven't really decided where I stand between purposeful exposure vs. let's wait and see... I think if you wait long enough into the teen years, your kids can/should give their input, it becomes more their decision.
We live in a country where it is mostly not vaccinated for still. I was exposed to chicken pox during my pregnancy, someone living in our house (adult - who it was no big deal for - didn't even really realize what he had for several days!)... so was glad for the natural immunity.post #5 of 63/3/12 at 7:54pm
If my kids haven't gotten chicken pox by 8 or 10 I will. I really want them to get chicken pox. I never did and I was supposed to get a booster before I got pregnant again. Yeah that didn't happen and now I'm terrified I'm going to catch chicken pox while I'm pregnant. I really want to spare my kids that.post #6 of 63/15/12 at 2:54pm
The teen years- my first two were vaxed as toddlers (and at the time the promise was it would be a shot deal), Well, now the vax immunity appears to wear off. Plus, my now 10 yr old got it about a year after the vax (confirmed). So the vax didn't even work for him-although now he DOES have lifelong immunity. The youngest will get vaxed in his early teens if he hasn't been able to get it by then.
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- The Beaver Moon 3 minutes ago
- › Spring IVF 2013 6 minutes ago
- › Home Schooling a child with Autism or other special needs? 13 minutes ago
- › 52 Project Challenge, 2013 16 minutes ago
- › What is your word for nursing? 23 minutes ago
- › Is this possibly a triphasic chart? 24 minutes ago
- › Morning Sickness at Work 24 minutes ago
- › Need a little reassurance...and honest thoughts! 26 minutes ago
- › December Chat 28 minutes ago
- › Trying to figure this charting thing out:) 33 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Stephafriendly
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Vaccinations and George W Bush by Brian Leaf
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013! by Melanie Mayo
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo