Hi ladies again!
I would like to have your opinion on this.
so, I am close to 38 weeks. At my last MW visit, she had a clinical suspicion of polyhydramnios. Mainly by palpation (baby hard to find), and also because of a big jump in my fundal height. I was at 38cm at the 36 weeks visit. and this week (1 week later) I was at 45cm.
i also developed a lot of stretch marks during the last weeks, so I think my belly grew rapidly.
now, to develop polyhydramnios late in pregnancy, it is usually idiopatic (foetal malformations unlikely, since it only started now). I don't have diabetes.
she suggested an U/S. I accepted, but reluctantly (and told her about it).
first, U/S are not very accurate at evaluating amniotic fluid volume. they have poor predictive value. but it,s the only non invasive test available. It uses AFI. If my AFI is less then 25, I guess we will go with home birth. if it is more, we have to see.
I think it's a little sad, since these values of AFI are poorly correlated with the real volume: So the decision of HB vs no HB will be arbitrary.
although there is increased risk of obstetrical complications at birth with polyhydramnios, they pretty rare with an idiopatic one.
of course, just thinking about these complications made me cry for 48hrs: cord prolapse, placenta abruptio and possible malformations that baby has.
after being stressed for 48hrs, I tried to relax and remain objective.
I realized that we are trying to diagnose a self-resolving problem that has no treatment.
what is the purpose of diagnosing something that has no treatment? and that will go away with birth? other then causing anxiety......
c-section/induction are not indicated for polyhydramnios. removing fluid at this stage of pregnancy is not indicated.
so I am wondering if I should do the U/S. It is scheduled for this Wednesday.
my other ''problem'' with U/S is the possibility to find other stuff that is really not there: like a too big baby (my first was close to 10 pounds, so this U/S could show an 11 pound baby, while really he is only 10), which will influence my midwifes decisions about transfer if slow labor progress (but we openly discussed this, and they said they will not look at the U/S weight....still, they will have difficulty ignoring it I think).
same with the BPP: if baby is sleeping,and doesn't move, and scores badly on it, I will have to have more tests/interventions for nothing.
This is not objective, but I feel my baby is completely fine, and birth will be fine too. I have no doubt about it. he is moving, well positioned , head already engaged in pelvis etc....
Oh, and with my first baby, my OBGYN also wanted to R/O polyhydramnios at 33 weeks, and I had U/S then, of course, everything was normal. But i wasn't stressed then like this time, because I was planning a hospital birth anyway.
also, for this pregnancy, I had the routine 20 week morphology U/S, and all was normal.
So, would you go to the Wednesday U/S?