- 511 Posts. Joined 9/2009
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Stress reaction may help vaccines work better Last post on 5/20/13 at 12:56pm in Mindful Vaccination
- URGENT- Oregon bill to end religious exemption--- X-posted Last post on 5/14/13 at 11:15am in Mindful Vaccination
- Six reasons not to be scared of vaccines Last post on 5/19/13 at 9:54pm in Mindful Vaccination
- MMR and Measles in South Wales Last post on 4/19/13 at 9:12am in Mindful Vaccination
- MMR experiences or measles only Last post on 4/7/13 at 11:36am in Mindful Vaccination
Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?
Edited on 2/24/13
- Vaccination BooklistEdited on 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelEdited on 6/27/11
- Vaccine Exemption Information for All 50 States In The USEdited on 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsEdited on 3/14/13
Local Reaction from DTaPpost #1 of 52/18/12 at 4:37pmThread StarterOk, so we do our own thing with vaccination as I think many of you do. So, my experience is thus somewhat limited. Has anyone else's child had a huge lump after getting a vaccination? it is so huge, probably about 3-4 inches in diameter. It is red, warm to touch and hard. It is protruding out from her leg and looks just awful. Stupidly, I just spent 20 minutes looking for the spider that bit her. Then I remembered, oh yes, that shot was yesterday. My pediatrician says local reactions are common and recommends applying warm compresses. Thoughts? This is only her 2nd shot total and she is almost 17 mos.post #2 of 52/18/12 at 4:53pm
Yes, my son had that. He spent the next 8 months sick - on antibiotic after antibiotic, in and out of the doctor's office, trying to figure out why he couldn't stop coughing and why his digestive system was so messed up. At one point his doctor thought he had pertussis, but he tested negative.
I have read that reactions are more likely with subsequent doses of DTaP - my son had 4 doses without incident and then reacted to the 5th. So please consider that if you choose to get your daughter DTaP again.
I know they say these reactions are "normal", but I don't believe that means they are harmless, personally, and the reactions we don't see worry me.post #3 of 52/19/12 at 5:10amThread Starterpost #4 of 52/19/12 at 8:11amQuote:
He did eventually stop coughing in February, after getting the vaccine in early July and getting sick the week after the shot. His digestive system was still all messed up, and it looked on xray like his intestines were inflamed from all the coughing. I cut out dairy and there was an improvement, but he tested negative for all allergies on a blood test. After trialing back in dairy, I noticed a pattern and thought maybe it was lactose intolerance. That solved the problem completely - he can eat all the dairy he wants with Lactaid pills. :) Again, this is not a problem he had before the shot.
And again, I'm sure many will say that it was just a coincidence, but his pediatrician agrees that it was probably from the vaccine!post #5 of 52/19/12 at 9:55am
I have had this reaction myself, on 4 different occasions (but with different doctors). After the second time with the same doctor, I was told by that doctor not to get shots any more.
In all cases, there were other complications concurrent with the swelling. With the flu shot, it was severe upper respiratory problems .I had NEVER had problems before, and suddenly found myself with asthma, bronchitis, and, the second time, pleurisy. In both cases, I had grapefruit-sized, hot red lumps at the injection site.
In a previous case, I had 4 multi-vaccines at once (two of which caused only orange-sized, hot, red lumps), and had some major autoimmune issues beginning within days of the vaccines. One of those issues was celiac, which the rheumatologist said can be triggered by vaccines.
- Local Reaction from DTaP
- Vaccination Booklist
- › Caring for Older Kids 1 minute ago
- › "I'm in labor!" thread - May 2013 DDC 1 minute ago
- › is this positive (CD 14) 2 minutes ago
- › genetic testing 3 minutes ago
- › Signs of Impending Labor - chat thread 3 minutes ago
- › Tetanis help - pic 4 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 8 minutes ago
- › 8 week Healthy Weight Loss Challenge version 9.0 (enrolling through... 12 minutes ago
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 14 minutes ago
- › How many TOTAL months have you breastfed? 15 minutes ago
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › Medela Pump and Save Storage Bags- 20-count by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by KaliShanti
- › Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump by KaliShanti
- › Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottles by KaliShanti
- › Gilligan & O'Malley® Womens Full Sling Long Nursing Tank by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by VKHarberRYT
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo