I'm planning on getting a Diva cup and wondering how I need to clean it. Do I need to buy that special Diva Cup cleaning wash?
- categoryNatural Body Caretagged by System, 2/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone else use a sea sponge during menstruation? Last post on Yesterday at 10:52 am in Natural Body Care
- EASY homemade mama cloth Last post on 4/14/14 at 7:51am in Natural Body Care
- Vinegar in laundry Last post on 4/14/14 at 8:29am in Natural Body Care
- Dready Mamas 2014 Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:10pm in Natural Body Care
- Question about periods and insulin Last post on 3/14/14 at 7:37pm in Natural Body Care
cleaning the Diva Cup
I've had mine 13 years (well, i've had 3 in that time, a keeper which i eventually became allergic to, a diva cup that wasn't rubber and now a mooncup for my post-baby-ness) and do similar. They really don't take much cleaning.
I'm about to order my first Diva Cup and had a washing question. I was looking at the diva cup website, getting tips on using, and read a long list of things not to use to wash. It said to only use a mild unscented water based oil free soap. My sister says she just uses a castille soap but I read that could damage the silicone. Where can I find a water based soap? Or is their long list of "do not use this" just covering their own butt's? Has anyone had issues with just washing them with a mild soap? Thanks?
Naturalmama4 - castille soap could potential damage the silicone over time. However, I've never met a single woman who has had issues with silicone degradation due to castille soap usage. I'd say if you are rinsing the soap off thoroughly and keep an eye out for any signs of damage (and replace the cup immediately if damaged) you'll be fine. I usually just wash my silicone cup with whatever hand soap I have around (including Dr. Bronner's).
Hope that helps!
I've had the same Dva Cup since 2004 and I've gone from boiling it before and after each AF to just using hot water and Bronner's Baby Mild before, during, and after. WE have really hard water and the iron has turned it an ugly orange, but it's otherwise perfect. I'm tempted to get one of the new pretty colored ones but the whole point of getting it in the first place was to reduce cunsumption so I'm holding off until it either cracks or we hit the 15yr mark.
I noticed a lot of changes to the Dos and Don'ts after the FDA stuck their noses in a few years back. Don't stress too much about it, hot water and castile soap have worked fine for me.
- › Family dies of Diphtheria! 1 minute ago
- › age appropriate expectations for 4 and 7yo to clean up after... 1 minute ago
- › Why Is Jenny McCarthy Dangerous? 3 minutes ago
- › CNN: US Autism Rate Surges--AGAIN 7 minutes ago
- › Questions about different types of therapy. 14 minutes ago
- › Finding the right amount of structure 16 minutes ago
- › How did you find out about Mothering and decide to join? 17 minutes ago
- › 2nd hand dipes & what about those ones you fold and pin? 18 minutes ago
- › In the hospital 19 minutes ago
- › Misgivings anyone? 20 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool
- › Mayim Bialik Opens Up About Her Breastfeeding... by Melanie Mayo
- › Freedom Together: Mothering Mavens Try Out... by Melanie Mayo