or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Butter Oil

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

My family has purchased Green Pastures' Fermented Cod Liver Oil for a while now, and are interested in adding Butter Oil to our repertoire. Buying the FCLO/BO Blend from Green Pastures is hardly economical for us (we would have to buy about 3 jars of that a month,) so I am planning to buy the FCLO and BO separately. I was planning on sticking to Green Pastures, but also found NutraProInternational's BO (which is a lot less expensive). Would you say that NutraPro's product is equivalent nutritionally to Green Pastures'? I'm not sure, because NutraPro mentions using the BO for cooking, and I haven't heard of the brand before.

 

post #2 of 31

I realize that the account I used to post this thread was the wrong account (I have two by accident, didn't realize I'd registered)! Just commenting so I can follow on the right one.

post #3 of 31

I came here to ask this very question!

 

Anyone?
 

post #4 of 31

Butter oil and ghee are the same thing... If it's grass-fed and harvested in the fall and spring from fresh green grass, it's high vitamin butter oil.

post #5 of 31

I started with Green Pasture's Butter Oil and FCLO but we've since stopped buying the Green Pastures and now just make our own.  My kids hated the taste of the raw from GP so I couldn't get them to take them.  The liquid is much more potent than the capsules (of both FCLO and BO), and if you compare the labels, it takes many, many more capsules than the "dosage" to equal a serving of the liquid.  So I have local, raw, grassfed butter from a local farmer and I make my own butter oil.  The Healthy Home Economist has a really good video tutorial I used to make mine.  Best part?  My kids will take it now with a little raw, local honey.  We used the FCLO/BO combo plus xylitol to heal major caries in my 2 year old's mouth, preventing massive surgery he *was* scheduled for, so I highly recommend it!!

 

I'd say make some!  I think the GP may be slightly better and more potent, but if it comes down to it, better to have second best than none at all!  winky.gif

post #6 of 31

Thandiwe- can you describe more what your doing with your 2 yr old to stop the caries? i've been dealing with cavities in my 4 yr old since she was 12mo and haven't had any luck and am now just newly discovering the use of FCLO/BO to help with healing caries. are you using the Green Pastures FCLO in conjunction with your homemade BO? what about diet? 

post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth144 View Post

Thandiwe- can you describe more what your doing with your 2 yr old to stop the caries? i've been dealing with cavities in my 4 yr old since she was 12mo and haven't had any luck and am now just newly discovering the use of FCLO/BO to help with healing caries. are you using the Green Pastures FCLO in conjunction with your homemade BO? what about diet? 

 Absolutely!  I'll pm you so as not to hijack the thread!  winky.gif

post #8 of 31

I have tried Nutrapro's BO, it tasted very good, but I am just not sure about the company like you said, they are new, and how do I know what I am really getting?  There is no in depth nutrient analysis, and I cant afford to buy something so expensive if its not the real deal.  I didnt notice any changes in our health while taking it, so we just used up our jar and thats all.  I havent bought more.  If I saw that this is the real deal then I'd probably try it again, I am just unsure about it.  But like I said, it tasted great, very buttery.  I just wish I knew more.

post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

I have tried Nutrapro's BO, it tasted very good, but I am just not sure about the company like you said, they are new, and how do I know what I am really getting?  There is no in depth nutrient analysis, and I cant afford to buy something so expensive if its not the real deal.  I didnt notice any changes in our health while taking it, so we just used up our jar and thats all.  I havent bought more.  If I saw that this is the real deal then I'd probably try it again, I am just unsure about it.  But like I said, it tasted great, very buttery.  I just wish I knew more.

I would be concerned if it tasted good.  Butter oil is actual quite gross; the dairy protein is reduced out of it, so it's just the oil.  We gag to take it, home made or Green Pastures.  GP is raw and organic plus grassfed (of course, their own claims), so it's actually a more potent taste.  We thought we could use it like butter on rice cakes, etc, to get it down but the kids just couldn't do it.  The only way to do it is put it on a spoon with some local raw honey and force it down.  Check out Weston Price's research on butter oil together with FCLO.  It was found to increase the absorption of the FCLO nutrients when taken at the same time.  As for actual studies, I haven't seen any but I haven't looked.  smile.gif

post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandiwe View Post

I would be concerned if it tasted good.  Butter oil is actual quite gross; the dairy protein is reduced out of it, so it's just the oil.  We gag to take it, home made or Green Pastures.  GP is raw and organic plus grassfed (of course, their own claims), so it's actually a more potent taste.  We thought we could use it like butter on rice cakes, etc, to get it down but the kids just couldn't do it.  The only way to do it is put it on a spoon with some local raw honey and force it down.  Check out Weston Price's research on butter oil together with FCLO.  It was found to increase the absorption of the FCLO nutrients when taken at the same time.  As for actual studies, I haven't seen any but I haven't looked.  smile.gif

When you make it yourself it tastes bad as well?  The Nutrapro stuff has a nice, strong buttery flavor, it tastes a lot like ghee, but is liquid at about 75 degrees.  It is a bright yellow color, also very similar in color to ghee.  I have heard that GP's BO is nasty, but some have said its probably because its rancid and not fresh, and that the Nutrapro must be fresh and all that because of its good taste.   Guess I'm glad I havent bought more than 1 jar!   I know what Price's research showed about BO working together with FCLO, and I do wish I could afford to take it, we just have a hard time doing that.

post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

When you make it yourself it tastes bad as well?  The Nutrapro stuff has a nice, strong buttery flavor, it tastes a lot like ghee, but is liquid at about 75 degrees.  It is a bright yellow color, also very similar in color to ghee.  I have heard that GP's BO is nasty, but some have said its probably because its rancid and not fresh, and that the Nutrapro must be fresh and all that because of its good taste.   Guess I'm glad I havent bought more than 1 jar!   I know what Price's research showed about BO working together with FCLO, and I do wish I could afford to take it, we just have a hard time doing that.


It does still taste gross home made.  Ours is reasonably liquid but thicker and our house right now is about 70-72 degrees.  We can't afford to buy the high vite butter oil, so I make our own.  It's really quite easy to do and so much cheaper!  The key is to start out with good quality butter.  For us, we were able to get access to local, grass-fed butter from a raw dairy farmer.  I took a pound and made the oil and we are using that after our one jar of GP BO is gone.  It's a nice yellow color, very similar to GP when I put them side by side.  For other sources of K2, hard aged cheeses are actually more potent that butter oil, according to several sources I read.  You're supposed to eat a couple Tbps of fresh grated aged cheeses like parm (buy a wedge and fresh grate over salad or veggies, etc).  I was relieved to read that, because we always keep a wedge of good aged parm in the fridge for salads.

post #12 of 31

Awesome about the parm cheese!  I love to eat the crust of the wedges, and we use it grated all the time,  so thats not a prob here:)   Thats so good to know!

Now I am really curious about the Nutrapro BO though......   If its not really BO, then what is it??

post #13 of 31

Just curious...

Why would it be necessary to take good grassfed, raw butter and heat it and clarify it to make it more "healthy"? 

I can understand if you are allergic to the milk proteins and need to filter that out, but if you can just eat the raw butter, why not?

 

By the way, Green Pastures butter oil is not raw.  At least not legally, and according to their website.

post #14 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bantams View Post

Just curious...

Why would it be necessary to take good grassfed, raw butter and heat it and clarify it to make it more "healthy"? 

I can understand if you are allergic to the milk proteins and need to filter that out, but if you can just eat the raw butter, why not?

 

By the way, Green Pastures butter oil is not raw.  At least not legally, and according to their website.

I've wondered the same thing myself.  I've read that it does not impact the nutritional value because the vitamins are not affected by heat?  Anyway, I am just not convinced on the whole thing, and I think that pastured butter is just fine.  We use pastured butter and ghee for cooking (made from pasturized cream of course! irked.gif) and I think thats what we are going to stick with for now.

By law, could GP's butter oil even be from raw milk?  I'm not sure why raw milk cheese is legal (I'm very glad that it is though!) and raw milk is not legal(in many states), and I dont know if cheese is the only product thats legal to be raw or if other products can be from raw milk too?  Anyone know how this works?  Just out of curiosity

post #15 of 31

The most confusing part about raw dairy regulations is the difference between federal and state regulations.

Cheese falls under federal regs.

Fresh dairy - milk, cream, butter, etc - falls under both federal and state regs.

 

By law, all cheese must be made from pasteurized milk, UNLESS it has been aged 60 days or more.  It does not matter which state it is produced in.  Imported cheese must also follow these guidelines.

 

Only pasteurized milk can cross state lines, unless it is being transported to a processing plant where will it will be pasteurized.  This regulation prevents raw milk for retail sale or any other raw dairy product (except cheese) to cross state lines. Raw milk and other raw dairy products cannot be shipped.


Looking at other state guidelines, other fresh raw dairy products are sometimes allowed - cream, buttermilk, butter, etc.  But that depends on the state. 

 

So...  Green Pastures butter oil is either not raw (I don't see how it can be) or they are shipping it against the law. 

post #16 of 31

Alright thanks for that explanation :) 

post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantams View Post

Just curious...

Why would it be necessary to take good grassfed, raw butter and heat it and clarify it to make it more "healthy"? 

I can understand if you are allergic to the milk proteins and need to filter that out, but if you can just eat the raw butter, why not?

It is believed that HVBO is 8x more potent in K2 than butter alone, since you're reducing out the excess proteins and particles that take up space but do not occupy K2.  Condensing it makes it more bang for the buck.  Therefore, swallowing a tsp of HVBO is going to pack more K2 than swallowing a plain tsp of butter.  There's no harm taking it, and I've noticed considerable improvement in our situation.  Perhaps not necessary, but no harm in doing so. 

 

http://www.holistickid.com/do-you-need-high-butter-vitamin-oil-to-get-enough-vitamin-k2/

post #18 of 31
post #19 of 31

... or you could just eat 8 Tbsp of butter!  eat.gif

post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

... or you could just eat 8 Tbsp of butter!  eat.gif


I love butter!  But not that much, lol! puke.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods