Thanks Smithie- Sometimes everything just feels bad with this system.
Related Forum Threads
- My adopted son went back to his bio family. Last post on 5/23/13 at 1:37pm in Adoptive and Foster Parenting
- Looking for book ideas for children, what are your kids favorites? Last post on 4/7/13 at 6:43pm in Adoptive and Foster Parenting
- not related to us so much, but adoption and where adopted babies come from Last post on 2/22/13 at 4:15pm in March 2013 Due Date Club
- Nursing an adopted infant Last post on 3/15/13 at 10:55pm in Adoptive and Foster Parenting
- Trying to Adopt/Foster 2013 Chat Thread. Last post on Yesterday at 7:36 pm in Adoptive and Foster Parenting
Talking About Adoption...Honestly
Edited on 11/7/12
- Transracial adoptionEdited on 4/4/13
- Adoption And Foster Parenting ResourcesEdited on 1/29/12
TTA (trying to adopt) Chat Thread - Page 4post #62 of 2616/13/12 at 9:37amQuote:Originally Posted by excitedtobeamom
We were told that we could always say no to a potential match so we left things a bit open and just thought and talked through each situation we were presented with. We ended up saying yes to 4 situations before we were matched with our son. In the other 4 situations they picked a different family He ended up being completely healthy with no risk factors. All the time and thought about different situations and then our son was the easy one. Our agency would call and say here is the situation can we present you. The training really helped us actually understand the checklist better and we became more open.
This is what I was leaning toward. A lot of the questions, I thought to myself, we dont know enough about that to say yes or no. For instance, I understand that HIV is more like a chronic illness than a death sentence. I think I could live with that. Disabilities that restrict mobility would not be a good match for us as we live in a 3 floor townhouse, in a small mountain town. So I think we would like to take it case by case.post #63 of 2616/13/12 at 8:05pmpost #64 of 2616/13/12 at 8:05pmpost #65 of 2616/15/12 at 12:52pm
Hi Everyone, I have decided to join you all!
After 2+ years of TTC, hubby and I are now TTAdopt! We are doing the fost-to-adopt thing as I know some of you are. We are getting the house ready for our state inspection (In CA) which should happen by the second week of July. I've heard the horror stories and I've also heard the good stories as well, so I am trying to be cautiously excited about welcoming a new child into our home.post #66 of 2616/17/12 at 5:54pm
I'd like to join you all!!!! I've been quietly following along for a few days now and figured I should introduce myself. DH and I tried on our own for maybe a year and then moved onto ART. After 3 IUI's we finally got pregnant w/ twin boys, but went into pre-term labor at 22.5 wks and they were born perfect, but peacefully asleep. We tried 3 more IUI's w/ the same protocol once we were ready w/ no luck and then moved on to IVF. Our first IVF we got a BFP which resulted in a m/c at about 10-11 wks and then we did 5 more IVF's (fresh/frozen) w/ no luck. We are now trying to figure out if we are just not ment to have children or if we should travel down the adoption route. So, I just figured this would be a good place to be to learn a little more from all of you that are going through the process.
post #67 of 2616/17/12 at 9:44pm
Welcome to the thread ladies.
We have just started the process for domestic adoption. On Friday we are attending our agency's adoption seminar, as required by provincial law. We are just about done the application, and we will be mailing it in tomorrow. After these 2 things, we will be waiting for the home study. I hope we have the home study done by fall, because as soon as that's done we will be on the list.
I also just wrapped up some counseling to help deal with grieving the infertility and losses I had. I think its very cathartic to do as adoption is not a cure for infertility. I
I will let you all know how Friday goes when I return.post #68 of 2616/18/12 at 9:44am
For those that are starting out or unsure that this is the right path I found this blog had many helpful questions to ask yourself.post #69 of 2616/18/12 at 10:05ampost #70 of 2616/19/12 at 11:56am
Blueyezz4 - It looks like you have gone through so much! I know that roller coaster is tough; I think you are right about reconsidering your options at this point.
Deborah - I've been following a bit of your saga in the IF one thread - I never posted but always lurked. :) I've never been able to make the decision for ART so I never felt right about joining that thread despite my infertility.
AFM - we are done all of our paperwork and classes - we are just waiting on the state and the county to come do inspections. I have already been waiting 2 months for the state - they state on the application that it will be within 30 days. LOL - why even write that on the application. I was told currently there are 1200 kids without beds in foster care in Los Angeles - yet they won't hire extra bodies to get through the paperwork. It is totally crazy.post #71 of 2616/23/12 at 7:39pm
We filled out all our paperwork this week!!! All we have left to do is go get fingerprinted, get our stuff notarized, and then make the call with the adoption specialist so she can come do an in home visit and schedule our PRIDE classes and official homestudy!!!! I am so excited that this is actually happening!post #72 of 2616/24/12 at 10:07am
Rochelle! I am going to be quite jealous when I see how quickly your application process goes! Everything is slower in California. I am excited for you, though and I am going to be happy to have someone to compare notes with on how things work for this journey.
Even though we aren't schedule for our inspection yet, we set up the crib yesterday. We are putting together a couple of ikea dressers today. That is the only furniture we are required to have for our state inspection. The rest is all safety stuff - locking up meds and knives and having smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.post #73 of 2616/25/12 at 5:05pm
PoorUglyHappy- Hi. Blue- Hi to you too. I'm going to my CORE training in July to be a Foster Family Helper. We aren't quite at the point of pursuing adoption yet, but I felt/feel like helping out in the foster care system is a good way to honor my boys.post #74 of 2616/26/12 at 12:03pm
We have complete the workshop and our application. Now we have started building our profile to give to the agency. I have been looking at samples online to get an idea of what to include.post #75 of 2616/26/12 at 11:59pmpost #76 of 2616/26/12 at 11:59pmpost #77 of 2616/27/12 at 5:23pmpost #78 of 2616/27/12 at 5:41pm
I like the idea about writing about each other.... my cousin is adopting again and their "ad" sounds funny to me because she is writing it but calls herself by name in the first person- as if someone else wrote it- but in other places calls herself "I"
post #79 of 2617/8/12 at 5:21pm
I just found out my 19 YO niece is pregnant. You think you are ok but news like this can be a sucker punch in the gut. I am sure she is capable of being a good mom, and I can be there for her as she is estranged from everyone right now, and I think I am the first one to know. But first I must have a good cry.post #80 of 2617/9/12 at 11:55am
I got pregnant at 22 when my cousin and his wife were ttc. It was touchy I am sure... they did go on to adopt... right after I had my son and then my daughter. they are now trying to adopt again- they are in their fifties and want a newborn- I could not imagine having a newborn after 50... but regardless I remember feeling very guilty and I think there are posts on here about that...
- TTA (trying to adopt) Chat Thread
- Transracial adoption
- › Do things have to be even between siblings? just now
- › Wholefoods and Non-Recyclable Packaging 5 minutes ago
- › It looks like im not having a Home Birth this time around 7 minutes ago
- › Queer parents 7 minutes ago
- › I feel like I am the only one in the world that choses not to... 11 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC-Flower Moon 21 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 24th-May 31st~ 27 minutes ago
- › "I'm in labor!" thread - May 2013 DDC 28 minutes ago
- › Childbirth options with medicaid? 31 minutes ago
- › 40 week roll call! 33 minutes ago
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Glamourmom Nursing Bra Tank by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo