Mothering Top Picks
- topicFamily Bedtagged by System, 2/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- CIO method Last post on 2/17/14 at 11:39am in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
- I need help transitioning 2.5 year old to her own bed Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:01am in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
- Almost 4 year old needs constant touch to sleep? Last post on 9/13/13 at 11:39pm in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
- Crib guilt Last post on 8/28/13 at 8:36pm in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
- Family bed - how old is too old? Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:50pm in Co-sleeping and the Family Bed
Something's got to give: 9 month sleep craziness
My first thought is that he might be just about ready to hit another developmental milestone. Also, could he be teething (which might make it hard for him to settle, even if he's not in great pain)? Can your DH sleep on the couch while you get the baby to bed? Can you try putting him to bed a half hour earlier or later to see if it helps?
I definitely feel your pain, my ds didn't sleep well until he was almost 2yo and it was torture. Bedtimes were the absolute worst in my house until then. I'm sorry I don't have better advice.
My little guy has always been a "poor" sleeper, but he did this for a while around the same age and it was the worst! I woke up many mornings feeling more tired than I went to bed! No advice but just reassurance that it will pass... mostly! My DS (13 mo) occasionally has a recurrence of this for part of the night now usually coinciding with teething. But it is never as bad as it was around 9 mo. Good luck!
Well, we're in the same boat then. I will say that last night was better. I think the reason was that his first tooth is almost ALMOST through the gumline.
A few other things I tried last night that I think maybe (maybe?) made a difference. I'm of the mind that what works for one kid's sleep is unique to them and may or may not work for another. So totally not saying this is silver-bullet stuff, but it helped us out for last night at least...
1. I took a bath with him in warm water and olive oil. My son has terrible hives/exzema right now so we're battling that too. I also threw in a few chamomile teabags in the water. He got very giggly and happy in the bath- happier than he's been in a while.
2. I took him out, massaged him with Burt's Bees baby oil. He really seemed to like this.
3. He no longer nurses to sleep, and it feels like he can't stop himself from trying to crawl. He seems tired, but like he cannot turn himself off, so to speak. So last night, I laid him on his tummy in our bed, held his hands so he couldn't push up and try to crawl, and sang him to sleep. When he would get restless and try to crawl, I would gently pull his arms forward, helping him lay down again, and keep singing in his ear while I rubbed his back. He slept for a full 3 hours without moving once after this. Amazing.
Good luck to you, mama. Let's keep talking- let us know how you get on!
- › Confessions 47 seconds ago
- › Silly things you've been told about breastfeeding? 2 minutes ago
- › Grad Club: Where the group discussion continues after the ONE thread! 3 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 4 minutes ago
- › The BEST baby product you own? 8 minutes ago
- › Anger and losing temper 10 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Cravings 10 minutes ago
- › anyone conceive easily at 43? 19 minutes ago
- › Joint pain :( 21 minutes ago
- › Loving my imperfect mother/ adult child of mom with mental illness 24 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Marcy Axness
- › Homeschooling with YouTube by SavvyHomeschool
- › Closing the Door On Childbearing by Melanie Mayo
- › A Journey Through Childhood with Seuss by Melanie Mayo
- › Belly Binding for Prenatal Comfort and... by Kristen Tea
- › Mothering Pregnancy Photo Contest 2014 Terms... by Cynthia Mosher