Hi, TCACers! Someone recently mentioned that having questions related to intact care in the regular TCAC forum was maybe not the best placement, mainly because new folks in the throes of decision making may be put off or overwhelmed when reading about lots of intact problems.
I brought the issue up with the admin and they recommended we do a poll to see what everyone would feel is the best solution.
The options, plus some initial pros/cons are listed below (we're sure there are more--this was just to get us talking/thinking). We encourage you to vote in the poll, but also to leave your thoughts and comments here in the thread, too.
1. Change nothing. Questions on intact care are asked and answered in TCAC.
- Some have argued that there is a pool of expertise here that is unique to TCAC. Questions about intact care are best left as they are, in the main TCAC forum, where they get the best exposure and answers.
- TCAC is a safe place to talk about intact care where pro-circ commentary would be unwelcome.
- Folks in the midst of circ-related decision making will see the many problem posts and become more reticent to leave their babies intact. Due to the lack of problems listed related to circumcised penises and the lack of posts about problem-free intact boys, there seems to be an imbalanced view about intact care that could unnecessarily nudge folks toward circumcising.
- Topically, intact care doesn't seem to be a great fit in the general TCAC forum.
2. Send intact care questions to Health & Healing.
- Questions about caring for our children's vulvas and vaginas go in H&H, so it is a logical place for questions about caring for penises. Doing this will put intact care in a larger context and won't seem so overwhelming to TCAC newcomers.
- Questions about caring for circumcised penises will also be in H&H, so there may be a more balanced view of problems.
- Housing intact care questions outside of TCAC will force those who wish to contribute on the topic to ferret out the questions in H&H.
- Many TCACers who are passionate about intact care may not wish to do the above, and that would be a huge loss of expertise on the topic for those in need of answers/help/support.
- Moving intact care threads to H&H would technically open them up for commentary from those who circumcise. Because H&H is not a "safe space" as it were, folks who circ, or are pro-circ will have just as much ability/right to comment on those threads as anyone.
3. Create a subforum in TCAC called "Intact Care."
- Newcomers to TCAC would not have to take in a glut of intact problem posts when spending time in TCAC.
- Those who are most interested in offering answers/support on questions of intact care will have an easy way to find these topics.
- Intact care questions will still be in TCAC (although as a subforum), so folks get the benefit of TCAC expertise for their intact care questions.
- A subforum in TCAC would still be a safe place to talk about intact care where pro-circ commentary would be unwelcome.
- While intact care questions would be gone from the main TCAC forum, they would still be easily apprehended in their subforum; any newcomers would easily find a whole forum that would appear full of problems with intact penises
- Questions about intact care might not get the same exposure if they are in a subforum of TCAC instead.
Please feel free to add/subtract/edit the pros and cons above. If there are other options aside from the three we identified, we'd love to hear those, too.
To-Fu and Queen of the Meadow
Your TCAC Mods