or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › Does anyone live in campus housing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does anyone live in campus housing?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

The university I am hoping to attend this fall for a BSN program has on campus apartments for families. They are just down the street from the campus child care and pre school. There are several complexes ranging from 550 per month to 650 which is way cheaper than off campus housing! Each complex has a playground and I think it would be nice to have neighbors with little kids who are also in school. However they do not allow pets so I would have to give up any hope of getting my dog back or getting another pet.

 

My question is do these types of apartments have the usual credit check and rental history check? I will be getting financial aid to pay my rent just like everyone else living there so I'm hoping I can qualify despite my bad credit and rental history. If anyone has experience with campus family housing please share it!

post #2 of 6

We lived in Student Family housing, but that was 12 years ago (next month!!!).  There was no credit check then, and I would expect there to be none now--- the consequences for not paying your rent when you live in student housing are pretty severe: not only do you get evicted, you can also be unenrolled from classes.

 

Good luck!  I loved student housing :)

post #3 of 6

Around here it just 'depends'. Some complexes are contracted with campus and those do not credit check, others are listed as 'campus housing' but are not under contract and do run credit checks.  It depends how the rent is paid in this area.  Is the rent part of tuition or not?  If the student is responsible for paying rent then the apartment runs a check, essentially YOU are signing the lease just like any other tenant.

 

Is this apartment totally dedicated to all students for your university or will it be a mix of students and non students?  (this is a clue as to what the requirements will be)

 

Clear as mud  right?

post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Around here it just 'depends'. Some complexes are contracted with campus and those do not credit check, others are listed as 'campus housing' but are not under contract and do run credit checks.  It depends how the rent is paid in this area.  Is the rent part of tuition or not?  If the student is responsible for paying rent then the apartment runs a check, essentially YOU are signing the lease just like any other tenant.

 

Is this apartment totally dedicated to all students for your university or will it be a mix of students and non students?  (this is a clue as to what the requirements will be)

 

Clear as mud  right?

Yeah totally:)

There are three complexes that are for full time students only and the application is through the university. I am assuming I will not be doing a credit check to get into it:) I hope. I also hope to take the little money I save by living in campus housing and pay off my most recent landlord so by the time I get out of school I will have two references for rentals in the future.
 

 

post #5 of 6


I would call the school to double check. No need to give your name or anything. (then again I'm anal AND loud like that)

 

I thought you were living with your mom?  My parents/friends/roommates never were references.  They never showed up and still don't show up as references when people do a credit check. (or when employers verify old address etc).  

 

hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post


 

Yeah totally:)

There are three complexes that are for full time students only and the application is through the university. I am assuming I will not be doing a credit check to get into it:) I hope. I also hope to take the little money I save by living in campus housing and pay off my most recent landlord so by the time I get out of school I will have two references for rentals in the future.
 

 



 

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 

Yeah I moved back in with my mom in December but managed to rack up a few bad rental references thanks to my drunken ex! I hope to pay off my last landlord while living in campus housing so when I graduate I can have two references to give and cross my fingers!

I guess tomorrow I will call the campus housing manager and find out what it takes to get a rental through them.

Thanks!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post


I would call the school to double check. No need to give your name or anything. (then again I'm anal AND loud like that)

 

I thought you were living with your mom?  My parents/friends/roommates never were references.  They never showed up and still don't show up as references when people do a credit check. (or when employers verify old address etc).  

 

hug2.gif



 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › Does anyone live in campus housing?