Wendipauline, June is one of my favorite girls names of all time, and luckily for me we are having a boy because my husband thinks it's too 'literal' because of the month- his words not mine! My friend's grandma was 'Grandma June' and she was a feisty, whip-smart woman who in her day was a champion swimmer, and held her own against a really awful husband, did an excellent job raising her kids . . . so I've always loved that and don't think of the month of June when I hear the name at all. If I had a girl named June I know for sure that I would call her my June-bug or Junie-bug as a pet name.
Regarding Dexter, I also think it's a darling name, especially Dex, but I have to admit that the very first thing that came to mind was the show. And I watched at least the first 3 seasons, but it got to be more than I could comfortably watch (in terms of gore, and the danger this guy was willing to put his family in) and I started to feel upset after each episode, which is not like me, loved Sopranos, loved Rome etc, I don't mind some gore & violence, but this one just struck me as sad/painful so I stopped watching. On the other hand, everyone will have forgotten about it soon and as soon as they meet your Dex the association would be replaced with his image, you know? And, who cares what other people think!
My two other beloved girls names that are now on the back burner for the next baby are Hazel and Charlotte. The strange thing to me is that two prominent bloggers that I follow (Marvelous Kiddo and NieNie) have had baby girls in the last month, and of course their names are Hazel and Charlotte! If it was a girl we would have used Celeste as her middle name because it's my middle name and my momma's middle name.
For boys, we know that the middle name will be Cameron because it's DH's middle, and his Dad's and it's all over in the family. They come (3-4 generations back) from the Scottish clan Cameron, so it's a given that it will either be first or middle name for our boy. I grew up without a dad so I really want our boy to have strong connections to his paternal side. So my picks for boy's first name are:
- Henry (or french spelling Henri), DH doesn't love
- Erik, DH doesn't love
- Julian (or french spelling Julien), DH doesn't love
- Jack, family name, same name as the really bratty son a couple that DH and I can't stand :) and we have a lot of mutual friends
- James, my favorite, and a big family name on both sides, James Cameron is the name of the guy who directed Avatar, Titanic, etc so it's too famous a name for us to use comfortably.
- ****, we could name him directly after his paternal grandfather, and I won't say the name here, because I just don't like it :( It's not a bad name, and very common, but I can't picture myself using it and there aren't any good nicknames. DH's dad is amazing, and I would love to honor him that way, but we're already using his last name, and Cameron, so I feel like that's enough