- topicVegantagged by System, 3/7/12
Related Forum Threads
- Your vegetarian/vegan kid in a non-vegetarian environment Last post on 11/24/13 at 3:15pm in Vegetarian and Vegan
- Gluten Free and Vegan/Vegetarian? Last post on 12/1/13 at 3:37pm in Vegetarian and Vegan
- Fall "What's for Dinner" Thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:20 pm in Vegetarian and Vegan
- Recipes for Toddler-Approved Non-Dairy Milk Last post on 9/30/13 at 7:26pm in Vegetarian and Vegan
- Vegetarian/Vegan kids and puberty Last post on 10/13/13 at 2:04am in Vegetarian and Vegan
Black Bean Brownies (optionally vegan and gluten-free)
Last edited: 9/16/13
- Raising a Non-Vegan in a Vegan HouseholdLast edited: 7/18/13
- Raising a Non-Vegan in a Vegan Household
Vegan diet for fertility and pregnancy
I have a friend who became pregnant twice while being mostly vegan (with a little egg) and having very low body weight and fat; the first time was accidental, and the second time happened the very day she started trying, so it is clear that she had no fertility problems at all.
I am a vegan with a moderate amount of body fat, and I spent ages 33 through 35 trying to conceive. I was only successful after taking Clomid, and I have no idea if my diet was a factor. I did decide to almost entirely eliminate soy towards the end, after reading this article concerning genistein:
I'm back to having soy once per week now, and it's mostly tofu. Unfortunately, my moderate consumption of soy before reading this article was mostly tempeh, because I thought it was better for you. It might be, in some ways, but it contains more available (accessible by the body) genistein than tofu.
Otherwise, I don't know much about veganism and fertility, but I do know how to gain weight as a vegan. Just eat like me! Pancakes with syrup and Earth Balance, all-you-can eat dosa nights (at a South Indian restaurant), cookies, French fries, huge portions of everything, etc. (I do eat healthy food, too, but I am giving you some fattening examples.) At around 22 weeks of pregnancy, I had already gained 20 pounds (and I was of average weight before - not skinny), and my midwife was shocked when I told her what I'd eaten that day. I believe it was a large portion of dinner leftovers (white bean vegan quiche), something involving noodles and veggies for lunch, and a huge cookie for dessert. She told me that the carbs were making me gain weight, so I started incorporating things like seitan over greens (without bread or rice) as dinner occasionally.
Do you know if you're ovulating? That will tell you if you have enough body fat to get pregnant, since it will tell you something about whether your hormones are operating properly.
I have never had a problem with enough body fat :lol: but I have had two very healthy vegan pregnancies.
I've been vegan for 13 years and am 5'4" in height and fluctuate between 100-105lbs in weight. I eat very high calorie and high (good) fat foods but have never been one to gain much weight. The heaviest I've ever been was while pregnant and that was 132lbs. I've never heard of having to maintain a certain level of fat in order to get and remain pregnant, it makes sense but it was never mentioned to me. I've been pregnant while vegan twice and breastfed my son to age 2 or so. (I never continued with the first pregnancy). While pregnant and bf'ing I continued eating nutrient and calorie dense foods as well as fatty foods like nuts, nut butters, avocados and oils, but still didn't add any extra weight besides the baby.
Maybe something else was going on before that was unrelated to diet/weight? It definitely could have been an issue but there are many other factors that could have contributed as well.
- › Unitarian Universalist Thread or Group? 9 minutes ago
- › For fun: "Green mama problems" 10 minutes ago
- › Scary toys from memory lane! 16 minutes ago
- › Where to rent live reindeer for our front yard? 29 minutes ago
- › December chat thread! 29 minutes ago
- › Life with my twins ... Why is this getting harder every day? 47 minutes ago
- › Sleeping Arrangements 50 minutes ago
- › WWYD? NonVaxer having Crisis of Faith 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Post-partum check in here! 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Christmas gift ideas for ourselves? 2 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by dangill
- › The Night Before Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snow Queen by Melanie Mayo
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snowy Day by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Monica S
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo