or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › The scariest thing your babe has swallowed...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The scariest thing your babe has swallowed...

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I called the public health nurse who said that the tiny sliver of foam (from a brush we bought to paint and print her footprint, but never used) that she got hold of and very quickly swallowed was not a major cause for concern and gave me instructions. I guess I'm just looking for some commiseration so I don't feel like the world's worst mom. Talk me down off the edge, moms...

post #2 of 11

Ha! You shouldn't worry.  My kid ate the plastic top off of a camilia teething tube today. She put the closed tube in her mouth, got the top off ans swallowed it and the contents of the tube.  #parentingfail!  She's also eaten dog kibble twice.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks!!! I actually can't give the dog her bully chew treats when they are in the same room together because my daughter will crawl over and grab it right out of the dog's mouth! She's gotten it into her mouth (no consumption, thankfully) a couple of times. And I recently found out what the "bully chews" actually are and that makes it extra-specially (I know that's not a real word but it really fits here) gross.

Guess I need to start being careful with the camilia now too.  Jeepers, keeping them alive is work...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

Ha! You shouldn't worry.  My kid ate the plastic top off of a camilia teething tube today. She put the closed tube in her mouth, got the top off ans swallowed it and the contents of the tube.  #parentingfail!  She's also eaten dog kibble twice.



 

post #4 of 11

Oh the list goes on and on . . . dog food, crayola crayon tip, a piece of coal from the fireplace (when he stood up and turned around he had this black drool coming out of his mouth!  I totally freaked!), a pine needle (whole and the long way - came out like it went in), something at the playground the other day (hopefully a rock).  Don't sweat it mama! :)

post #5 of 11

DD swallowed a few coins.  I freaked and took her for xrays.  They came out in her poop within a day or two.

post #6 of 11

when my ds was 1 he ate all the points off dd's new box of crayons.  Now that was a pretty diaper...

post #7 of 11

When we were much younger I fed my brother grass, twigs, Play-dough, over a dollar in change...  the only ill effect was my poor mother had to go through his diapers like she was panning for gold.  He's fine.  Now I mainly feed him dinner (when I get to see him). 

 

That being said, I am NOT looking forward to the terror when my little mouth ingests something she maybe should not.

 

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the responses ladies! Very reassuring - I was worried about coins big time, and good for a much needed chuckle too, "...panning for gold" hahaha!

post #9 of 11

A sticky hand.   You know the little prize thingy you can get at the dentist?  My 3rd child who is now 7 y.o swallowed one.  She was over a year, but less than 2.  And she swallowed the entire thing, totally unnoticed by me until it came out in her diaper.  The whole thing,  The hand, the 6 inch long "string", and the little loop at the end.  It is a miracle that it passed completely and didn't get stuck somewhere in her intestine.  I felt like mom of the year opening up her diaper and seeing that in a pile of poo.  

post #10 of 11

My niece ate one of the little christmas tree lights - chewed the thing up and swallowed it, while drooling blood and flakes of purple glass. No hard done, apparently. 

post #11 of 11

when my son was two i was pg with my dd and i took bachs rescue remedy it had a little glass dropper thing- and I would give it to him to- mw said it was ok to- well he chomped down on it and swallowed- yes he swallowed glass and it cut his lip- not bad but there was bleeding.

 

Oh my- I freaked out- called er- whole nine- they said that small amount of glass would not harm him and it would be more harmful to him to go in and get it then let it come out naturally.

 

foam- that's nothing lol.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › The scariest thing your babe has swallowed...