so my 9 week old has been going to bed with us at around 10pm after a big feeding, and sleeping soundly until about 4 or 5am. he is appearing to be more and more tired in the evenings - so my question is, when does a baby around this age start to go to bed earlier? i'm thinking i can put him to bed around 8 instead of 10 and he will sleep until 2 or so? just wondering with mom's who have been here before - when does bedtime get earlier?
Related Forum Threads
- 1 YO still waking every 45 mins-hour at night....am I the only one??? Last post on Yesterday at 10:54 am in Life With a Babe
- Any BTDT advice for the first few weeks with newborn twins? Last post on Today at 4:37 am in Parenting Multiples
- 9 month old hasnt grown much since 7 months Last post on 5/12/13 at 5:04am in Life With a Babe
- Colic/Foremilk-hindmilk imbalance/possible reflux/food intolerance? Or, is Grandma just super... Last post on 5/15/13 at 12:56pm in Life With a Babe
- How old were you when you had your first baby? Last post on Yesterday at 11:32 am in Birth and Beyond
10 Things You Don't Need For a New Baby
Edited on 1/19/13
- Holiday time: when family & friends criticise your parenting...Edited on 11/19/12
- Incorporating Mindfulness into MotherhoodEdited on 3/31/13
- My Declaration of Independence, by Leone (who turns one today)Edited on 3/11/13
- The Baby is 11 Months Old Today, or, How I've Learned to Let...Edited on 3/19/13
2 month old's bedtime?post #1 of 53/12/12 at 11:04pmThread Starterpost #2 of 53/16/12 at 12:13am
DS started to go to bed earlier around 3 months. It was a gradual change though. I would spend a few days getting him to bed about 15 minutes earlier than he had been (so if he went to bed at 11 I would spend a few days getting him to bed at 10:45). Sometimes it would be 30 minutes earlier. Enjoy him sleeping so well! Mine did that till about 3 or 4 months and he is a year now and still wakes up frequently throughout the night.post #3 of 53/16/12 at 12:50pm
my LO naturally did his longest sleep starting at around 9 from about day 1 (i know i'm lucky!). at about 6 weeks i made a conscious decision to do bedtime routine (long diaper change, a belly rub and a big feed) at 8pm. this seemed to work well enough until last month (he was about 3 months old by then) he was tired long before 8. so, one night i said ok, 7pm bedtime. and he just did it! i usually have to go back about an hour after he's gone down for the night to nurse him or comfort hum, but then he sleeps until about midnight.
i've been lucky in the sense that my LO has always seemed to know when nighttime is, and that night time is for sleeping. so i've never had to 'train' him into a earlier bedtime.
so that's my experience.
hope that helps. good luck!post #4 of 53/17/12 at 5:57pm
I'm so jealous.....my 10 week old doesn't even sleep a long enough stretch to call it bedtime/nighttime. He nurses every hour usually....mostly comforting sucking but still sucking nonetheless!post #5 of 53/20/12 at 2:11pmThread Starter
thanks for the input! last night i put him to bed when he got tired after a big feeding at around 9/9:30, and he ended up waking up at 1:30 and and then again after that. not sure it was related to the earlier bedtime - but i can say it makes me want to stick to the 10pm to 530am scenario!
and although my LO is a good sleeper so far, i know that things can change at any moment! :) and i really really swear by swaddling. we only swaddle at night which helps signal bedtime for him, but i know that when he stirs in the middle of the night, not having his hands up to startle him helps a ton. i know it would keep him up because i see it happen during naps sometimes.
- 2 month old's bedtime?
- Holiday time: when family & friends criticise your parenting...
- › Weekly Chat - May 7 to May 13 1 minute ago
- › Trying to Adopt/Foster 2013 Chat Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Dinner - What Are You Having? 4 minutes ago
- › Reproductive immunology, anyone? 10 minutes ago
- › Need advice- obsessed Grandma causing problems 14 minutes ago
- › Suddenly very clingy 17 month old 14 minutes ago
- › UP and Maternity Leave 16 minutes ago
- › Petrified of giving birth this time around 18 minutes ago
- › When in pregnancy did your milk dry up? 25 minutes ago
- › How would you deal with this bilingual child's issue? 25 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11