I've never used OPKs before. I started using them to hopefully pinpoint ovulation, but I do realize that I may not ovulate before getting my first PP period. Baby is almost 10 mo's, I got my period back last time while still breastfeeding at 10 mo's, so I thought it might return around this time. I find these tests frustrating though, I always get the two lines, and most days it appears the same as the control line, just slightly less (like one strip of the test line is just as dark as the control, and the rest is just slightly less dark, like you really have to look at it up close to tell). So, I also know that the surge only happens once, so all these tests where the lines appear just about as dark, still mean a negative...but I get this result almost everyday and have been for a month now..so should I just give up and not bother? What are the chances that I would ovulate before my first PP period? Thanks for any tips.
Mothering Top Picks
Related Forum Threads
- Paragard Last post on 5/15/13 at 4:49am in Family Planning
- "Advanced" maternal age Last post on 5/13/13 at 2:27pm in Family Planning
- child spacing Last post on 5/19/13 at 6:33am in Family Planning
- No Period Yet bc Breastfeeding 14-month-old, but I could swear I'm pregnant!! Last post on 5/13/13 at 11:16am in Family Planning
- Talk to me about periods/other symptoms after copper IUD removal Last post on 4/29/13 at 11:57am in Family Planning
I Got My Period...I Got My POWER!
Edited on 3/25/13
- Honoring Our CyclesEdited on 8/24/12
- Secondary InfertilityEdited on 10/18/12
- Guest Blogger Brenda Strong (Mary Alice Young on Desperate...Edited on 3/15/13
- Reconceiving Conception: 5 Likely Suspects in Unexplained...Edited on 10/18/12
OPK's before your first period PP, help pleasepost #1 of 53/17/12 at 8:15amThread Starterpost #2 of 53/19/12 at 9:38pm
I havent used them, but I have heard that they are very unreliable and pretty much worthless....
Are you practicing ecological breastfeeding? Here is an article I just came across http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/ about fertility after baby. I am interested to know if your baby is on solids, how much you BF, etc, because I am wondering when I will be fertile again as well, DS is 4.5months, no period yet.....post #3 of 53/23/12 at 7:50pm
You're likely to get a lot of false positives before your first PP O because your body is likely to try to ovulate multiple times before it is successful, and the OPK's will catch the attempts. Charting CM would be more reliable or look up the Marqette Method's breastfeeding protocol for using the Clear Blue easy fertility monitor to know when you might be fertile while breastfeeding.
Approximately 2/3 of women ovulate before their first PPAF. Of those, about half have a long enough luteal phase to sustain a pregnancy. Estimates for pregnancy before the first PPAF are about 6-10%
1love4ever, if you are breastfeeding ecologically, your fertility is most likely to return between 9 and 18 months, though there's a lot of variation. Ecological breastfeeding is about 98-99% effective for the first 6 months, and then its effectiveness begins to wane, but there are natural ways to be able to spot the return to fertility.
Both of you, feel free to join the Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness thread for more information and discussions on fertility while breastfeeding and other times.post #4 of 53/24/12 at 10:06pm
Thanks! So funny, I got my first period the day after I posted that :/ Baby is not quite 4.5 months old!! What the heck? Baby never has gone more than maybe 2hrs without breastfeeding, and he sucks a lot for comfort, I dont see why I got it back already! Think it could have anything to do with my first baby and that I did not practice ecological BFing with her (I did BF her, just not ecological)? I got period back at the same time with her- 4 months.
I would love to start charting but have noooo idea where to start! I'll look into your thread. I dont have time to read a ton tho so is there anywhere that its just all layed out for me and I can just do what it says? Lol, sorry that sounds so lazy!post #5 of 53/27/12 at 12:46pm
Check out the fertility Wikis at the bottom of the first post of the Charting to Avoid/Fertility Awareness thread. There's a quick start rules for FAM on there and information about different types of charting, etc.
- OPK's before your first period PP, help please
- Honoring Our Cycles
- › May 2013 Chit Chat 11 minutes ago
- › Orthokeratology for Children 16 minutes ago
- › I just got a call from my day care provider 16 minutes ago
- › "A Nation of Wimps" 18 minutes ago
- › Need car seat for tall 4 year old 20 minutes ago
- › Stressed about Nursing Strike 21 minutes ago
- › Nursing Mamas TTC May 21 minutes ago
- › How do I take care of these? (Wool covers) 24 minutes ago
- › Fixing the world, one "mixed' baby at a time 25 minutes ago
- › SC - North Charleston/Moncks Corner Area Birth Options 26 minutes ago
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo