or Connect
Mothering › Groups › August 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Weekly Chat Thread 3/19

Weekly Chat Thread 3/19 - Page 7

post #121 of 154

I have had several scans and have never been given water instructions.  They do ask me to empty my bladder beforehand.  It really has never been a big deal and they get the information they need.

post #122 of 154

I've always been told that for a vaginal ultrasound, you must have an empty bladder, for an abdominal one (for the anatomy scan anyway) to have a full one.  After she checked my cervix she had me go pee since she didn't need my bladder full anymore.

post #123 of 154
Thread Starter 

The only time I was told to drink a ton was when I went for the 3D/4D scan back with Cecilia. That was because the higher the level of amniotic fluid, the clearer the resolution in the 3D pictures. And they definitely told me to pee before laying down for the scan!

post #124 of 154

I don't drink any water for ultrasounds, I did with DS1 and it was not cool.  Mind you I don't have a lot of extra "padding" so everything is pretty front and center anyway.

Sure makes the whole experience a lot more relaxing :)

 

 

As for bringing children...well I bring mine EVERYWHERE but can't for ultrasounds. They have a strict "no extra people" rule, then when they're done you can bring your husband/partner/friend whoever in (one at a time) to see, and they're happy to print photos.

My last one, a couple years ago, I didn't have a babysitter so DH had to meet me in town and took the kids for a picnic/walk in the middle of his work day lol!

This time I was fortunate enough to have a friend I swap babysitting with.

Although the tech gave me a funny look when she offered to have a visitor come in to see pics, and I said I was by myself.  I don't see the big deal, I have pics to take home to DH. And it's quite the run-around for him to take time off work.   Same for midwife appointments, he doesn't come with me to them either.

 

post #125 of 154

Oh! I have a question :)

 

 

So at my first midwife appointment, with a LMP of Nov. 5th, she tried to tell me I was due Aug. 14th. I corrected her and said no, it's the 11th.

Really, it's not a big deal either way, I know. My first was 9 days over, second was 2 weeks early, third was on her "due date".  So it's a crap shoot regardless.

 

But it bugs me that she seriously thinks this! I've checked multiple calculators, even counted the days manually, and it all adds up to the 11th.

Plus my u/s agrees with the 11th.

Should I bring it up again, or just hope she picks up the correct date from my u/s report?  Or should I just drop it all together?

I think I'm just annoyed that she didn't listen, and that she's wrong, more than the specific date...

post #126 of 154

Is she with a hospital? The hospital mine work with requires you to either transfer care at 42 weeks or induce. (YET ANOTHER REASON WHY ILLINOIS BLOWS)  So my ladies are very HAPPY to adjust a due date to something later to "buy time" because the last thing they want to do is induce a baby that's not "done cookin" . 

 

 

She might be trying to buy you some time. :) 

post #127 of 154

To be honest, I haven't really ever followed the "full bladder" directions before...especially when they say things like drink X amount one hour before your appointment.  Yeah, right.  I think, when I made the appt. for next Friday, the woman told me to drink some ridiculous amount of water - 32 ounces? two hours before?!!  I totally wasn't paying attention.  The last scan I had, I probably drank about 10-12 ounces tops and the scan itself was short so it wasn't a huge problem.  Actually, I assume they will let me empty my bladder, as PP have said, after the tech checks the cervix, etc...but I have an anxious bladder, anyway (i.e. when I'm nervous I feel like I have to pee, sorry for the TMI) and on top of that, I'm pregnant (duh) so I imagine even if they "let" me use the bathroom in the middle of the scan(s) (BTW, how ridiculous that I'm even worried that they will "let" me pee?  I'm not going to be strapped down and I know where the restrooms are...I'm not in elementary school anymore) that my bladder will still be unhappy because I'm going to be nervous.

post #128 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by keuriweo View Post

To be honest, I haven't really ever followed the "full bladder" directions before...especially when they say things like drink X amount one hour before your appointment.  Yeah, right.  I think, when I made the appt. for next Friday, the woman told me to drink some ridiculous amount of water - 32 ounces? two hours before?!!  I totally wasn't paying attention.  The last scan I had, I probably drank about 10-12 ounces tops and the scan itself was short so it wasn't a huge problem.  Actually, I assume they will let me empty my bladder, as PP have said, after the tech checks the cervix, etc...but I have an anxious bladder, anyway (i.e. when I'm nervous I feel like I have to pee, sorry for the TMI) and on top of that, I'm pregnant (duh) so I imagine even if they "let" me use the bathroom in the middle of the scan(s) (BTW, how ridiculous that I'm even worried that they will "let" me pee?  I'm not going to be strapped down and I know where the restrooms are...I'm not in elementary school anymore) that my bladder will still be unhappy because I'm going to be nervous.


See the only one that required a full bladder for me was the dating one at 6 weeks. I'm quite fluffy so she had to use the magical vag-wand to even get anything and when she COULD NOT see anything she said, ok, i'm gonna leave the room, bathroom's to the right, crack the door open when you're ready! 

 

for my 20 week, didn't need it And let me repeat, I am quite "fluffy" 

 

post #129 of 154
Thread Starter 

Yeah, even with the dildocam they didn't make me do the full bladder thing, which is really quite awesome of them.

post #130 of 154


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetchotchkes View Post


See the only one that required a full bladder for me was the dating one at 6 weeks. I'm quite fluffy so she had to use the magical vag-wand to even get anything and when she COULD NOT see anything she said, ok, i'm gonna leave the room, bathroom's to the right, crack the door open when you're ready! 

 

for my 20 week, didn't need it And let me repeat, I am quite "fluffy" 

 


Oh, I don't think I really need to have a full bladder, either.  Maybe my perinatal clinic is staffed by sadists?  I suspect that some people may genuinely need a full bladder under certain circumstances so it's just easier for them to tell all of us to have one.  I plan to sip water on the drive over (I carry a water bottle around with me and sip water throughout the day, anyway) and call it good.  Due to my anxiety issues, there is no way that I could deal with a truly full bladder - even for a short scan, let alone this 2-hour affair I'm facing.   

post #131 of 154

Tizzy, let her keep your due date a few days later.  It's for your benefit if you go over dates!  I'm due the 10th! 

post #132 of 154
Tizzy, I second the notion that your Mw wants to buy you time. Mine did the same thing. LMP nov. 6 haha and now have a dd of 8/17. Fine by me smile.gif
post #133 of 154

First potty training accident, and it's a poop.  D'oh.  Just what I needed this morning.

 

I feel completely confused on how to go about this.

post #134 of 154

 

Quote:
Let her keep your due date a few days later.  It's for your benefit if you go over dates!  I'm due the 10th!

 

 

I agree. The later they are 'off' by the better. They will panic a lot less if you are 'late'

post #135 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post

First potty training accident, and it's a poop.  D'oh.  Just what I needed this morning.

 

I feel completely confused on how to go about this.


My sister did the weekend naked train thing with her kids and with some of the kids she's nannied for over the years. If you want, I can get a write-up from her, but basically it consists of picking a weekend, having the kid be completely naked or just in a shirt, and going every 15 minutes or so. She also ran water a lot of times to encourage pee. orngbiggrin.gif

post #136 of 154

how do you make them go every 15mins or so? We need to do this also, we've been terribly about trying..

post #137 of 154
Thread Starter 

Just announce that it's potty time and take them in. Pretty sure my sister gave a couple of minutes warning each time, too, to prepare them. She always used the potty ring on the big toilet style ones that required being in the actual bathroom, but I imagine that the free-standing ones would work fine too.

post #138 of 154

Honestly, potty learning is best done without force or coercion. If you are taking them every 15 minutes, they aren't ready. I've done this 4 going on 5 times now... and the one child I pushed to go potty took me 9 mos to completely 'train'. Not worth the effort and aggravation. The next 3 I left it up to them while still making the potty part of our daily routine. The boys were ALL over 3 when it clicked for them and my first daughter did it all on her own at just past 2. Part of it is personality and part of it is how you introduce it. If there's any pressure it often leads to delays, accidents, and regressions. Also, just as an FYI aside, potty training while pregnant is kind of counterproductive as they WILL have regressions once baby comes along... it's great to get the process started but definitely be open to accidents once baby arrives.

post #139 of 154

 

Quote:
Also, just as an FYI aside, potty training while pregnant is kind of counterproductive as they WILL have regressions once baby comes along... it's great to get the process started but definitely be open to accidents once baby arrives.

 

makes sense.. I was just wondering about this today..

 

 

On a side note- I have my next scan Tuesday.. so anxious.. !

post #140 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post

Honestly, potty learning is best done without force or coercion. If you are taking them every 15 minutes, they aren't ready. I've done this 4 going on 5 times now... and the one child I pushed to go potty took me 9 mos to completely 'train'. Not worth the effort and aggravation. The next 3 I left it up to them while still making the potty part of our daily routine. The boys were ALL over 3 when it clicked for them and my first daughter did it all on her own at just past 2. Part of it is personality and part of it is how you introduce it. If there's any pressure it often leads to delays, accidents, and regressions. Also, just as an FYI aside, potty training while pregnant is kind of counterproductive as they WILL have regressions once baby comes along... it's great to get the process started but definitely be open to accidents once baby arrives.


Definitely the method I prefer (and am doing), but I know not everyone agrees with it. shrug.gif

 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2012 Birth Club
Mothering › Groups › August 2012 Birth Club › Discussions › Weekly Chat Thread 3/19