I guess the most rewarding thing about raising daughters is to be a witness to their strength and their sensitivity. They both have strong personalities but in different ways. For instance, my oldest daughter is very mature, and bright, and stoic. While my youngest daughter- who also is very bright, is very boisterous. They both are very silly, and intuitive, and nurturing. It is also very rewarding to hear them play nicely with each other!! That may sound crazy, but they have a five yr age difference, so getting along isn't always the easiest ;)
After having two, and realizing how differently you must parent each child, I want to remain open to listening to their needs as we bring another baby into our family. I also want to remain vigilant in hearing the needs of our new babe! I feel mostly proud of my parenting, and was a single parent up until a year ago. Co-parenting with my amazing husband has had it's ups and downs. I hope to became a better parenting partner as we enter this new phase of parenthood.
Our last major traveling was last summer, and we went to The Gorge in Washington state, Lake Tahoe, and up and down the California coast between Humboldt county and San Fransisco. We try exploring state parks, and national forests as mush as possible, never staying in the same place twice- unless we really love it! This summer we have plans to visit our families in NC, SC, and to catch some phish shows on the east coast :)
1. We just saw The Lorax over the weekend- adorable! I also saw a hilarious quirky indie film that I cannot for the life of me remember the title. It had Colin Hanks, and Ann Margaret.
2. I did spend about 5 years as a vegetarian in my early twenty's. Went back to eating everything. Back to vegetarian, now I am mostly vegan except for eggs and fish! That prob sounds crazy to any hard core vegan, but I rationalize it (in my mind) by buying eggs from a farm up the road where there live very happy chickens, and only buying wild, line caught fish. My semi- veganism is based partly on animal rights, and partly on how my body feels the best.
3. It's hard for me to pick a 'hot topic' since I am not that vocal about my belief systems and how they may be better than another. I disagree with modern medicine unless it's absolutely necessary, fear based religion, and hitting children. I feel strongly about human rights, breastfeeding, knowing where your food comes from, setting boundaries, and seeking spirit within :)
4. We have one family car- a Ford Explorer. I hate how much it costs to put gas in, but I love that as we grow our family we have room for everyone (plus a friend or two)!
5. Fave TV show of right now is Modern Family. Although, I do love some ridiculous reality crap every now and then!
6. I can't think of one specific toy from childhood. But I would still love to have my blankie! My mother took it away when I was still very young, and I still remember how traumatic that was :( I am now a firm believer in following the lead of my children, and allowing them to wean themselves from whatever, whenever!