or Connect
Mothering › Groups ›  April 2012 DDC › Discussions › First clothes?

First clothes? - Page 2

post #21 of 37

First clothes(which I have rolled up lovingly in the birth basket and go pull out and stare at in amazement every couple days) will be a diaper, soft onesie(I have never had onesies irratate baby), sleeper gown, socks, and a hat. I tend to be a bit Waldorfy in keeping babies warm! Sleeper gowns work wonderfully because I just lift for diaper changes, no buttons to fumble with(my fingers usually swell postpartum). It always amuses me how chickeny their legs look, no matter how big they are. I will say that sleeper gowns are terrible for carseats, you have to hitch them up to get to the buckle. :/

  I Love the link to the muslin gowns!

post #22 of 37

I agree that the gowns are absolutely INVALUABLE. They are the very best for the early days...especially at night because they make diaper changes easy. They are soft and comfy and keep baby warmer than just a onesie. They are a MUST HAVE IMO. I have about 15 of them (figuring that baby's clothes get changed several times throughout a day as well) and I use them until little feet stick out the bottom and they no longer fit. Most are long and will fit for a few months. LOVE THEM! The majority of my newborn baby clothes are gowns, with just a few footie sleepers and other comfy outfits for when baby has to go in the carseat and gowns won't work.

post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudade View Post

I agree that the gowns are absolutely INVALUABLE. They are the very best for the early days...especially at night because they make diaper changes easy. They are soft and comfy and keep baby warmer than just a onesie. They are a MUST HAVE IMO. I have about 15 of them (figuring that baby's clothes get changed several times throughout a day as well) and I use them until little feet stick out the bottom and they no longer fit. Most are long and will fit for a few months. LOVE THEM! The majority of my newborn baby clothes are gowns, with just a few footie sleepers and other comfy outfits for when baby has to go in the carseat and gowns won't work.



Haha. I hate gowns with a passion. Hate them. They are totally useless to me! They sneak up and baby's legs are always cold.

 

Funny how different people are ...

post #24 of 37

lol I am glad it is not just me! I thought I was the only weird one that didn't like them. I like a onesie, socks and a blanket or two.  It is funny how different preferences are :)

post #25 of 37

I also HATED gowns with DD. I was shocked so many people love them! I used a lot of onesies and footed sleepers with her. She was born mid-May and within a few weeks of her birth, it was full-on summer so she was mostly just in diapers or diapers & onesies!

post #26 of 37
I love gowns too:) if it's a bit chilly I'll put a pair of longies and socks on baby and that works well:) I also sleep with baby practically in my armpit all night long so that may be keeping them warmer than usual;) I usually put baby in a footed sleeper for daytime as I wear them in the ring sling most of the day.
post #27 of 37
LOL, DD slept SO hot (still does at almost 7 yrs...the whole winter I think she wore pj's 5 times) so maybe that's why gowns worked so well for us ;-) This time I'm also thinking they'll very conveniently fit over our somewhat bulky wool night diaper covers too, yay!
post #28 of 37

I never had a problem with them creeping up, they were always so long on my LOs and I remember having a few that you could cinch up at the bottom to tie them closed (haven't seen those in awhile) but they were still easier to open for diaper changes than dealing with all the snaps. I was also thinking about wool when I got so many of them. I have 4 wool soakers that will fit under the gowns better than any sleeper I have for her yet. Also, they are great for summer babies (I had 2 spring and 2 summer newbies) because you can find really thin gowns (the cheapies like Gerber).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasa View Post

LOL, DD slept SO hot (still does at almost 7 yrs...the whole winter I think she wore pj's 5 times) so maybe that's why gowns worked so well for us ;-) This time I'm also thinking they'll very conveniently fit over our somewhat bulky wool night diaper covers too, yay!


 

post #29 of 37

My sister made a romper for my lo.  It is VERY cute love.gif so that is what he/she will wear home.  When at home the lo will be in gowns (I love them, too!), sleepers and onsies with leg warmers.  We dont go out and about too much when baby is really small, so I don't have much for actual CLOTHES yet.  Plus we don't know the gender, so this lil one will be in green and yellow for a lil while!

post #30 of 37

I love reading you first time momma's posts.  It makes me feel envious of that time.  Trust your momma hearts, and you will do just fine.  As you can see, everyone has such different preferences, and you will have a million different "experts" telling you exactly what to do (not that anyone here is doing that, but there are those...) and all you need to do it what feels right to you and your babe.  You will be so amazed at how natural it will come to you - you will just know how to care for your little one, as long as you listen to what your heart is telling you.

 

AFM - I don't have any thought of a "first" outfit.  Assuming everything goes according to plan, I will have the baby at home, and baby will just wear whatever sleeper is on top of the pile. Of course, I've got the "Born at Home" shirt from Flavorful that I will definitely put on to brag with, but I've not got anything else planned.  Heck, I don't even have a name picked out, let alone an outfit.

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post
AFM - I don't have any thought of a "first" outfit.  Assuming everything goes according to plan, I will have the baby at home, and baby will just wear whatever sleeper is on top of the pile. ... Heck, I don't even have a name picked out, let alone an outfit.

This ^^ exactly.
 

 

post #32 of 37

Count another towards the not fond of gowns group! I thought I was the only one.  I'm the biggest hoarder and when going through DD's baby stuff I did not keep one, that's how much I didn't like them! haha. She was very active moving her legs all the time so she hated them. Also, she slept on my chest for the first few months so they would get hot.  

 

For this baby, I got a few organic kushies outfits off amazon and a bunch of organic onesies.  I also ordered the most precious little knit bear hat and diaper cover off etsy :)  We don't know the sex so everything is cream!

post #33 of 37
Thread Starter 

Well, I bought a few kimono shirts, and unless baby boy is cold, he'll probably be skin-to-skin with me for a good long while (plus a dipe) before we put other stuff on him. Thanks for the discussion and suggestions ladies!!!

post #34 of 37
Well, shoot. Now it's cold here, and I can't imagine putting my little bambino in short pants and heading out into the wide world. Maybe I'll look into some more kimono options and see what I can come up with!
post #35 of 37

Now it's really HOT here and I'm thinking my newborn clothes are too warm! Especially for sleeping, which I'm sure will be on my chest.

post #36 of 37

I had two July babies...in the dead heat of the summer. I remember still swaddling them (really light muslin would be good) and just onesies! I never had a/c either. Of course they seemed to not notice the heat at all and be totally oblivious and regulate their temps to adjust just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChick View Post

Now it's really HOT here and I'm thinking my newborn clothes are too warm! Especially for sleeping, which I'm sure will be on my chest.



 

post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudade View Post

I had two July babies...in the dead heat of the summer. I remember still swaddling them (really light muslin would be good) and just onesies! I never had a/c either. Of course they seemed to not notice the heat at all and be totally oblivious and regulate their temps to adjust just fine!



 



Good to know! I have a ton of onesies. I just want to get use of the cute little long sleeve outfits I bought and the crocheted hat :) 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2012 DDC
Mothering › Groups ›  April 2012 DDC › Discussions › First clothes?