My 3 year old caught chicken pox from me when I had shingles. I did all kinds of things to try to help him, but he had about 5-6 very large, angry pox that are now big craters. The scabs fell off too early and I'm wondering if it's because I gave him really long baths or put too much oil on him. He did not scratch because they didn't really itch. Now he will have those deep scars forever because the fatty tissue under the top layer of skin is gone. :(
His older brother (6) and his younger brother (10 months) caught it from him, and I want to do better for them. The pox started showing up today. The older one is already wanting to scratch. I've started applying coconut oil.
After extensive google searches and reading, I had a list of things to use, but not many instructions on how or when. I read hundreds of CP posts here and didn't get much info about treatment.
Please look at my treatment program for my 3-year-old and tell me what I did right and what I did wrong.
- Pre-eruption - day 1 of pox: Did nothing
- Day 2: Applied coconut oil
- Day 2-4: Hour-long baths with infant oatmeal and baking soda. Applied coconut oil. Started giving him smoothies loaded with all the supplements I've heard will help.
- Day 5-7: Hour-long baths with pau d'arco tea, strained regular oatmeal, coconut oil, local honey, baking soda, and some infant oatmeal again. I applied bentonite clay after the bath. Later applied coconut oil. Also applied weleda diaper rash cream to bad ones (this was an accident as it looks just like the calendula cream). Continued with smoothies.
- After scabs fell off: Applied honey, then vit E. He hates both, so I'm not doing much now. I'm worried about bad scarring.
I've heard about all kinds of things to apply, but I guess the main questions I have are when to apply what (e.g., when to keep them oiled and when to dry them out, how long to soak). And maybe I should try a green clay mask in the early stages? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!